Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Motor Oil

That oil filter grading chart is interesting. Our '81 has Rotella T in it right now as well as the moderately built 355 in my stepside. It looks like I need to change my thinking on the AC oil filter though.

Tom

That oil filter grading chart is interesting. Our '81 has Rotella T in it right now as well as the moderately built 355 in my stepside. It looks like I need to change my thinking on the AC oil filter though.

Tom
Game on Tom. I agree. It is amazing what Shell, Mobil, Vavoline, Havoline, Pennzoil and Castrol GT knew 30 years ago. Zinc as discribed above reduces engine wear in engines. The big agruement then was between zinc additives and molybdenum disulfide additive. Proponents of each claimed either insufficent or excessive build up (plating effect in simple terms) of the zinc or moly additives on the engines wear parts. I personally used the moly based oil in a brand new engine in 1982 against the manufacturer recommendations. The manufacturer only recommended use of the moly oil after the engine had been broken in with an oem oil. My 82 engine would not break in until I followed the recommendations. This moly based oil won the oil seminar's sae plain bearing, roller bearing, and ball bearing load test hands down with no challenges from anyone. We were invited to bring any oil to the seminar as those in attendance did. I like Tom used Rotella, not Rotella T yet, which hung in all the test to the end. Only at extreme pressure probably never or rarely ever seen in engines did the Rotella go down in smoke. I am sure the synthetics are good espescially in resisting viscousity breakdown and resisting contamination and I use them where I must. I used the moly oil for a while, but went back to Rotella and now Rotella T because of the availability and price. I have to change it, no 10,000 miles for me in the small displacement engines. In my large displacement diesel engines the manufacturers now recommend 500 hour oil change intervals with oil like Rotella T. I quess in closing I'll share with what I just heard from a large trucking company owner in my area. The truck company purchased over a hundred DPF diesel powered OTR trucks and they have been plauged with the oil filters plugging up completely between oil change intervals. It will amaze you what the engine manufacturer has asked the owner to test with on a sample group of his trucks. For me its going to be old school oil except on my warranty required ones. Either way Tom is protected with his Rotella T from his engine roller or flat tappet to his transmission to his rearend. Thanks and only the Best. AGE QUOD AGIS Do what you do, Well.
I

I always buy the wet slippery kind. I agree with Mike

i10fwy

As I can't get Rotella here in the Netherlands I'm running Shell Rimula R3 X (about the same as Rotella)

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom