Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My body is back on the frame

cbernhardt said:
Larry:

I am facing a similar hood clearance problem with my car. From your pictures it would appear that you will have to add a hood scoop/bulge to clear any type of carb mounted air cleaner. What are you planning for a hood scoop? Someone gave me an old C1 "L88" type hood that will give me about 3"-4" of clearance above the base of my carburetor, but I'm not sure I like the looks of the hood on the car.

06100505.jpg

If recall correctly, the original cars had about 1.5" of body "rake". The stance of your car looks about right to me.

Hope to see you in Carlisle.

Charles

Charles

I have a new 67 big block hood skin ,with midyear nose cone( the cone was given to me by a member here )I plan on grafting onto an original C1 hood frame ,but I just havent had the chance to do it. I am just going to cut a hole in this hood for the time being,

stepinwolf said:
Larry, There is absolutely nothing I could add , that hasn't been said already. Terrific build, and looking forward to seeing it up close and personal at the upcoming show.

I noticed you have installed a front mounted, serpentine conversion kit. I am in the process of shopping for one, myself, and was thing of going with the unit available from " March " . Any thoughts on my choices.

regards
Bob

aka Stepinwolf

The kit I have on mine is called the March perormance Ultra low mount set up.
the quaility of the kit is excellent I definately got my moneys worth.

Delph said:
I was wondering; why does every build that I see that uses c4/c5 suspension components use the c5 rims? Is this the only rims that will fit? Not a big deal I was just curious. I even saw a really nice C2 in the June or July issue of Corvette Fever and they had the same rims. It was silver with red interior.

Tim

oh yea---your car looks great

When I was planning to build this car my original plan was to take the wheels and tires off of my wifes 02 C5 and get her a new set,Last year at corvettes of carlilse (after we picked out a new set for her) did I realise that I could only use the front tires off of her car.To make a long story short I never got her a new set i just purchased a set for the 62 while we were in carlilse. By saturday afternoon I had seen some of the vendors had C6 style rims for sale.I like the C5 tires over the C4 tires as the show more of the suspention

Wow Larry...

I wasn't sure how all that yellow would look, but you pulled it off very tastefully. Excellent work on a beautiful car.

Wes

Delph said:
I was wondering; why does every build that I see that uses c4/c5 suspension components use the c5 rims? Is this the only rims that will fit?....

Tim:
The C4 suspension used on these cars is wider than the stock C1 so the wheels required to fit inside the stock wheel wells have to have a lot of backspace. The C5 (and some Camaro, Firebird, etc.) wheels fit correctly and they are readily available. When I built my wife's 62 I had a set of custom steel wheels made (7" x 16" with a 5.25" backspacing) but I had all kinds of problems getting 4 that were round enough to use.
Charles

Larry, looks great. You really have been working your butt off lately. Really a tight fit getting that BB in there, but you did a great job. All the other components look excellent as well. Keep up the momentum! Carlisle here we come!

cbernhardt said:
Tim:
The C4 suspension used on these cars is wider than the stock C1 so the wheels required to fit inside the stock wheel wells have to have a lot of backspace. The C5 (and some Camaro, Firebird, etc.) wheels fit correctly and they are readily available. When I built my wife's 62 I had a set of custom steel wheels made (7" x 16" with a 5.25" backspacing) but I had all kinds of problems getting 4 that were round enough to use.
Charles

I thought it was something like that. Of all the builds I see, I rarely see one with other wheels and tire combos. They may use the Z06 style but I would like to see a Resto-Mod with a different set of wheels that look more period correct. 17's 18's or 19's that have a hot rod look to it. I am not knocking any of these cars at all. They are totally awesome and look incredible. I was just making a statement that I would like to see a different set of wheels and tires.

Larry,

I used some Energy Suspension urethane mounts on my car. They are the same thickness as the original GM ones, so you won't pick up anything there. You could allways make a set of solid ones and pick up at least 3/4" of additional hood clearance, but you would lose the vibration isolation.

Regards, John McGraw

Delph,

You can get wheel vintiques to make you anything you wanted in a correct looking wheel. I am sure that for the right money, they could even make something that a C1 wheelcover would fit on. These wheels would cost a bunch of money, and when all is said and done, you would need to just make a decision as to whether it is worth it. The C5 wheels are a real cheap and offer a lot of bang for the buck. I am going to have some Budnik wheels made for mine next winter, but they won't look any more original then the C5 wheels, just different.
Personally, I think that C5 wheels look nice and I kind of want to show off the fact that I have late model suspension. With original wheels, how would I ever show off a set of C5 Z06 calipers and big Baer brake rotors? LOL

Regards, John McGraw

Delph said:
....I was just making a statement that I would like to see a different set of wheels and tires.
Even though they are unfinished at this point, here is a picture of the 17in. wheelcovers I am putting on my 59 project. Think they will be different enough?
12010409.jpg

John Mcgraw said:
Delph,

You can get wheel vintiques to make you anything you wanted in a correct looking wheel. I am sure that for the right money, they could even make something that a C1 wheelcover would fit on. These wheels would cost a bunch of money, and when all is said and done, you would need to just make a decision as to whether it is worth it. The C5 wheels are a real cheap and offer a lot of bang for the buck. I am going to have some Budnik wheels made for mine next winter, but they won't look any more original then the C5 wheels, just different.
Personally, I think that C5 wheels look nice and I kind of want to show off the fact that I have late model suspension. With original wheels, how would I ever show off a set of C5 Z06 calipers and big Baer brake rotors? LOL

Regards, John McGraw

thats what I was talking about. Put some Budniks on there and make it yours. I think that all of the money we are putting in these cars and the money a few of you are with the updated suspension, drivetrain and the like. That money for the rims is just another thing. I am not saying anything is wrong with the C5 wheels at all. I was initially curious and now I know. I wouldnt want to see a Resto Mod C1 with hubcaps either and you are correct about Wheel Vintiques, they makes some really nice stuff. They made my 17's for my 67. :D

cbernhardt said:
Even though they are unfinished at this point, here is a picture of the 17in. wheelcovers I am putting on my 59 project. Think they will be different enough?
12010409.jpg

are you serious? How big are those tires?

Delph said:

Those are hubcaps he made himself,go to his web site to better understand.

Charles must have grown up on a farm or something as I marvel at his creations. While your looking at his site look at what he has done with his headers

Delph said:
They are 245/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sports, mounted on C5 wagon wheels.
After my experience with Wheel Vintiques in building some 7 x 16 steel chrome smoothie wheels for my wife's 62, I would not recommend them for building steel wheels. Perhaps their aluminum wheels are better, but I had to return 3 out of 4 of the wheels I ordered, and one of the replacements is still out of round enough that it cannot be balanced to an acceptable level on a Hunter 9700 machine
Charles

cbernhardt said:
They are 245/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sports, mounted on C5 wagon wheels.
After my experience with Wheel Vintiques in building some 7 x 16 steel chrome smoothie wheels for my wife's 62, I would not recommend them for building steel wheels. Perhaps their aluminum wheels are better, but I had to return 3 out of 4 of the wheels I ordered, and one of the replacements is still out of round enough that it cannot be balanced to an acceptable level on a Hunter 9700 machine
Charles

I had the same problem with one of my 17x8 Billet Aluminum Rally rims. They didnt give me too much crap when I told them the tire shop said the wheel was out of round. The problem was, it was the last wheel left to put on and we had to put the car all back together with the stock wheels and wait a week or so before the replacement wheel came in...what a mess. Anyway all is good now.

here are a few picture with the 17's from Wheel vintiques.

TimsVette4-05-05009.jpg
169401Vette_67_0058.jpg
TimsVette4-05-05007.jpg

Delph said:
here are a few picture with the 17's from Wheel vintiques.

TimsVette4-05-05009.jpg
169401Vette_67_0058.jpg
TimsVette4-05-05007.jpg

It may be me or it may be the angle that the picture was taken but it looks like the front wheels have a deeper dish than the rear wheels. :confused

I've looked at every wheel and talked to every manufacturer, Halibrand, American racing, Billet vintiques, to name few. Nobody makes anything but new style wheels in the offset I need so I'm stuck with what I have. 16" chrome Trans Am wheels since I don't like the modern style aftermarket wheels.

The wheel manufacturers are aware of the lack of wheels for the conversion cars and were familiar with the problem so maybe they will address it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom