Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mobil 1 extended life

Corvette
2001 navy 'vert
I know theres a lot of threads on CAC about synthetic oil, everybody seems to be sold on the stuff. I use it in my 93 LT-1 with out a second thought. Heres a question I haven't seen. I just bought a 2005 Trailblazer for my wife, and a i'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to use Mobile 1 "extended life" in it after the break in period. Mobil says it should last up to 15,000 miles. (i would change at 10,000) Heres my question...the oil life monitor will probably tell me to change it before 10,000...should I just ignore it and reset it and wait until I have the 10,000??? Also how long for break in, Napa Gold filter ok? and last but not least...5/30 or 10/30. I know this isn't about my LT-1, but I like all the knowlege and opinions you guys have on the CAC. Maybe Hib will have a thought or two.
thanks

Another question would be...will it void the warranty if you change the oil every 15000 miles with Mobil Extended?

dam 15K life!! thats pretty good but seems hard to believe oil going that long? i like to look at the oil, i mean if you take the dip stick out and its all black looking thats telling you something?

I have been going 10,000 miles with Mobil 1 since it came on the market with all my vehicles (33' motor home included). This is in Phoenix, Az. (HOT, Severe duty).

I use 10-30 but, in your climate I would use 5-30. I only use Mobil 1 or K & N filters.

I change filters every 5,000 miles, prefilling them to eliminate dry starts. I recently had to change a valve cover gasket on my 90 Vert. and it was spotless in the valve train area. I really believe in Mobil 1.

We are running synthetic oil in our over the road heavy haul trucks, in a 1 million mile oil change test. These are diesel engines where the main pollutant is Sulphur (Acid) and every new filter ( at 25,000 miles) has a new load of additives (that is what is depleted over time).

The people doing the test just pulled down an engine at 400,000 miles and it was just like new!

The main pollutant with a gasoline engine is water. Short trips kill them (no chance to boil it out of the oil). So if I was making alot of short trips, I would change oil at 3,000, 20 miles or more, 10,000.

I've looked at bobs oil site...lot of stuff on there, it didn't really help me decide anything

It is just like the evening news, get what you want from it!

I changed my oil and filters etc at 4000 miles on my C6. The guy at the chevy dealership got close, looked around and whispered, Yes I would do it earlier than recommended. He also told me some other info as well. I used synthetic. I would think the people that made/built/designed the car know what oil is best, so i go by my book, and my warrenty stays intact as well.

ness said:
I know theres a lot of threads on CAC about synthetic oil, everybody seems to be sold on the stuff. I use it in my 93 LT-1 with out a second thought. Heres a question I haven't seen. I just bought a 2005 Trailblazer for my wife, and a i'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to use Mobile 1 "extended life" in it after the break in period. Mobil says it should last up to 15,000 miles. (i would change at 10,000) Heres my question...the oil life monitor will probably tell me to change it before 10,000...should I just ignore it and reset it and wait until I have the 10,000??? Also how long for break in, Napa Gold filter ok? and last but not least...5/30 or 10/30. I know this isn't about my LT-1, but I like all the knowlege and opinions you guys have on the CAC. Maybe Hib will have a thought or two.
thanks

If your owners manual states GF-4 is required, I don't believe the extended life Mobil 1 meets this (though the drive clean stuff does). So for your warranty's sake, you should stick to regular Mobil 1. No matter what you should stick to the oil life monitor intervals if you want to maintain your warranty.

Warranty??????C4 owners.....for the 96 expired in 1999. Mine expired in 1998. Just buy the oil YOU like. I used Royal Purple before and I switched to Mobil 1

I know CORVETTE owners that dragg race and they use crude oil!!!!
Happiness is what may satisfy you.

Don't worry be happy:D Change your oil IAW your owners manual

PLRX787 said:
Warranty??????C4 owners.....for the 96 expired in 1999.

ness said:
I just bought a 2005 Trailblazer for my wife, and a i'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to use Mobile 1 "extended life" in it after the break in period.

:beer

We have a 2003 Envoy with an oil life monitor. It's last oil change was just at 1yr. The owners manual says when the light comes on or every year. Milage was just over 10K. We change it at home and get the mobil 1 at walmart in the 5qt containers.

Started running mobil 1 when it first came out. It was only 5w-20. Our flat tappet no overdrive Impala went over 200k miles with no start up rattle or slap and the valve train was still quiet. Valve covers were never off.
The only reason I wouldn't run mobil 1 would be cost, if the car just sits and is short tripped the oil still needs changing to get rid of contaminats at least once a year. Any oil with an SH rating is so much better than oil used to be I think the bottom line for a street car is use what you want and change it when you want.
A coupe of years ago Consumer Report did an oil test. Some cars they didn't even change the oil. As I recall after the 60,000 miles they tore down the engines and couldn't measure any differences in any of them.

JS

thanks...I just got done with the first change, 1000 miles. (88% left on the oil life monitor). Valvoline 5/30 for 2000 more miles for breakin, and then i'm leaning towards Mobile One and Napa gold filter. Thanks for all the info. posts everybody!!

JonM said:
Another question would be...will it void the warranty if you change the oil every 15000 miles with Mobil Extended?

Yes, I believe it will void the warranty. I should go out into the garage and read the back of the container but I'm too lazy. Plus, it's hot outside right now.

I'm sure the oil can last for as long as they advertise. However, there is no way the oil filter can filter that well for so many miles. I would cap the oil filter life expectancy at 5000 miles. I know that some people change the oil filter and refill the oil to the proper level. But how much money do you really save by doing that? You're losing a quart of oil anyway with the filter change. Why not just get another 4 quarts of oil and have fresh oil?

What do you spend, another $40 for the year? If spending $40 for the whole year makes a difference, maybe Corvette's aren't for you. :L:L:L

Edmond said:
What do you spend, another $40 for the year? If spending $40 for the whole year makes a difference, maybe Corvette's aren't for you. :L:L:L

I don't think its the 40 dollars...its the jacking it up...putting it on jack stands...draining the oil...changing the filter...disposing of the old oil...cleaning the crap out of your eyes...and the 40 dollar jeans and the 30 dollar shirt you ruin. .:L

JonM said:
I don't think its the 40 dollars...its the jacking it up...putting it on jack stands...draining the oil...changing the filter...disposing of the old oil...cleaning the crap out of your eyes...and the 40 dollar jeans and the 30 dollar shirt you ruin. .:L

This working class man here doesn't wear $40 jeans and $30 shirts.:L:L:L Think more along the lines of Hanes t-shirts and cheap cargos. :D

If you save $20 by not changing the oil on a new car, whether it needs it or not, you're buying an argument with the dealer on a warranty issue that you might not win. What did you pay for that car...$20 grand...$30 grand? Do the oil changes per the warranty like you're supposed to for the next 3 years, in spite of the monitor light.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom