Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Midyear GM Restoration Bumpers...

PTighe

Corvette
'67 Convertible and '03 Z06
I've heard that the front midyear GM restoration bumpers don't fit very well. I've been told that there are at least two manufacturers of these bumpers, one in the U.S. the other in Taiwan. One has the original tooling from GM and the other one has made up the tooling themselves.

The cost spread on these bumpers varies by vendor from $400 apiece to $449 each, which to me is a pretty big spread. That doesn't sound right. Does that mean the $449 bumpers fit better?

My question is....has anyone here personally bought a pair of these front bumpers and installed them recently on their car and they fit correctly like a glove? That is...did the bumpers bolt right on without a lot of muscle, having to use jacks and shims? If so, what vendor did you buy them from? Any info appreciated. PT :confused

I purchased all 4 bumpers new through Paragon and they fit up without too much difficulty. I don't know if any of them will just bolt on. Had to adjust some of the bracketry but, in the end, they are nice and straight. Once bolted all up, I did notice a couple slight waves here and there. The metal is not as thick as the originals in my opinion. My originals were well beyond being able to be restored.

Steve

4WDVETTE said:
I purchased all 4 bumpers new through Paragon and they fit up without too much difficulty. I don't know if any of them will just bolt on. Had to adjust some of the bracketry but, in the end, they are nice and straight. Once bolted all up, I did notice a couple slight waves here and there. The metal is not as thick as the originals in my opinion. My originals were well beyond being able to be restored.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I called Paragon and they claim to own the original GM tooling. Of course they are the most expensive @ $449 each. A couple other guys have told me Paragon is the only way to go. For just a $100 more than the others, I can't afford not to get the Paragon repros.

Patrick :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom