Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

mufflers

stratosjohn

Corvette
1976 coupe & 1987 convertible
I'm looking to replace the stock mufflers on my 1987. Need to do this as inexpensive as possible. (just bought a 1976 Vette) The stock mufflers have no sound to them. I don't want something that sounds like the old time glass packs. Ecklers has a KBD Targa muffler for around $140 for the pair. Anybody tried these? If anyone has any other suggestion feel free to make it. I understand that the better systems sound better but for right now thats not going to happen.:(

I had the "cheap" Monzas on my 87 (similar to the Targas) and they were throaty and loud. I loved it. Of course my hearing was shot beforehand so... Anyway I got a little better gas mileage and it seemed that there was a power uptick. If you like noise at idle and cruise, they're the ticket!

I agree with Jerry, I've heard the monzas on a friends 90, they sound really good, but I haven't spent a long road trip inside the car so I can't say whether they are tolerable for long trips.

I chose flowmaster 50s from Summit racing, they sound good under hard acceleration inside and out, and they are a little more mellow when just cruising. The 40s series have a more aggressive sound, but more resonance so I've heard.

Hope this helps...by the way, if you're looking to save money, don't go with the normal corvette parts dealers (Ecklers, MAD, etc) shop around, you can find them much better priced.

I've heard those KBD's before. They do have quite a throaty sound to them. Good bang for your buck. But don't rule out Flowmasters. They're not that expensive and the sound is scary!:L:L:L

Mufflers??:confused

What is a muffler.

I have pipes where the mufflers should be.:_rock

Now thats the ultimate cool sound!!!!!!

:Steer

If you stil have the car's cat in place, you want better sound, you don't car about interior noise and you want the cheapest fix possible, just take the mufflers off and replace them with pipes.

Thanks for all the replys. Just had a friend say he talked to someone who removed either the cat. converter or pre converters on his vette and it helped the sound. Anyone eliminate the pre converters and improve their sound? I see alot places sell pipes without the pre converters. Thanks in advance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom