Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

my dream garage finished!

allcoupedup

Corvette
1965 Rally Red Coupe w/sidepipes
well not completely.... still needs paint, concrete sealant, final inspection, a 4 post lift, and a drop down staircase. Codes limited the peak of the roof to 17' so we had to get creative to fit a lift with enough room for a 3rd car underneath. My lot is too narrow for a three car and the gargae was limited to 660 square feet so we went with a gambel style roof and cut out a section of the ceiling. The opening for the lift is about 17' x 9'. For extra strength we used a double LVL beam throughout the length and used a pole atop a 2'x2' footing in the center of the slab. The rafters are 16" OC and each junction was reinforced with plywood on both sides. Since the slope on the top section of the roof is so shallow we built a frame wall above the beam to the peak to support any snow. We used a monolitic concrete pour at 6" with an outer perimeter of 20". This sucker is rock solid.

We ran 15 and 20 AMP circuits. The 20 is for the lift and compressor and the 15 is for the lights and openers. Believe it or not the plans were drawn up in MS powerpoint and this thing was constructed by a telecom hardware designer, a computer programmer, and an industrial engineer.

As far as the inspector knows the opening is for canoes ;)

it's been a rough three months but well worth it!

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

Brian

17 Ft high!!! What are you storing under the Vette; an Expedition or a school bus? ;) Great looking work.

My project just got closed in and that took my wife and I a month (after the foundation and floor were poured). I figure I have another month to go before we are done. After that comes a new driveway and a 35 x 18 ft deck for the wife (it's only fair since she paid for my garage). Gotta get all that done before it snows up here.

allcoupedup,

Wow! Thats a cool looking garage! Looks like a great design and very functional.

You have a really nice looking Vette as well.

Bill

Looks Great ! the things we do for our toys/hobby:cool

Very nice garage and well thought out. My next garage will definitely have a lift. thanks for sharing your 'vette house'pictures with us.

Dave

caulked tues, wed, thursday, Friday, Painted SAturday and Sunday.

Word to the wise - DO NOT USE the clear SILICON caulk as paint does not stick to it! Everywhere I used the caulk I can see through to the clear grey primer.

I knew paint does not stick to silicon and that's why I do not use armor all on the inside of the car. DOH!

Here's me in Menards in teh caulk aisle: ...hmmm why would anybody use white caulk instead of this clear stuf..... the clear stuff would leave a whole lot smaller mess.....

Here's my wife after I painted 3/4 of the garage: (pulling an empty tube out of the garbage) - he dumbass - it says paint does not adhere well to this caulk.

Oh well live an learn.

Brian

Wheres the HVAC to keep the baby warm during those cool winters?

SO... the "canoe hole" is for a car to be lifted so another can be parked underneath?

Yup. The 4 post lift should be installed on the weekend of the 20th. I'll post more pics after we get it in.

Brian

allcoupedup,

Did you ever get your lift installed? I'm following your build with interest, as I have something similar planned.

Thanks,
Barry

The lift is in.
I have better pictures on another computer - this is all I have for now.
IMG_0533.jpg

The lift was super heavy but manageable with a dolly, some 2x4's, and an impact wrench. The lift and a 2 ton folding cherry picker was $2160 SHIPPED. it came with casters (a MUST have), one sliding jack tray, and three drip trays.

I had it delivered to a factory my wife was working at and we tipped the fork driver $20 to load it in the box truck we rented. So I guess it cost me $120 to get the lift to my garage.

I'm 5'6" and can walk under the rails without ducking.

More pics to follow.

Brian

Greg Smith equipment sales out if Indianapolis, IN.

They sell it on their website minus the caster kit and drip trays for $1995. They sell it on EBAY for $1899 with the accessories (caster kit, drip trays, and jack tray). I kept losing the auctions - they do one every 3-5 days but they wouldn't sell it to me at $1895 without EBAY.

They sell a bunch of other industrial equipment thats not easily found on their website like media blast cabinets, cherry pickers, engine stands, etc.... When dealing with a 1500 lb lift the other stuff gets shipped for peanuts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43998&item=2434814676

Ask for Greg - he's a nice guy and a true salesman. The only unfortunate thing is that it's made in China. The pump is made in Rockford, IL. I hate buying Chinese but I wasn't going to spend an extra $1000+ to keep it domestic.

Brian

Very nice Brian! How long did it take to put up? With winter on the horizon I bet your one happy camper to have your cars inside.

Dave

Dave,
The Lift took about 8 hours. I was with my all-knowing father in law (he knows EVERYTHING - you know what I mean) and I had to make two trips to sears for big and deep metric sockets. If I had the right tools and a buddy I would say four hours.

Here's some more pics:
104_0465.JPG

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

If any wants the plans or detailed photographs let me know.

Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom