Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

moving mirror

Corvette
92 coupe black rose
This is on a 92 with power mirrors....the passenger side one, once set, has never moved on me that I can notice, but the drivers side mirror does. It doesn't vibrate or shake or anything like that, just slowly/occasionally moves it's self up. It's not really that big of a deal, I just have to bump the little control knob down a bit and it's right back in place, but does anyone elses do this or is there just a bolt or screw somewhere that needs to be tightened or something?

rascal_rascal_99 said:
This is on a 92 with power mirrors....the passenger side one, once set, has never moved on me that I can notice, but the drivers side mirror does. It doesn't vibrate or shake or anything like that, just slowly/occasionally moves it's self up. It's not really that big of a deal, I just have to bump the little control knob down a bit and it's right back in place, but does anyone elses do this or is there just a bolt or screw somewhere that needs to be tightened or something?

This might be a silly question, but do you ride with your left knee up high? You might be bumping the control with your knee. This I've done. I don't think anything needs to be tightened since you said you don't notice any vibration, shake, etc...
:Steer

Thanks for the idea, but it wouldn't be that, my knee doesn't come close to it. I have a feeling it's something I'm just going to live with, which isn't really that big of a deal at all, I know if I go over railroad tracks or something like that it'll make it jump up, and a lot of times when I first get in the car it's up, I think the door being opened and closed a couple times getting out and back in causes it to jump up...but normally, the mirror is stable, it's not like it's vibrating when I'm driving.

Same Problem

I had the same problem with an '89 I had. Spent months looking for the source w/o success. I was never even able to get a response from 2 different Vette forums. As you say, it's no big deal, but drove me crazy. First couple of times it happened, I thought I was imagining things. The only thing that solved my dilemma was selling the car last year and I hated to do that. I only had 29,000 original miles, and other than Bose speaker problems, never had any other trouble with the car.

Do you leave the mirror control knob in the left position?

The 92 mirror knob has a middle position that is 'off' so that bumping it does not move the mirrors when you did not intend them to move. If the contacts in the mirror control knob are a little loose, this might be causing the mirror to move sometimes.

Another thought - the mirror motor mounts might be working loose. There are 'phillips' head screws (if mirror serves) behind the mirror that you can see if you move the mirror all the way up/left/right/down. I found them loose on my old '92 once. You might want to check them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom