Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

muffler eliminators

hotshotzny

Corvette
bright red 1984 crossfire
i was wondering if anyone has installed muffler eliminators on thier car... a friend of mine has a near identical car to mine and his exhaust is shot and hes considering them.. i was mainly wondering just how loud they make the car... im not a big fan of an obnoxiously loud car but i love the V8 rumble

I removed the mufflers from my 88 coupe. I replaced them with a system from corvette central that eliminated the mufflers. they have some fiberglass packing and it gives the car a deep mellow sound. Not real loud. Part number 324437 $201.00 for the pair. They have nice chrome round outlets 2 on each side

thats pretty much the same set we were looking at im sure.. for the price it doesnt seem like a horrible deal.

my exhaust isnt in the best shape either but nowhere near as bad as his so i will use him as my crash test dummy

My 90 has all three cats on it. I took the mufflers off and replaced them with straight pipe... couldn't carry on a conversation in the car so the mufflers went back on. I am almost done with my 3 in catback and home made mufflers. will be posting pictures and sometime next week.
Actually didn't make them at home, did it in the shop at work.
Glenn
:w

I've had them on my 96 for several years now.(Corv Central) it sounds great at traffic speed and not particularly loud. I still hear radio and converse just fine. But, when you put your foot in it, That's when they're worth every penny. In hindsight, I think a muffler shop could do the same thing for a comperable price or less. Just make sure the tail pipe gets past the rear bumper by an inch or so to reduce resonance. You can hear them on the link below.

I have had them on my 89 for quite awhile now i make myself laugh because i put a supercharger on my car and it sounds like when i give it a good rev they sound like they are ready to shoot right out the back..sounds good though i've been happy with them.. Funny when the motor is cold it sounds like a harley after you let up on the gas..and we all know what a harley sounds like letting up on the gas..
Rich

If you have all three of your cats on the car I do not see how running muffler eliminators would make it to loud. I have them on my car without cats and at idle it sounds very nice, but at WOT it is almost to loud.

Vettefan87,how loud would you say it is in DD traffic and what not? My '89 is my main DD and I was thinking about a front Y pipe w/o pre-cats and a high flow cat with these muffler eliminators to replace the choked up quiet stock setup. Do you think that would be to loud for a daily driver? My stockers are looking uuuugly and all the cats look just as bad and without a welder it'd have to be bolt on like these are.

Just removed a set from my 88 with the oval chrome tips, to bring back to original. They are in very good condition.$50.00 plus shipping E mail for pics.

Just bought a 1993 vette that has the muffler eliminators. It sounds terrible to loud cant even think in the car sounds more like a broken tail pipe then an exhaust system. Looking to replace it with maybe magna flow mufflers or stock ones you are welcome to take the pipe when I replace them they are like new.

I have them on my 84, it sounds the same as mufflers, your cat is what keeps it quite, at idle anyway. Go for it they sound great, and the extra rumble makes you feel like you are going faster:thumb.

Vettefan87,how loud would you say it is in DD traffic and what not? My '89 is my main DD and I was thinking about a front Y pipe w/o pre-cats and a high flow cat with these muffler eliminators to replace the choked up quiet stock setup. Do you think that would be to loud for a daily driver? My stockers are looking uuuugly and all the cats look just as bad and without a welder it'd have to be bolt on like these are.

I don't mind it since most times I would rather listen to the exhaust then the radio ;). But at WOT I can't hear the radio, or hear a person talking on the phone if I am on the phone. But at normal driving speeds under 2500 RPM's it isn't bad at all. And with the high flow cat your going to run it should be somewhat quieter.

No doubt it will be loud, but before you buy the muffler eliminators run it with just the rear Y. You will probably hear more resonance though since the exhaust is getting dumped right by the rear tires.

The eliminators are just pipes, you can buy some with baffles in them though. If you are somewhat handy you could even do a cheap mock up with junk pipes to see if you like it.

I have them on my 84, it sounds the same as mufflers, your cat is what keeps it quite, at idle anyway. Go for it they sound great, and the extra rumble makes you feel like you are going faster:thumb.

yea ya cant go fast around here anyway so i may as well sound like it!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom