Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

#*&!!$## MICE Invasion!!!

7t9shark

Corvette
1979 Green-Leather
I don't get it, I've stored the car for 20 winters invarious places with no hint of mouse activity. (except for under the hood)

Today, when I did my pre-spring inspection I found a nice present of dash insulation packed into my glove compartment. I'm not happy. It boggles the imagination as to how the heck they got inside. :mad

So, how do you other seasonal drivers managed to fend off the little critters? (other than moth balls - that ain't gonna happen)

Thnx

A. J.

Welcome to the CAC.

Before I had my shop we would strore the Corvettes in my inlaws pole barn. We just put mouse poisen in the open boxes under the cars all around and never had a problem. One year we didn't get around to doing it right away and the little buggers put teeth marks on the shifter boot and the right arm rest on the '81, plus droppings.

Now I keep them in my shop and I have no problem. I have never had any trace of mice in there but now and then I let 3 or 4 of the cats in when I'm working. In a short time they will have had their little noses into ever crook and crany in the whole place. If there was any smell of mouse they would be on top of it.

Tom

I have had success with bounce dryer sheets. I place them on the carpet throughout the interior. Probably overkill but I put one on top of each tire and in the engine bay and have not had any issues for 6 years. I have mouse traps in the garage and I have caught mice, but none in the car. It smells ok when you open it up in the spring as well.

I have also heard of using Bounce sheets. A buddy of mine has stored his 'Cuda like that for years and hasn't had any mice since he started doing it.

OK, that's two testimonials for Bounce Dryer sheets and one for a cat. I've heard the dryer sheet thing before too, but figured it was an "urban legend". Might give it a try. I'm afraid to use poison, because the critters will carry it inside the car, then die there.

In the mean time, the mouse (trap) buffet is now serving 24/7.

Thanks to all. Good forum.

A. J.

USE CAUTION!

Ya'll be very careful cleaning mouse "evidence" Hunta Virus is carried in the saliva, urine and feces of Deer Mice. THE nesting materials will be filthy with this kind of stuff... Wear a mask, gloves and WASH YOUR HAND AFTER removing this material!

MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Hantavirus

When I have your wounded
Charlie

Dustoff,

Good point about the germs. I took the glove box out, and washed everything inside and out with water laced with a heavy dose of bleach. (including my hands) I also used a mask and a shop vac to do the initial extraction of the nasties. So, I washed that out with bleach, too.:puke

No permanent damage to the 'Vette, thank goodness. (except for some underdash insulation now missing.)

While I was cleaning things up, I happened to look at my heater controls and noticed that last fall I left them in the Vent position. In previous years, I always positioned both levers in the Cool/OFF position. That might have made the difference.

A. J.

Dustoff,

Good point about the germs. I took the glove box out, and washed everything inside and out with water laced with a heavy dose of bleach. (including my hands) I also used a mask and a shop vac to do the initial extraction of the nasties. So, I washed that out with bleach, too.:puke

No permanent damage to the 'Vette, thank goodness. (except for some underdash insulation now missing.)

While I was cleaning things up, I happened to look at my heater controls and noticed that last fall I left them in the Vent position. In previous years, I always positioned both levers in the Cool/OFF position. That might have made the difference.

A. J.

Agree with the concern about Hanta Virus but you don't need to use full strength bleach to solve the problem. Put some bleach in a spray bottle of water and just make sure that you can smell the chlorine. These viruses are spread because the dust/dirt is kicked up and you inhale that. Spraying the area with a dilute spray of bleach water beforehand will cut down on that substantially. Then you can go with the a bit stronger wash down solution.

I can attest to the Bounce dryer sheet fix. It works. Not being one to take any changes, I also use a poison block located in an area where I can get to the carcass. Once you get rid of the critters, a Bounce sheet or two on the inside is all you need because their sense of smell is so keen. I wouldn't worry about putting the sheets on the wheels since mice can jump 10/12 inches straight up from a crouch. All you need is to make it inhospitable for them on the inside and they'll go somewhere else.

Good luck.

Yes, even the ARMY isnt using bleach to decon stuff anymore, hard on people and stuff... BUT you can use a 10% solution if you like... Lysol works well and Dial (the ARMY Choice) to wash YOU!!

When I have your wounded
CHarlie

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom