Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My '73 Is Gettin A New "house"

J

JLMvette73

The frame off rebuild I'm starting on my '73 coupe (badly deteriorating frame) is gonna' be delayed by a month, but it's well worth it! When I remarried amd moved 2 years ago, I lost my garage that the car was stored in. It's been in a buddy's garage ever since. My wife asked me if I was ever gonna' get the car running again, to which I replied that it's a real P.I.T.A. to drive a half hour to work on the car, plus I don't have all the tools there to work on it. To my complete surprise, her reply was "then why don't we have a garage built so that you can work on it here? " DARN, I LOVE THIS WOMAN!!!! So week after next, my new, 24 X 30 garage/shop will be built. 10 foot ceiling for plenty of head room and a 6-12 pitch on the roof for lotsa' storage space. I feel like a kid anticipating Christmas morning!!:D

Jerry

Same discussion,
same decision,
that I had with my wife.

24' deep x 30' wide

Enjoy! Post pictures.

I am pretty giddy myself!
(Now I need a 73 vette to keep my 73 camaro company!)

Definitely will take some pictures. Mine's gonna' be 24' wide x 30' deep. Singe 16' X 8' door. 200amp service (wanna' make sure to have plenty of juice for my welder and compressor.) I was gonna put in a white rock drive from the street, 45' long X 20' wide, but the wife thought a concrete drive would look much nicer! Who am I to argue!!!!;)

That's pretty much what happened to me about a year ago! My Vette lived in the back yard since 1991, and my wife asked when I was going to restore it. I replied, "We don't have the garage space..." She said ,"Why don't we just expand our garage to whatever space we need". So we added about 800 Square feet!

Man, don't we have GREAT wives!

Bill

Having a play house for the vette is great!

I moved the thread over here to the Corvette Stables Forum.

Don't forget the esentials....plumbing, toilet, a/c, phone, and cable!

and since you ar building it, be sure to wire :
1 ethernet cable for that cable powered router( gotta have the computer in there ) ,
2 wire some speakers, and while you are at it you should
3 plumb it for multiple in wall compessor fitting locations
4 security??(video cameras, motion sensors, anything to keep the baby safe)

and the luxuries of:
1 ac/ heat
2 lift
3 ventalation
4 retractable cieling extention cords
5 floor drains(if legal) nice to be able to wash it inside
6 heated floors??

yeah they are extreme but it is always nice to dream

BTW dont forget to get a well insulated double gaurage door

Jerry,
This sounds very cool. I need one of these myself. My 73 roadster has a nice home. But I have a small sheep farm in the country that could sure use a cabin/shop like yours. Are you going with metal or some type of wood product? If you don't mind me asking - how much just for the building itself?

Save the Wave,

Michel :pat

We considered metal, wood and vinyl, and decided, because of the location of the garage in relationship to our house, to side it in clay colored vinyl to match the house. Floor drains will be installed when the floor is poured. I'll be installing electric heat, a/c and of coarse running water & a phone line. I've got an extra satellite dish and receiver, so that will be installed, along with a stereo recevier and the Bose 501 speakers that are just setting gathering dust on a shelf. Gonna have lotsa' light and plenty of wall receptacles. Also gonna' hang a couple of ceiling fans.

The fella that's building it for me also works with me and does absolutely fantastic work, plus he's giving me a break on the materials. I'm just paying his labor. The garage will be turnkey, plus he's pouring me a 45' long X 20' wide drive to the street. The cost of the whole thing including the drive is $13,000.00. He's even gonna' move and restretch my fence, which has to be moved to allow access the the street.

Jerry

Jerry,

Man that sounds like a SWEET DEAL :upthumbs Bet you can't wait. Be sure to show us the pics if you can.

Save the Wave,

Michel :pat

Well, if things had gone according to plan, the garage would be complete on the exterior, and we would be starting the driveway tomorrow. However, things didn't exactly go according to plans..........

When the contractors bid on my garage, their timeline was not even close to the actual. They started in March 2002, and planned to be finished by end of May 2002. They really finished in mid August 2002, and I was really getting frustrated, because I had alot of work to do on it, but I could not start until they were totally out of the way.

When it is all said and done, you tend forget all of those frustrations and enjoy your new space!

I hope things go much smoother real soon for you, so you can start enjoying your new garage!

Bill :pat

Things are starting to look much better now!

I am starting to dig this week... Hope it looks as nice as yours..

Just about done on the outside. Should start wiring the garage this weekend.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom