Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My accessory fuse keeps blowing! need ideas maybe something is shorted?

phrogs

Corvette
90 ZR-1 #854 and 1968 427/400 coupe
This is on my 90 ZR1 but i dont think that has anything to do with it, The fuse blew last week now it blew again!
It is supposed to be a 15 amp fuse and the one I removed was a 20 it was blown, That was a sign to begin with....my stereo is still all stock with one bose speaker working, And the freon is gone out of my A/C I think this might have something to do with it?

Im not sure where to start looking to find the problem I guess I have a short somewhere but where?

I replaced the 20 amp fuse with a 15 amp the previous owner had a 20 in there, but the radio, and the antena dont work, the A/C display is light but it is blank nothing is displayed and there are no controls.

any help is appreciated

johnny

Does the fuse blow the instant you put a new fuse in ?

No not right away.
the last one lasted about a week.
My wife came in today and told me it was blown again?
I havent done anything to it yet im still at work late shift baby!

jp

First thing is to find out what all operates off of this fuse, everything. Look in the owners manual for the location and it should tell you what all operates off of this fuse. These are some of my guesses, in the center console there is an acc wire for cell ph. or what ever 12v thing you want. One is hot all the time; one operates with the key and the neg. Check it to see it is not touching each other or anything. Another is the console light; you can take the bulb out or unplug it, do the same with the glove box light if you have one. Leave them unplugged until the fuse blows or not. Another is the under hood lights unplug them. Another is the electric antenna unplug it; I think you can get to it on the drivers side at the end of the compartment where you store the top. Pull the carpet too you and you will see some wires and a rubber plug. Pull the plug and you will see a connector just unplug it. If you want and are going to buy a new one just cut the wires at the power antenna. I do not think your ac is the problem because it has a high pressure bypass switch and will not power the compressor to kick on unless it has so much Freon or pressure. This is assuming that your wiring is all stock. If you will find out the info about the fuse I will see if I can think of anything else. There are many more things that draw power after the key is off but these are the things that I could think of off of the acc. Hope this helps some maybe we can narrow it down when you get fuse info. :)
Ps Sorry for the long post

It could even be a bad relay. I would use a volt meter to test all the connections leads.

I had a shorted out Right Front Bose Speaker/Amp take out the 15 amp fuse on my 1990. Good thing the fuse blew, when I went to replaced the RF speaker/amp, the Bose circuit board was burned black and melted.

You might want to unplug the bad speakers on the Bose and see if that solves the problem. :dance

Well I installed a new fuse today and everything is working, The speakers are probably a good place to start Its all working now,
the temp sensor, radio , anttena, interior lights..

they all work now I have tomorrow off so ill try to deal with it then..
thanks for the help guys

johnny

Sorry I put in a 15A fuse in there

The Big reason I posted on here is because I was at work and away from my shop manual.

Ill figure it out tomorrow or when I have more oportunity to tear into the car.
But with the 15A in there everything is working must be Im hitting a bump and its causing the short to happen because its not something that is total shot as everything is working.

johnny

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom