Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mobil 1

sooperman

Corvette
1995 ZR-1
Anyone have any experience with the new 15,000 mile Mobil 1. For my last oil change I switched to it along with the Mobil 1 filter.

That's what I use. To me it seemed like Mobil came out with the extended life stuff when they had to change the regular stuff to meet the most recent oil standard GF-4 (I think "GF-4" is what it was, going from memory). I believe this had more of an emissions and economy mindset, not a maximum protection mindset behind the standard.

I figure the Extended Life M1 is what they offer as their best protection, and that's why I use M1 in the first place, so that's what I put in the ZR-1.

I don't go 15,000 miles on oil changes, though. So far I haven't even gone 3,000 on any, though that's my target.

That's what I use. To me it seemed like Mobil came out with the extended life stuff when they had to change the regular stuff to meet the most recent oil standard GF-4 (I think "GF-4" is what it was, going from memory). I believe this had more of an emissions and economy mindset, not a maximum protection mindset behind the standard.

I figure the Extended Life M1 is what they offer as their best protection, and that's why I use M1 in the first place, so that's what I put in the ZR-1.

I don't go 15,000 miles on oil changes, though. So far I haven't even gone 3,000 on any, though that's my target.
I'm way off, I was thinking of I'd be safe if I changed the filter every 3,000 miles. I don't understand. What criteria do you use for an oil change?

i use mobile 1 as well and change the oil and filter every 3k and check the air filter each time as well.

I'm way off, I was thinking of I'd be safe if I changed the filter every 3,000 miles. I don't understand. What criteria do you use for an oil change?
I'd go 3,000 miles. But I've changed early once due to treplacing the injectors. Figured in case any fuel leaked into any oil passages or whatnot, just to be safe. And once the "change oil" light came on so I changed it, though it was probably from disconnecting the battery and such. I've only had the car about 1.5 years and put ~4k miles on it.

The Mobil 1 is full synthetic and theoretically can be run forever. I know alot of people that will change the filter at 3000 and add 1qt of oil. Then they do a full change at 6000. Now all of this depends on driving style, condition of the motor, how often you drive or how long it sits. It is contaminents that kill synthetic oils. Think of it as insurance. You wont hurt it changing it to often.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom