Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mounting tires on mag wheels

R

RJ'sC5

I'm about to purchase new tires very soon (brand unknown at this point), but am concerned that the tire store will scratch, dent , chip, or damage the mag wheels. Has anyone experienced any problems with this.? Is there anything I should specifically ask? Thanks

I spoke to my Goodyear dealer by phone about taking my runflats off the OEM rims and placing the tires on other rims. He states his machine does not touch the rim, so no damage possible. I have not seen it.

I am not a Lawyer (HONEST) Before ANY work is done on the new tires,GET IN WRITING, that if they damage ANYTHING, They, and NOT YOU, are on the HOOK for it. I just saw a brand new set of wheels destroyed, and the tire co. said NOT MY PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats B.S. Cover your a--!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck!!!!:w

Newer Machines

Make sure the installer has the side bead breaker, as said above, the machine dosen't touch the wheel when taking the old tire off. The arm that goes on the machine to mount the new tires should have teflon or a very heavy guage plastic on it, the part that slides along the tire as it is worked over the edge of the wheel. I just had new tires put on my aluminum wheels on my F350 pickup and there's no way they can be scratched using this machine.

If you're really worried, take pictures of each wheel as you drop it off for the work, and let the shop know. Inspect them carefully immediately after the work is done, before you drive away.

How can a machine remove or replace a tire without touching a wheel? Breaking a bead, I can see. But I wouldn't go somewhere they told me what that Goodyear dealer said.

Beware, tire mounting/demounting is an entry level job for bored teenagers.

Explain your concern, make sure they agree to be held responsible for damage, and be willing to pay more than at a discount shop.

Also, make sure that they put all the balancing weights on the INSIDE of the wheel. Make this very clear. I had a set of Goodyears mounted about a year ago and they came back with weights on the OUTSIDE of the wheel.. This does not look good on your car. Trust me. It seemed like simple logic to me but make sure that they realize all this in advance. It will save you time and $.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom