Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

More Sidepipe Questions

daveintexas

Corvette
1974 454 Stingray
Not long ago I posted some questions about a set of sidepipes I bought for my 74 BB. This past weekend, I finally got to put them on...but wait..uggh...they WONT FIT!!! I was under the impression that the headers would fit ANY BB car 68-74!! Am I wrong?? They will almostttt fit, but they just dont.They hit the bottom of the body where the collector is. They like about an inch bolting up to the heads when the hit...hmmm...is it possible that maybe I have the wrong motor mounts and THAT is what is causing the problem?? I checked BOTH sides to make sure it wasnt just one of them, and they both do it..arrggg. The D/S also hits the gear box on the steering. I hope somebody has some suggestions or a cure, because I dont know why they wont fit! Thanks in advance guys!! btw, these supposedly came off of a 68 BB car. Dave

I'm going from memory here but i believe you have to trim a little fiberglass on the bottom of the car to get them to fit.I think new sidepipes come with a template to show where to cut.

wow, almost 100 views, and yet only 1 reply!?? I thought surely I could get some good info on what is wrong, or maybe how to fix this?

Howdy Dave,
I don't have sidepipes but I'll give you my unqualified opinion. I have read several places that trimming the body under the fenders IS necessary to get sidepipes to work.

Good luck

another Dave in Texas
aka lone73

Howdy Dave,
I don't have sidepipes but I'll give you my unqualified opinion. I have read several places that trimming the body under the fenders IS necessary to get sidepipes to work.

Good luck

another Dave in Texas
aka lone73

Yes- I've put side pipes on two C3s. I've had to trim the fenders a bit on both.

DSCF0255.jpg

Very cool lookin' machine...
Move to the right about 2' , then stand up to take the pic from the same distance. Best angle shot for a C3 IMHO.

Then post it here, I need a new wallpaper :)

Very cool lookin' machine...
Move to the right about 2' , then stand up to take the pic from the same distance. Best angle shot for a C3 IMHO.

Then post it here, I need a new wallpaper :)

Thanks for the compliment! Unfortunately, you'll need to wait until spring. The grass needs to grow back and cover all the litter again.

wow, almost 100 views, and yet only 1 reply!?? I thought surely I could get some good info on what is wrong, or maybe how to fix this?

It would help if you'd describe WHAT KIND of sidepipes they are - '69 Factory Style, or Hookers, or??

:beer

It would help if you'd describe WHAT KIND of sidepipes they are - '69 Factory Style, or Hookers, or??

:beer

Hookers are known to be a chore to fit big blocks they usually come with a template of what to cut; and have a hammer handy to clear the steering box ;LOL

I put factory pipes on my 68 small block and had to do some trimming on it to fit them also.

John, I am almost certain they are Hooker headers and pipes. I bought them off ebay and the guy said they were on a 68 with the 427. They are black, although I wish they were the chrome ones. They are VERY well made! Bossvette, I can see that a hammer is going to be required to make them clear the steering gear box..ugh....lol. However, my biggest hurdle is first to even get them to bolt up to the heads, as they dont clear the bottom of the body, so they dont mate up to the engine.I knew it was gonna be tough, but I didn't know it was gonna be a royal PIA!! lmao. Thanks for any help you can give guys. I looked at the bottom of the body earlier, and it doesnt appear to be a big deal if I MUST trim it off some to make these work. I just want to be CERTAIN, thats what is required before I do that!! Thanks!! Dave

a call to Hooker may get you the template telling where to trim the body and lower trim molding they ship with every new set; once you get proper fit THEN send it to a powder coat shop for ceramic coating; unless you don't mind removing and repainting every year the painted ones discolor and rust fast.

I have Hooker sidepiped on my 75 vert. the steering box dose touch the header (so Ill have to dent the pipe to give clearence) you do need to notch the inner fiborglass fender inside the side aluminum trim to give some more spacing.

A dremil or small drill with small grind bits helps to smouth out the aluminun trim to get the right angel.hope this helps.... also before you do any cutting, make a cardbord template and go from there. makes life easyer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom