Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My First Vette

J

JC426

Was wondeing if anyone cn help me? I im in th process of starting to restore my first vette. It is a 1967 Convertable. The car has a 327ci motor. My question is this....The 327 is not the orginal motor, and I am getting some feed back from other people that this car may have originally been a 427 car. It has the Big Block hood, but that could have just been added. What things can I look for to help me determine if this car was originally a 427 car. Im new here, and I see that all of you really seem to know your Vettes. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

Welcome Jim!

I am still waiting for my first vette, while I do I am enjoying this Board very much. Best group of car enthusiasts I have found on the net!

I think all motors on the 1967 were 427 CI motors of different horsepower ratings. Check out the 1967 specs at:

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c2/1967/

Any comments anyone?

Congrats on the Vette! :)

The easiest way to find out more info on your car would be to locate your build sheet and post your RPO codes on the site. If you have the original build sheet it will tell you everything (there are exceptions) that came on the car from the factory. Good luck :D

Spiderman :w

Thanks for the info guys. I have already checked for the build sheet, but is gone. That is why I have all this confusion. I have heard that the 427 cars had differet rear leaf spriings than those of the 327, but again this is my fist vette, and you guys are the experts here. I just dont want to sink the time and the money into restoring it as a 327 to find out that the car is really a 427 car. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

Quickest/easiest clues to a '67 BB car are the inner half-shaft U-joint attachment at the diff yokes (BB cars used steel caps with bolts, SB cars used U-bolts with nuts), and presence of a BB-only rear stabilizer bar. '67 BB's used a copper/brass radiator with no expansion tank, SB's used the stacked-plate aluminum radiator with an expansion tank on the RH inner fender. There are many others, but these are the most obvious.

Apparently there were 6,375 1967 corvettes with 327 motors.

Actually, there were 13,667 '67 Vettes with 327's (60% of production); 7,292 327/300hp base engines, and 6,375 L-79 327/350's. The other 9,273 were 427's.

If the car does turn out to be a 327 car, don't be disheartened. My dad had a 67 L-79 and he spanked his share of Rats in that mousy little thing.

- Eric:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom