Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mirror lights won't go out

crause

Corvette
75 Convertible-steel blue / 2000 lt. pewter conv.
Another gremlin. Went outside to get the 2000 ready for a early morning ride on an unusually cool Aug. morning in Louisiana. Opened the drivers door and reached in to push the buttom to pop the rear hatch. Nothing............... looked inside and noticed that there were no lights on inside the car with the door open Hmmmm???? put the key in the ignition, slap butt dead, not even a click.. I put in a new battery in Feb. so i figure there is no way the battery went bad. Get out the battery charger and put it on "start" and let it sit for a while to get a little juice in the batt.
Tried again and it did click and there were some lights on but not enough to start. Waited for a while and tried again, nothing....:mad
Pulled out the battery and got the reicept and headed for the dealer that I bought the batt. from. They appoligized and gave me another batt. out the door and back to the house and put the batt. back in, started right up. Darn Delco Battery must have been bad right? Thats what I thought; while we were out for our ride, I noticed that the map lights on both sides of the mirror were on . The mirror itself was hot. I could flick the switches but the lights stayed on. Tried many different situations, car on, car off, lights on lights off etc..... the lights would not go out.
I now figure this is what killed the new battery. Don't know why it wouldn't jump off but I have had that happen before.

How to I get these lights to go off? :confused I just unplugged the wire going to the mirror to get them off until I can figure this out....

List of things not working:
1. Gas gauge, can clear codes in DIC and get it to start working again each time i fill up
2. A/C blows warmer on the drivers side than pass. side
3. Front left tire pressure sensor must be bad.

On my 02 there were lights that light up the console area that I thought were on all the time.....anyway the computer is supposed to shut off any light left on by accident after 15 minutes...I'm thinking. Gas guage may be needing some Sea Foam to sit in the tank and clean some stuff off the sending unit or Techron works but Sea Foam has always worked for me.....That would be a simple fix....

There are posts on the warmer air blowing on one side or that other. I just saw them the other day while researching something else.......

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c6-general-discussion/83992-map-lights-wont-turn-off.html

List of things not working:
1. Gas gauge, can clear codes in DIC and get it to start working again each time i fill up
2. A/C blows warmer on the drivers side than pass. side
3. Front left tire pressure sensor must be bad.

I've posted extensive and detailed information about your first two issues on this forum. Your tire sensor can be trained if it is still good. The instructions are in your owner's manual, however, it could be bad. They are battery powered and batteries don't last forever.

I'm (thankfully) not having a problem with the map lights staying on, but the courtesy light (that is the very dim light located on the underside of the rearview mirror and it illuminates the console when the headlights are on) has gone out. Is it difficult to change the bulb in that one? And if not, how does one go about it?

:wJane Ann

I'm (thankfully) not having a problem with the map lights staying on, but the courtesy light (that is the very dim light located on the underside of the rearview mirror and it illuminates the console when the headlights are on) has gone out. Is it difficult to change the bulb in that one? And if not, how does one go about it?

:wJane Ann

See attached file Jane Ann.

Attachments

• 1999 Rearview Mirror Lamp Replacement.pdf
    74.6 KB · Views: 239
looking for parts

I've posted extensive and detailed information about your first two issues on this forum. Your tire sensor can be trained if it is still good. The instructions are in your owner's manual, however, it could be bad. They are battery powered and batteries don't last forever.

While doing some of my research on the AC issue, I read somewhere that someone on this site was giving a good price on the HVAC control head and the accuators. I have found someone who will change them for $200 labor.
He said he would pull the dash to do them so I figured that I would do the upgrade to the 2001+ parts and change both accuators and the control head.
Thought someone might have a "kit" with all three parts.

While doing some of my research on the AC issue, I read somewhere that someone on this site was giving a good price on the HVAC control head and the accuators. I have found someone who will change them for $200 labor.
He said he would pull the dash to do them so I figured that I would do the upgrade to the 2001+ parts and change both accuators and the control head.
Thought someone might have a "kit" with all three parts.

Do you realize that the dealer wants almost $300 a piece for those actuators? Are you buying AC Delco or something else? I wouldn't change actuators unless I knew mine were bad.

well, i know that the drivers side is not working properly and nothing else has worked. I hate to pay someone to pull it all apart and have something else in the system go bad. I thought about just trying the re-index on the one i have but don't think my back will let me do the labor myself.

well, i know that the drivers side is not working properly and nothing else has worked. I hate to pay someone to pull it all apart and have something else in the system go bad. I thought about just trying the re-index on the one i have but don't think my back will let me do the labor myself.

To reindex the system, you take nothing apart. That just requires you to pull a fuse. To physically reindex a actuator, where you take it apart and realign the big gear, the actuator must be removed from the car. So your back doesn't take a beating with those two things, but your back may take a beating getting everything apart. It's a lot more fun on your year car. :ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom