Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mobil 1- What's up???

C

c4ever

There have been numerous posts on oil. The good, the bad and the ugly. I have read some disturbing news on Mobil 1 and not knowing very much about this industry I figured what better place to discuss.
The bottom line is that to my surprise Mobil1 is not 100% synthetic as I was led to believe. At the prices we pay I think deception would be a kind word.
I am now looking into Amsoil which is 100% synthetic.

http://intershop.amsoil.com/cgi-bin/Amsoil.storefront?zo=508684

I know there are some knowledgeable members out there that maybe can set me straight. At this point Mobil1 is out of the game for me.;help :SLAP

What bothers me is the cost for a not pure synthetic. I don't mind spending , but I like to get in return for what I spend. :mad

From the Mobil website.

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Synthetic Motor Oil

Product Description

The Mobil 1 motor oils are manufactured from 100% synthetic base stocks. These include polyalphaolefins (PAO) and other Mobil synthetic fluids which make up the Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM formula.

The unique combination of high-performance synthetic fluids and proprietary additive systems enables Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM motor oils to offer advantages beyond their conventional SAE viscosity-grade counterparts. Conventional mineral oils thicken or thin dramatically with changes in temperature.

To compensate for this weakness, manufacturers add thickeners to conventional multigrade oils to slow thinning as engine temperatures rise. Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM fully synthetic motor oils have naturally high resistance to changes in viscosity due to temperature and require less of these thickeners. This results in a heavier, more stable protective oil film for engine bearings and piston rings than provided by similar SAE viscosity grade mineral oils.

Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM products protect engines up to 204°C (400°F). It contains less impurities, so it protects better than conventional oils in cold weather (as shown by the pumpability limits indicated in the table below). This means that the Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM provide outstanding protection against wear at start-up when most engine wear occurs.

Mobil 1 with SuperSynTM is fully compatible with mineral-based or conventional motor oils. Any mixing of Mobil 1 products with conventional oils, however, will only dilute Mobil 1's many advantages. The Mobil 1 with SuperSynTMis also compatible with all other synthetic motor oils but mixing synthetics is discouraged.

Link to product description page.

Hope this helps!

The SuperSyn is the next generation. I have to wonder if this spec is even true. The Tri-Syn which I and many others have used(at a $$$ price) was recently taken off the Mobil site. Prior to disappearing it was listed under Semi-Syn (that's interesting) considering that they have been touting synthetic all this time. Reminds me of the Castrol fiasco. So now along comes SuperSyn. I have a big problem with deceptive marketing. Word was when Exxon merge took place quality would take a back seat. I don't know, maybe it did. I have always been loyal to Mobil but being involved with Tyco(past tense) I know what acquisition and mergers can do. I'm making a change and will post the results but at least I know I'm getting PURE synthetic which is what I've been paying for all along.

:(

I really love my Castrol Syntec, Its dark going in and the same color coming out :)L ) But seriously I'll be opening a lube shop in the next 18 months and Yes Mobil 1 is VERY good. Ive just had wonderful success with the Castrol thats all. One I do not particularly care for is Quaker State, It seems way to bleached for me where as the Castrol is not.

All oil is made to the same regulatory specs and I guess it really doesnt matter who's who but In Synthetics moneys the issue.(Keeping in mind SOME oil go over Reg specs) (Microfiltration, Viscosity breakdown, burn values)

Mobil 1 , Castrol Syntec , Amsoil are all Very good and worth the money (IMHO)

Just with Amsoil they like to boast they can last for over 10 000Km's more towards 15 (depends which retailer you talk to) I would NEVER run oil that long regardless what they say, the oil might hold but there's still metal Burr's and sludge from previous oil's you want gone (Whether Syn or Reg oil I change every 5000km's) and I recommend the same to the customer (However) I still hold the claims of the manufacter I just give MY opinion.

I agree Big Red. I change at 3k no matter what oil I use. I'm just surprised that these manufacturers play with us. If I'm gonna spend $4.50 a quart I want synthetic not a blend. You do have to admit that Amsoil does show some great stats.

:w Save the Wave:w

BigRed said:
...Its dark going in and the same color coming out :)L ) ..
Mobil 1 , Castrol Syntec , Amsoil are all Very good and worth the money (IMHO)

That's the part that impressed me the most when I started using Mobil 1. I don't care if someone's waving a magic wand over it, what matters is that when it comes out there is no sign of breakdown. After seeing the guts of engines with and without synthetics, I'll never go back.

JMHO:D.

- Eric

71Shark said:

That's the part that impressed me the most when I started using Mobil 1. I don't care if someone's waving a magic wand over it, what matters is that when it comes out there is no sign of breakdown. After seeing the guts of engines with and without synthetics, I'll never go back.

JMHO:D.

- Eric

hehe, you should see the synthetic going in my diesel pickup, it's pitch black by the time it drains down to the oil pan!! :D

BigRed said:

Just with Amsoil they like to boast they can last for over 10 000Km's more towards 15 (depends which retailer you talk to) I would NEVER run oil that long regardless what they say, the oil might hold but there's still metal Burr's and sludge from previous oil's you want gone (Whether Syn or Reg oil I change every 5000km's) and I recommend the same to the customer (However) I still hold the claims of the manufacter I just give MY opinion.

Many Diesels are running way way over 15k miles on a regular basis and suffer no ill effects. True filters get changed and regular oil samples drawn along with synthetic usuage. As we know they run 500- 1,000,000 mileson same bearings etc.
My point is the proper synthetic can endure high mileages.

MY VW TDi (turbo direct injection) get changed with Mobil Delvac 1 every 10k. Oil samples indicate it could have gone further too. Factory recommends 10k for general use. Must use CG-4 specified oil.

educate me (simply)

What is the difference / benefits of using a synthetic oil over the 'usual suspects'. I've used Castrol GTX for years.
Silver

Heidi,
Check the search engine. There have been some great articles on the subject. I have used Synthetic exclusively for many years with great results. I don't feel they are necessary but provide a higher level of protection IMHO.:cool

wolf_walker said:
hehe, you should see the synthetic going in my diesel pickup, it's pitch black by the time it drains down to the oil pan!! :D

Alright now, you're starting to scare me. :eek

- Eric

wolf_walker said:

any diesel oil gets black immediately after being changed. this is normal.

you can not tell if diesel oil needs to be changed without oil sampling or knowing how many miles are on it and what type of oil it is.
:bu

FrankM said:

any diesel oil gets black immediately after being changed. this is normal.

you can not tell if diesel oil needs to be changed without oil sampling or knowing how many miles are on it and what type of oil it is.
:bu

Yeah, I know, but like 71Shark's responce, people sometimes get a kick out of it.

In all seriousnes, this is an old 1.6 VW diesel with 250K or so on it, in a VW truck with 550K. My father and I have had many, many VW diesels over the years, they usually pull 300K before any problems with excessive smoke and/or lack of power(haha), but never a mechanical problem, and they were always in great shape inside. I've mic'd bearings with over 300K on them that were still well in spec. All that was done with plane jane Castrol GTX in 20/50, we both ran that exclusivly for years, I KNOW it's good stuff. That being said, Castrol suddenly no longer has the diesel rateing for some reason, and although I bet it's still just fine for older one's like mine, I switched to Mobil full synthetic in 15/50 and my pop went to rotella in some similier weight, we figure we'll compare at some point. I know chiefly the syntheric is darn expensive, but makes me glad when I cant get to an oil change for 8 or 9K on ocassion. FYI, we always changed the Castrol @5-7K intervals, and this is in a sooty little diesel that lives at almost 4000RPM trying to hold 70 on the interstate.

:)

wolf_walker said:

All that was done with plane jane Castrol GTX in 20/50, we both ran that exclusivly for years, I KNOW it's good stuff. That being said, Castrol suddenly no longer has the diesel rateing for some reason, and although I bet it's still just fine for older one's like mine, I switched to Mobil full synthetic in 15/50 and my pop went to rotella in some similier weight, we figure we'll compare at some point. I know chiefly the syntheric is darn expensive, but makes me glad when I cant get to an oil change for 8 or 9K on ocassion. FYI, we always changed the Castrol @5-7K intervals, and this is in a sooty little diesel that lives at almost 4000RPM trying to hold 70 on the interstate.

:)

I use regular Shell Rotella (from walmart) 15w-40 in older diesels and Mobil Delvac 1 (5w-40 in new diesels. the synthetic has a CH-4 rating and is good for 10k mile intervals. Thats what the new VW TDi's are to use per factory.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom