Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My new 1998 C5. Payed too much??

C

corvette_4765982

I have just purchased a 1998 corvette coupe, 6-speed, silver, and fully loaded. So with 44,000miles on the clock , and this car is in mint shape how much was a fair price??? I payed $29,000.
I wonder how much it will be worth in a year after the C6 comes out. I had a 93 40th Ruby that was mint and lost on that back in 2000. I love Corvettes but do you think I should have waited until the spring of 2004???

I've been looking for a 99 hard top, the coupes seem to be going for that.
You might be right about the wait but then how many people do you think will be spending 60K for a vette? not me not any time soon.
I'll probably be waiting a few more years and I hope the price will come down more.
tom

corvette_4765982 said:
I have just purchased a 1998 corvette coupe, 6-speed, silver, and fully loaded. So with 44,000miles on the clock , and this car is in mint shape how much was a fair price??? I payed $29,000.
I wonder how much it will be worth in a year after the C6 comes out. I had a 93 40th Ruby that was mint and lost on that back in 2000. I love Corvettes but do you think I should have waited until the spring of 2004???
I guess the market here in Canada is alot different than in the U.S. I can usually count the number of C5 I see in a month in the summer. I would die if I saw someone driving a C5 in the winter in this climate!!

The price is ok if it is in good shape. It's all relative. Will the prices drop when the C6 comes out? Yes. So what. It is still a great car and will keep more of its value than 99% of the other cars on the road. Most cars are disposable after 10 years not a Corvette. Enjoy your Corvette. Keep it clean and well maintained and you will be a winner.

Well I almost strayed and was looking at a really nice 90 Porsche 911 C4 coupe in red with 18" turbo twist wheels. But, Corvettes are an addiction that I cannot deny! V8 power is the only way to go. There is no replacement for displacement!!

corvette_4765982 said:

Seems like a reasonable price to me unless it was Canadian dollars, then you stole it.

Whatever the case, you didn't do bad, so enjoy it and forget about what you paid for it. Worrying about it can only detract from it's true value, your enjoyment.

Dick

I don't know about the market there, but I got my black in black 2000 coupe about a month and a half ago with 14,200 miles and zero defects for 28998 (pretty close to 29,000). Also loaded and a 6-speed. An easy decision at the time and love every days drive since.:Steer

corvette_4765982 said:

If you're happy with it, just enjoy it.
Buying a used car is not unlike buying a new one...everyone pays a different price.

If it was worth it to you, you did well and got what you wanted.

If you love the car, that's all that matters now.
By the way, congratulations and welcome!!

Nice choice on the Sebring Silver too, beautiful color!!

Pedro

I think I made the right choice because you have to go off of condition with these cars not mileage. The problem with this model is that they are so easy to roll back. All you have to do is switch the dash cluster or reprogram it and then you can do what ever you want. I made sure that it had all the documentation to back up it's mileage, but after all you have to look at condition.

You have to buy what you like. I found a 1998 on ebay but went to the dealer to see it before purchasing and took in on a test drive. I bought it there and the ebay listing was ended. I was a loaded red coupe , 6 speed, 13, 000 traded in a new nissan Z covertible by a doctor.

So lets have some fun. Guess what I paid. I will post the answer later this week

Dave

98 convertible in the paper today for 24k :eek

Dave1998 said:
You have to buy what you like. I found a 1998 on ebay but went to the dealer to see it before purchasing and took in on a test drive.

Dave

I think ther is a lot of that going around. I did the same thing on a 96 convertible about 6 weeks ago.

It's a relatively cheap way to get a big ad out nationally to a focused market with a ton of color pictures on the web.

At the time I bought mine, the dealer had done about 10 ebay auctions but hadn't sold one car on ebay.

I got mine from a Lexus dealer, paid what Kelly Bluebook sez I should have paid a private party for it. I'm happy, I assume the dealer is happy because he took the car off the aution early by selling it to me.

Funny thing is, I paid way under the reserve price. Makes me think that if you see a dealer selling a car on ebay, it would pay to make him an offer directly even if you think you are going to be under his reserve price.

You make a good point. The car dealer is not actually interested in selling the car shown on ebay. It is simply cheap advertising for the dealership. You cant buy cheaper nationwide advertising with color pics. Heck, a local newspaper ad for a week costs the same. , ie Milwaukee, WI. And yes, I paid Thousands below the reserve of ?????.

If you bought the car that you wanted, then feel good about it, jump in and drive. Asking if you paid too much after you’ve made your purchase may lead to grief. Better to gain time behind the wheel than buyers remorse.

Merry Christmas!!!
Congratulations on your new purchase. I too bought a 98 Sebring silver M6 this summer (July) and love it. I used to lookup pricing every day and never new what the true market for a C5 until I found my prestine 11K mile gem. Now I really don't care, I paid what I thought was the reasonable price at the time, I sleep well at night. So if you are happy, then get in it, drive it, and enjoy it. Now I have to go out to the garage and give her a big hug.

This February I paid 27,500 for my 98 red convertible, auto tranny, near mint shape, and near loaded. I bought the car from a friend who bought the car new so I am pretty confident in the 40K miles shown on the odometer. He could have sold it for more, but was glad to see the car end up with a friend. But now I am having the occasional gas gauge problem, and Chevy has repaired the steering column lock problem free of charge.

corvette_4765982 said:
Well I almost strayed and was looking at a really nice 90 Porsche 911 C4 coupe in red with 18" turbo twist wheels. But, Corvettes are an addiction that I cannot deny! V8 power is the only way to go. There is no replacement for displacement!!

Yeah but it not a vette!!!!

I suspect you hail from North Bay, Ontario so if you are sure there is no winter usage on it and you like it I would say the price was right.
Where was this picture taken?

Hi There, About a year and a half ago I bought a 99 hardtop for 24,500 with 62,000 miles on it. So heres how I did that. I have a client that does business with me so I try to business with him. I told him what I wanted and about 3 months later he called and told me that there was a c5 pewter hartop at the aution today and nobody bid on it. He told me he could walk away with it at the starting bid witch was 24,000.. A steal in my eyes.. So I trusted him and cut him a check for it.. Hell I figured I have invested over 300,000 of his money with Sun Amerca Securites. I ac trust him witn 25,000..
All and all ended up with a reel good deal and I have had no problems yet/ I curently have 83,000 miles now.. And lets keeping rolling them on............

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom