Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mid Engine Corvette Code Named "Emperor" to Bow as a 2019 Model

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
The mid-engine C8 Corvette is starting to become one of the worst kept secrets in Corvette history thanks to yet another report to hit the news media today. Detroit News has it on good authority from “multiple sources familiar with the company’s planning” that GM will debut the mid-engine Corvette at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January of 2018 as a 2019 model.

What interesting is that these sources claim the current C7 Corvette Grand Sport and Z06 models will continue into the 2021 model year along side the mid-engine C8 Corvette where they will eventually be phased out leaving the mid-engine Corvette to be the only Corvette offered.

“It’s happening. Mark Reuss wants it,” an unnamed former employee told The Detroit News. “It’s the worst-kept secret in town.” Former GM executive, Even Bob Lutz told The Detroit News that it’s happening, and that the mid-engine Corvette program has been approved from as far back as 2007, but was shelved in 2009 due to GM's bankruptcy.

“The program I got approved in ’07 was $900 million,” Lutz says, “and included a Cadillac XLR with a supercharged Northstar engine. If the current program is $800 million, I’d bet it includes a different-bodied Cadillac again as well.”

According to these anonymous sources on the inside, the C8 Corvette has been given the developmental codename "Emperor" and will feature active aerodynamic pieces, as well as a pushrod V-8 engine. It is possible that Chevrolet may develop further variants down the line, including a possible plug-in hybrid.

With GM making major investments in the Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant, including $290 million for technology upgrades and $439 million for a new paint shop, it's pretty obvious that something big is coming down the pipeline for Corvette. Big enough to be codenamed "Emperor."

Attachments

• 636058496215549178-c8-fr3-4.jpg
    636058496215549178-c8-fr3-4.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 184
Very interesting.

Apparently GM is aware that the middle class is going away.......

I hope I will be around for it to go on sale. :w

Apparently GM is aware that the middle class is going away.......

New Corvette prices already ignore the middle class. But if to get into a Corvette you'll need to drop today's equivalent of 100k, that'll turn younger fans like myself off.

It's all going nuts. At my dealer there is a new Z06 for 110k that doesn't even have the carbon fiber seats. Then there is a base Corvette for 68k sitting next to a Suburban for 82k and even a fully dressed Equinox is over 40k. I'd like to grab a SS before they go out of production next year but they are over 50k. Percentage wise Corvettes seem to be positioned about the same relative to the Chevy product line as a whole as they have ever been. If they market the mid engine car as a premium Corvette in the 100k range and keep the C7 going at the same time I would be ok with that. That would give the buyer the option of going for the top car or selecting something more reasonable. There has always been those cars that were out of the reach of the common man. If Chevy wants to join that club with the mid engine I just hope they keep the C7 around for the rest of us. It really does make sense to have multiple Corvette models. All of the world's best sports cars do.

Tom

Shades of Corvette and XLR production - sounds like GM is going to add a second line at Bowling Green for mid-engine Corvette and Cadillac cars along side the current front engine C7. It that happens, they plan on mid-engine Vettes and Caddy's to be low production halo cars.

I think GM is going to hit a snag if they expect potential buyers of a 150K-200K mid engine sports car to buy it at a Chevy dealer.

Possibly at a Caddy dealer.......

I think GM is going to hit a snag if they expect potential buyers of a 150K-200K mid engine sports car to buy it at a Chevy dealer.

Possibly at a Caddy dealer.......

You think the mid-engine Vette is just a smoke screen for a mid-engine Caddy?

You think the mid-engine Vette is just a smoke screen for a mid-engine Caddy?

I think/know that GM wants a piece of the profitable per unit mid engine spots car market, and I am sure that they will choose the most profitable avenue available to them with the best chance of repeat customers. Smoke screen, no. Still up in the air who will get it, probably. JMHO.

Not that I am interested; however, I like Zora better than emperor.

Zora Arkus Duntov was a legend.

Zora Arkus-Duntov, was so enamored with the Corvette, that he asked to be inurned so he could always be near the car he loved. He died in 1996, and his ashes are preserved in the NCM for eternity.

No emperor compares.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom