Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MPG Is This For Real?

O

OH Vette

Just returned from a trip fifty miles away (100 miles round trip). I had to gas up on the return trip home and decided to monitor my MPG. Wow! I averaged 32.9 MPG. Can that be right? I had reset my trip meter right after my fill up. It was freeway driving at a steady 65 to 70 mph, no cruise control, and no hills. I have a 99 FRC and it is bone stock, absolutely no mods except for a K&N air filter. Can this be right? If it is, this would be the best "economy" car in terms of mileage I have ever owned!

Al

If you are talking about the car computer's idea of MPG, you might want to check it manually. They can be a little different.
My 92 computer generated mileage is very optimistic by 1-1.5 MPG better than it actually gets. However, I have found that my 03 and my previous 98 were much closer to actual.

In would not surprise me if you were getting this kind of mileage at those speeds either. I have seen mileage even better than that but you have to work at it.

I made a 720 mile round trip from Northern Ohio to Carlisle, PA a few weeks ago, averaging 31.1 mpg on the highway; with an average of 26.8 for the entire trip (highway, sitting on the fairgrounds, doing a few burnouts, city driving, etc). I’ve owned my car since ’98 and have had consistent fuel economy like this. Whether I check it manually, or with the on-board fuel computer, the results are pretty much the same. I have the 6-speed transmission and when cruising at 70mph, the engine is basically idling at 1100 rpm. The .29 drag coefficient really helps out too.

I average around 32 on trips. Around town it's around 22.

Enjoy and don't tell anyone, they won't believe you.

Don't forget to wave at fellow economy (vette) owners.

Mike

Aint it great !

I love telling people I drive mine as it is my economy car :D
Then again a full size 4x4 pickup only gets 12 MPG so.....

Yes it is right. I average around 22 mpg drive just in the city. It is higher when I drive on the freeways as well.

Me too!

Ain't life grand when you have a corvette as your transportation.

:cool :v :pat :_rock

Corvette-Pilot said:
Aint it great !

I love telling people I drive mine as it is my economy car :D
Then again a full size 4x4 pickup only gets 12 MPG so.....

Gas Mileage

Mine is around the same too. I can't believe the gas milage the Corvette gets either.:cool

97RedCorvette said:
I made a 720 mile round trip from Northern Ohio to Carlisle, PA a few weeks ago, averaging 31.1 mpg on the highway; with an average of 26.8 for the entire trip (highway, sitting on the fairgrounds, doing a few burnouts, city driving, etc). I’ve owned my car since ’98 and have had consistent fuel economy like this. Whether I check it manually, or with the on-board fuel computer, the results are pretty much the same. I have the 6-speed transmission and when cruising at 70mph, the engine is basically idling at 1100 rpm. The .29 drag coefficient really helps out too.

70MPH is 1500 RPM with a MN6 with 3:42s.

2003 A4 convertible, no mods - 29.5 mpg highway 65-70 (speed limit). I think the MN6 cars do better than the A4 cars. It doesn't look much like an economy car!

FWIW: The actual mileage and the DIC calculated mileage are pretty close.

On a trip to BWG cruise on, and doing 65 - 75 my 02 Z06 was getting and average of 35.6 on the computer. At fill-up time the average when calculated on gallons needed to fill, and mileage driven was 35.4, I'm not going to squable over 2 tenths. After a fast group run to and back from Mammoth caves, my average was down to 26.5, but it was a very fun reduction in mileage. :) :L :L
When I tell people that I get 21.5 MPG around town, they look at me really funny as if to say, ... liar liar pants on fire!
It really gets them when I tell them about the highway mileage, but that's when they revert to... ya, but you can't haul anything in that thing, and there's no trunk. If it's the right person, I usually say, "It hauls butt", and then for the clincher, I pop the trunk for them to see. That pretty much makes them retreat back to thinking about how much more fun we Corvette owners are having relative to ordinary vehicles.
BTW, in the Z06, with it's MN12 transmission in 6th gear, all RPMs are approx 300 higher than the MN6 at equivalent speeds.

:v

vettepilot

The wife and I went non-stop from Columbus, OH to Key West, FL. Took 23 hours and the machine averaged 31.1 mpg on the DIC and 31.1 on the manual check - I couldnt believe it either.

Who needs an electric-gas hybrid - I love my econo-sport hybrid!

John Hesch
'99 Convertible

Looks like things haven't changed a bit. I just finished an 1800 mile trip from Alabama to Wisconsin and back in my 2004. My odometer reading when I started out was 700 miles. I averaged 29.1 mpg going there and 30.1 coming back. This was based on actual gallons used per total miles. This was about one half MPG less than my display showed (29.5 and 30.5 respectively) which was close enough for me. Needless to say, I am totally pleased. It should be noted, though, that I rarely exceeded the speed limit on I-65 by more than 8 mph. Also, I set my tire pressures at 35 PSI going there and 30 PSI coming back. The higher pressures didn't increase gas mileage going there, but the lower pressures made the ride back less bumpy. Since I don't have Selective Ride Control, that wasn't a factor.

John K.

:pat :pat :pat Never forget 9/11.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom