Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mid-year deck lid spring bracket removal

S

searay270

I ran into some difficulty with removing 1 of the 2 deck lid spring brackets on my 64 roadster. It appears that the outer bolt which is located up, under and behind the top of the driver's side bracket is rusted in. One must be a contorsionist to begin with just to break unrusted bolts loose in this area, and these are, quite litterally, the last fasteners to remove from the body.

The metal support strip under the water channel is rusted through at that end, also. Water dropped down on the lower bracket mount bolt just in front of the #4 body mount, but at least you can get to this from the underside with a vice grip after the bolt head breaks off. These bolts are all grade 1, so they don't take much torque. 2 weeks of WD-40 have not been successful.

Anyone out there have any experience or ideas? I won't heat these areas up - that's for sure! The heads are rusted down from 1/2-inch to 12MM 6-point size, but they won't budge. Should they break off, repair or drilling would be hopeless.

Ideas on repairing the rusted 4-inches of the support strip would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jack

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom