Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My 2003 Vette pings

My guess: If you lower the air restriction (halltec) the engine breathes better (more air) and same amount of gas the engine runs leaner (like his mechanic said), hence higher temps and pinging. This is especially true during any transition to acceleration when the lower restriction allows the air flow to change faster then the MAF is programmed to respond. Since the MAF is input to the fuel mapping, the gas doesn't ramp up as fast as the air. Lean condition. Better gas would give you a broader operating window to not have pinging happen at the leaner mixture.

Had the same issue on my '01. It was the Halltech. Stock airbox did not ping with 91 Octane gas. You may also notice more pinging on hot days. Try to lower engine temps below 195 with a 180* t-stat and adjust fans lower with LS1-Edit.

I'm with Surfnsun. I liked Texaco for all my cars and they were 'absorbed' into a bunch of Shells. Shell gas didn't have a good reputation when they were kicked out of Washinton State for some shady business dealings and price fixing (rumor). I won't go to them. Chevron has always given me good results. I only put 92 in my tank. On Vancouver Island B.C. I've gotten 94 octane, but that is rare. Arco is 10% ethenol alcohol (look on the side of the pump) and makes all my vehicles run really bad. After I change back to regular gas from Arco my engine stalls until my ECU re-adjusts the mixture for the new gas (93 chev truck). Arco is okay for lawnmowers (maybe), but the alcohol will evaporate a lot easier thus reducing it's value. You get what you pay for. - R

Can't believe all of these responses - ya'll buy a sports car and then you run crap gas in it and can't understand why it pings! Vettes are made to run 93 octane and up, and if you are running anything lower they will ping to death!

Can't get higher than 91 Octane in Nevada and we have to pay $2.35 a gallon!

Or, modifications are made to increase the performance, and then when pinging starts, it is as if there was some sort of manufacturer defect. Bottom line, if you change the box stock configuration in any way (even if it is just a cold air system, or a cat back exhaust), the manufacturer is off the hook. If you are unwilling to accept responsibility for any modifications you make, don't make the modification.

I currently run Chevron 91 octane gas without any problems. Before the SC install, I had a Blackwing and ran Arco gas without problems. The PCM should relearn the extra airflow from a different air filter. It doesn't sound like your PCM has compensated for the added airflow by increasing fuel flow.

I have to run at least 94 in my '71 LT1.
If I use anything less, the car is still running after I've turned the key off and I'm opening the door, if you know what I mean. It's like it doesn't want to shut off.
I wish I could find 100 octane around here.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom