Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My solution to have 25` clear space...

andrewcanada

Corvette
worked on a couple `65`s
I have been re-structuring my 25x34 barn over the winter. It was built in the `40`s, and is a textbbok example of how NOT to build a barn. Not to bore dear readers with too many details, I decided to manufacture my own 25` beams, because 3x25`s were very hard to come by. They do exist, the local lumber yard stocks 2x24`s, but they`re fast growth, and of questionable strength. My beams are commonly known as box(ed) beams. They are made with 3/4" oriented strand board(OSB), aka chipboard or aspenite, with top and bottom 2x4 plates. 2x4`s connect the plates, much like a ladder that`s sandwiched by the OSB. I`ll post some pictures soon, as they`re worth a thousand words. Oh yeah, they measure 5"x12", and very unsientifically have 1/4" deflection (in the center) with 200lbs applied. These heavy and long(!) beams will be installed on top of the 12` high top plates, affording me 12`2" height and, of course, 25` of column free work space. More 3/4" OSB will be used for flooring on top of beams, with full 2x12 blocking between beams, every 3`(?). Experimentation is the name of the game. As far as building inspector and load ratings, this building was falling down, and the inspector was so impressed with my carpenters succes with straightening it, that he is trusting our judgement. Most of the 18 beams are built, but he`s gone out of town for two weeks, so we wait....:z Andrew

Let`s see if I can post some pix of barn

25x34, built late 30`s, early 40`s, was falling down, straightened, re-structured, new floor to be installed on top of Bryans 25` box beams. This will provide 12` height, full clear space. Here goes "browse..." Andrew

FINALLY!!!!!! I reduced compression quality when exporting to 45%, and presto. Now how do I attach all in one reply? We comepletly re-built the gable walls. The doors were moved "in", away from the corners in order to gain stength. As well we also sheathed both inside and outside.

This is one of the box beams. We tried installing "45`s" to reduce deflection, but surprisingly, we didn`t seem to gain any strength! But added alot of weight.These were built with econo grade 2x4`s, imperfect 3/4" OSB., construction adhesive at every joint and connection. Nailed with Paslode (gas) clipped head 31/4 nails through 2x`s, and 2" nails to fasten sheathing. I will post a material list soon...PS Count the saw horses neccesary to properly support the long beams.:Twist

Wow, that is certainly impressive. Those trusses look quite heavy. Will you need to hoist them into place?
JS

Good question. Bryan and I can manhandle these things. Four guys should be able to slide them through (hay) door. Though 25` and 200?lbs. is HEAVY! Hey New York, wanna` give us a hand???? Gotta` go..., it`s starting to rain and wood`s getting wet.:Steer Andrew

Those beams look plenty stout, should do the job for you! When we built our new home three years ago, I spec'd similar floor joists ("SilentFloor"), which are engineered joists - 8" high OSB centers, glued and nailed into dadoed 1'x3" top and bottom plates; have 74 of them, between 30' and 35' long, on 16" centers (ranch-style home). Then laid tongue-and-groove 4x8 sheets of 3/4" plywood on top (nailed, screwed and glued) for the subfloor. Result - NO squeaky floors, EVER. Neat stuff.
:beer

30`-35` long and only 8" deep!? Are you sure they`re not 18"? When I asked for 25`long, and only storage rated(+-35lbs sq ft), The chart specified 18". I didn`t want to lose 6 more inches and I would rather keep my carpenter busy than buy the Silent Floor jobbies. It`s also fun doing it yourself.:J Andrew. PS I`m going to go and look for a before picture of the bawn:s I`ll be back......

Found it! This snap wuz taken soon after my wife and I purchased the triplex that this barn came with in 1996. It had leaned alot more by the time we started fixing it in Jan. 2003. Boy would it creak on windy days!:eyerole Check the gaps around the doors. Andrew

Since I don`t have a Corvette, I`d like to have you meet my pet. In order not to get into trouble with the site administrators, I`ll put a thread related to STABLES. Lady Bug doesn`t like going in my barn. I guess it`s something to do with the horses:puke. Something has gone wrong, I tried to post a signature photo. I wonder what I did wrong? I`ll be back.... Everything looks allright. Maybe moderators are checking for boobies ors o m e t h i n g . Andrew

andrewcanada said:
30`-35` long and only 8" deep!? Are you sure they`re not 18"? When I asked for 25`long, and only storage rated(+-35lbs sq ft), The chart specified 18".

My bad - didn't mean to imply that they were clear-span at that length; they're supported every 10' with a column (typical basement construction), and the top and bottom plates are 2"x 2", not 1"x 3". Sure beats typical joist construction for a solid, squeak-free floor system - pic link below:

well cmon lets see them!!:beer

I promised to include a material list, but I wuz away for a week, and things have piled up. I did notice that we used a full box of 2" (strip) nails, plus a few from a `nother box, so 6500 per box, total 8000. These were used to attach the 3/4" sheathing to the 2x4`s. We also used about 15 monster tubes of adhesive, sounds like a little less than one per boxbeam. Here`s the beautys...:Roll :crazy :Roll, Andrew

Things are moving right along. The boys raised 4 beams this morning while I was away. By lunch time we had placed them on top of the top plate. Quite the struggle, as the roof rafters were in the way. We just released the tension on the come-a-longs that were holding the building from spreading to where it used to be. Bryan then invented an aparatus to lift the monsters through the hole in the floor with another come-a-long. I took somemore pictures, and we called it a day. I`ll post them in a few days, after Passover. Out of town at families... ;worship :m Andrew:CAC

The previous pictures aren`t the best. They show the first beam being hoisted up through a 26` long slot cut through the old floor. The other shot is from up above, showing the hole we cut, the pile of tin covering a corner of the "hay loft". We found flattened cardboard boxes under the tin, stamped with "September 1917". I`ll scan `em for the curious...:eek

To set the beams on top of the top plate, we had to slacken off the cables that we used to pull the bulging side walls in. The middle ones weren`t bad, but the last four at the front took a BIG crowbar and some gentle persuation(?) from our friendly 8lb sledge hammer.:bash Next we`re gonna` install full depth blocking with a rabetted 2x4 on the bottom. Sort of 2/3 of an I beam. This is how you overbuild. My carpenter has built high end houses that weren`t half as well built. Anybody want to come over and have a party on my new floor? :Twist :bar Andrew

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom