Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

more new guy questions!!

vetteKID

Corvette
74 L-48 coupe & 85 454 coupe
well i have found out that im low on oil, problem is i dont know what to put in. i know you can mix mineral and synthetic oils now, thank you Hot Rod magazine, but i dont know the viscosity synthetic to buy, what do you guys think? and what gas should i be puttin in my 8.7 compression L-48? i put in 93 and it runs a little bit ruff now. and do i need a lead additive?
MY VETTE! 1974 stingray, corvette orange, 4 speed L-48, for pics- http://photos.yahoo.com/moparsatellite73 ,then go to the my cars folder, hit the show all botton, my corvette should be down at the bottem.

No lead additive is needed, the L48 engines were designed to run on no-lead gas. L-48 should be able to run on the low octaine gas.

Oil would depend upon the condition of the engine. Should be okay with 10w30. I run 5w30 and 10w30 Mobil 1 in all my cars.

tom...

My stock 71 L48 (CR about same as yours) with auto ran just fine on 87 unleaded and no additives ... try that ... if it runs rough on straight 87 then maybe a tuneup's in the cards. If it's burning a lotta oil then the burned deposits can raise the CR and may require a bit more octane. Opinions on oil ... ya know everybody's got em ... & they're usually good ones. Main thing is to have plenty of fresh oil & fresh filter. Mineral is fine ... 10-30, maybe 10-40 for summer, maybe 5-30 for freezing winter ... ya won't go wrong w/ 10-30 mineral year 'round. I use Valvoline straight mineral ... weights according to season. Go ahead & pick an oil & filter you'll stick with. Like tom said condition is a factor ... & nuthin' wrong w/ synthetic either ... though I understand it can cause very old mineral oil-soaked gaskets/seals to leak. If engine is real loose/worn then 20-50 may be considered.
JACK:gap

Don't stress!

I have an easy solution:

Change the oil and filter and replace with your favorite brand!
This way you'll KNOW what is in it.
Heidi

wish i had the money, this stingray cleaned me out. i just want to add some oil till next week when i get my paycheck.

Top it off with Dino and convert to Mobil 1 with quality filter (I use Mobil1) with next oil change. I converted the 82 to synthetic when I got it with 100k, no leaks here.
Enjoy the car:w :w

Carlo

Ah!

I know the "wallet cleaned out" feeling very well!

I'd just buy a quart of anything and put it in (since you commented that mixing is okay), especially if you will be changing it out soon.
Heidi

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom