Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mono leaf spring

I think Lowes carries some big ones for less than $10. We just used the one the skillshop had to check out. Definitely worked better than the jack-stand option ! I'll keep checkin in - good luck ! Blitz

Good looking out Blitz. Trying to get everything straight before the task. I don't want to have to many interuptions...I'll go to Lowe's to check. I guess I expected them to be pricey for some reason or another.
Thanks Chris

Hey Blitz!
I went to lowe's today. I found the C clamps. I saw 6 or 8 in. Which ones do you recommend?

Chris

crebo said:
Hey Blitz!
I went to lowe's today. I found the C clamps. I saw 6 or 8 in. Which ones do you recommend?

Chris

Go for the bigger one. Once the castlenut is off, the spring will use up ALL of that 8in (and may still be under tension ! - careful! ) You may want to consider a jack / c-clamp combination when you're retrieving you're c-clamp). I think we used the 'brute force and ackwardness' method and just knocked it off!

Good Luck!

Blitz

Thanks again.....I think they were about 13 bucks at lowes'. I will also use the jack stands.

Chris

Ahhhh

Finally got all of the parts...VBP supplied me with the mono leaf. I had already purchased the adjustable strut rods and rear shocks.
It really wasn't as hard as I thought. I was worried when the I didn't have to compress the spring to reinstall. Luckily enough I refreshed my mind with Blitz's diagram.
I feels much better. I have it adjusted to about the same ride hieght. My only problem is I lost my brakes on the test drive....I guess I just had that one a' comin.
Anway just happy that I finally got it done. I've had the struts and shocks for almost a year waiting on the spring.

Special thanks to Blitz

Chris

7+ yrs ago I installed Monroe "Sensatrack" shocks, they made a marked improvement in the ride and handling. After 46K miles they continue to perform well and I will probility put in the same ones when these start to go south. I haven't look out there to see what new have come along, there may well be something better to go with. I also like the Ranchchro 9000 (adjustable) shocks I put in my 98 4X Suburban.

Mr Chuck

What part of Southern Cali are you from. I've spend a few years there. That is where I had most of my engine work done. Scotts corvettes in Costa Mesa. I spend most of my time in Long Beach.

Chris

I have lived in Mission Viejo since 1969, worked in several companies located in Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa and Irvine during the 1980 – 1990’s. I have used Corvette Mike in Anaheim for repair and parts.

ps: Are you still active Army? I spent 12 yrs (56 - 68) US Navy, a younger brother spent 6 yrs or so in US Army.

Chuck

You lived in some nice spots. My brother-in-law lives in Irvine. Costa Mesa is very nice as well.
Yes I'm still Active Duty. I'm in the Army stationed in Camp Shelby, Ms. I train the National Guardsmen (try to train) before they go to Iraq. I have 2 1/2 left til retirement. Really looking forward to it.

Chris

From what I see and hear about the good job the troops are doinng over there, your training in getting the job done. Keep up the good job!!!!

I know the (try to train) feeling, spent my time (12 Yrs in "Training Air Reserve" (TAR) command. Got out after getting quoted twice for E-7, Chief Petty Officer. I was an Aviation Electrican (E6) did maintenance on Anti Sub Aircraft (Prop jobs).

I have VBP spring on my 71 small block (330#). You will need their shocks that are valved for it to have it work the best. I wrapped my pipes and also made some small heat sheilds that attach to the inside strut rod nuts and have had no problems with heat. The weight differance is significant.

What spring would you reccommend for a 77 with a small block?

Art Jett
I went through VBP and they helped me out. They are very informative but just like r71 said the 330. That's the one that they said I should use. But because of the big block we went to a 360+.
I prob didn't help but I know the people of VBP can
Chris

I would call Vette Brake Products. Tell them your application & what you want to do witht he car. They are very helpful.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom