Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My Own Rant

singledad_9

Corvette
Y2k vette, 73 under construction
I've owned several british sports cars in my life and honestly still want one. With my MGB's and Jensen, I learned that you only drive them as far as you want to walk. I wondered why in my first MGB they included a wiring diagram in the owners manual. I really good in finding and fixing shorts.

They rattled, shook and smoke often came out of places that it should come out of. Heck none of the convertable tops kept anything out including rain or snow. They rusted so bad, considering that Britain is a wet climate, I understood planned obsolecence was not a product of the American auto industry but the british auto industry. I even had a bumper sticker saying: The Parts Falling Off this Vehicle are of the Finast British Manufacture.

But when they ran right, there was nothing like them. To this day, I still want another one. With therapy, I hope that this will subside.

My rant is with people who complain that the C5 vette is of low quality. We all have had our problems with our C5's but there is nothing like the C5 for the comparable price range. These complainers would probably complain about any brand. Sure, I could own a nice Beemer or MB or even a Porsche, but the maintenance costs associated with maintaining those vehicles would eat me alive. Finally, who says that their quality is any better than the vette.

There have been problems reported. Such as when some guy purchased a 700 horse power C5 and he blew out the clutch and tranny, the next day... Go figure. It had 4000 miles on it, probably 1/4 mile at a time. Others have whined about rattling, oil usage, seat covers and a wide variety of other problems. Unfortunately, these whines have been quite vocal on most of these boards.

My driver side seat needs to be re-covered. I need tires, bad. The dark color shows paint chips easily. I still have column lock problems but have learned to live with. There are noises that I cannot identify. But, overall, my experience with this car is one of complete and absolute satisfaction. The people who designed my vehicle really went out of the box when designing the C5. I have complete faith that the people who built my car, did it with the professionalism required to produce a superior vehicle.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if there are people who believe that are not getting their money's worth with their vette, they should get another vehicle. It's kind of like the saying America, love it or leave it. Well if you don't like your vette, get a Beemer. And, quit complaining.

I am lucky to own my vette and it is truly worth every cent I paid for it.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for verbalizing what I have been raging about. I own a 2003 Vette and fing it "as advertized", except being a chic magnet. Well, you can't have it all. But, what I have.. yea daddy.
Brian

Well said Mike!! Every car has it's own issues. I love my Vette and although it has been trouble free to this point, I will not complain too much if things happen:)

People are entitled to their opinions. Why is it wrong for them to expect better quality from a car because it costs $50k new when they get better quality and reliability from Honda Accord? Some are accustomed to this level of quality, then they step into a performance car because they've wanted one all their life and are disappointed. I had an old Acura Integra that had pop-up lights and never had a problem well past 100k miles. I'm currently rebuilding both motors in my C4 due to the fact that the bushings are gone.

I heard someone crapping on the Z06 a few weeks ago because he had a friend that just purchased a new Z06 and one headlight didn't go down. This was an infamous problem with GM pop-up lights thoughout the 80's. Who hasn't seen a Fiero or Firebird winking at them? Why is this still a problem in '02 and '03 cars? Another reason to leave the pop-ups for C6. His comment was that all you were buying was an engine.

Leon

Gorgon,

I agree that most of these bugs should be worked out. However, what we own are performance vehicles. The MGB's and Jensens I owned previously had their unique little quirks (some more than others). We learned to live with them.

I too have had problems with mine. But the overall experience has been one of absolute pleasure. The vette is by far and away, the best car I've ever owned.

Justafamilyman,

As far as being a chick magnet, I have to agree. But, consider what would you do if it was a magnet.... It is, to the best of my knowledge, impossible to do very much in the vette. On top of the vette, maybe but it might either scratch the paint or worst yet, mess up your most recent waxing. :(

Today is becoming sunny again, for the 4th day this month... Time to take the top DOWN

I would also like to see some of the issues worked out. I don't believe I should tolerate some of these issues just because it is a performance car. That being said, this car has tons of performance and I love every bit of it. :D It's not as much of a personal gripe for me, but I undertand why people are not happy. The performance is not as important to some of these people and does not offset the feeling about quality. So I spend an afternoon rebuilding my headlamp motors. Not a real big deal. The Integra NEVER had the grin factor either of these vettes bring. ;)

Leon

Mike you brought back memories of the 3 MG Midgets I have owned. I got about a 1/2 block from home when smoke started coming out of the dash :eek.

:w
Guy

I never tried the midget, I thought the B was a more attractive car. What was funny was when Mazda was building the Miata, they spent many millions to try to make their muffler sound like the MG. They finally figured out how to, by placing sand in the muffler. Which spoke volumes about the british cars.

I still love them and am keeping my eye on a TVR, but I do get more smiles per mile in my vette.

Mike

singledad_9 said:
I never tried the midget, I thought the B was a more attractive car.

Mike

I agree on the MGB's. Now I wonder how I ever fit in a Midget :D.

SPM - Smiles per mile - I love it :D.

:w
Guy

Pitty the poor "B" and Midget owners for they never had the opportunity to truly experience snow and rain comming under the top or side curtains of a TD or an "A".

Or how about the TD's points constantly corroding.... or the only indication that you were about to run out of gas being a little green light on the dash that came on when you were down to a gallon? By the way, with the top down and the sun behind you that light was useless!

Many many moons later, I asked a salesman at a clasic car dealer to keep an eye out for a TD or TC. I'd driven in in a Vette so he asked why. When I told him my first car was a TD, he responded that I probably still had a wonderful memory of my first girlfriend and that I would be better served to keep both as memories.

5 vettes down the road and I see how prophetic he was. Now, while I'd like to have another '66 or '71, I'll keep thier memories fond too and stick with the '00.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom