Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

my title has a typo in vin#

Vinny

Corvette
1967 Marina Blue Coupe
:confused I hope some one has some suggestions or maybe a solution to this problem: I just purchased a 1962 vette that has a New Jersey title. I had it shipped out to Arizona and while reviewing the paperwork I discovered that the vin# had a typo showing the vin as 20967s107xxx (the 9 is the error should be an 8). The plate on the steering column is the original plate and shows 20867s107xxx. The corvette black book states that all corvettes from 1960 to 1963 have the model series designations as 0867. There is no 9 model series for the corvette. So this is obviously a typo. Any ideas or experiences as to how to approach the Arizona DMV(tomorrow) with my problem so that I may legally title it in AZ? Unfortunately it has a NOM, so the numbers there wont help. Thanks in advance. This forum has been great. vinny

Because of the rarity of your Vette I would go to extreme measures to get that corrected through your tag and title office in Arizona.

:confused I hope some one has some suggestions or maybe a solution to this problem: I just purchased a 1962 vette that has a New Jersey title. I had it shipped out to Arizona and while reviewing the paperwork I discovered that the vin# had a typo showing the vin as 20967s107xxx (the 9 is the error should be an 8). The plate on the steering column is the original plate and shows 20867s107xxx. The corvette black book states that all corvettes from 1960 to 1963 have the model series designations as 0867. There is no 9 model series for the corvette. So this is obviously a typo. Any ideas or experiences as to how to approach the Arizona DMV(tomorrow) with my problem so that I may legally title it in AZ? Unfortunately it has a NOM, so the numbers there wont help. Thanks in advance. This forum has been great. vinny

I know here in Indiana when I buy a car from out of state I have to have the Police come out and run the Vin # to make sure that the car is not stolen or what ever. That would be a good time to tell the Police about the mistake in the typing. You may also might have the person you bought the car from write out a letter and have it notarized telling about the mistake in the Title. Best thing is if you have a good friend who is a cop and he can fill out papers to correct it for you.
I had the same thing happen on my 54 Corvette when they made the S the number 5 on the Washington State title and the police figured it out and corrected it for me. Good luck.

Thanks Mike and Sarge, the matter was resolved by being able to prove the vin was a typo via the use of a reference book entitled "corvette by the numbers".
The DMV issued a new corrected title and now the 62 happily resides in Arizona. Thanks for all the help! vinny/az

Good, glad to hear you got matters taken care of. Having the wrong Vin # on your car (title) is like having the wrong name or miss spelled name on your Birth Certif.

I had the same thing happem on a GTO convertible I bought in N Carolina. Got it home and went to title it and wrong vin#. They had me stencil the vin # and come back in same thing. She had a state vin book to decipher the vin# and no knowledge how to use it. I asked to see it and as I was explaining the vin to her before I even had the book so she agreed. Finally what she thought was an 8 was a B for Baltimore plant. I showed her again in the book that that space had to be a letter not a number. She finally agreed then asked if I had a few extra minutes to teach a short class on Vins to the other ladies. So while 40 people waited in line I taught 6 girls how to read the book that they had.

I bought my Vette from a Florida resident, and had the Florida title changed over to my Florida address. The title problem that I had was that the title came back to me showing my Vette was a 4 door! One call to to the DMV in Florida resolved the issue. I sent my title back with a letter of explanation, and received the correct title about 2 weeks later. I was in Massachusetts at the time, and my Vette was in Florida, so I couldn't drive it anyway.
Andy

My '59 title showed the last 3 as 81 instead of 881 on the Indiana title. I left it alone foe many years then finally decided to transfer it to Ohio where I have lived for 25 years. Indiana wanted 2 police inspections and other papers sworn ect. to correct it. All I had to do in Ohio was have a car dealer look at it and sign the state inspection form. Some states are easy. Some don't even trust their own police officers and require 2 of them to sign off.

Tom

I was missing a number in the VIN, had 16 characters instead of 17on my Impala. Just had to get the form verified and signed by a local police officer and don't forget the $60 fee. Now everything is right.

The $60 fee was for the Illinois Secretary of State office - Title correction fee. Not the Joliet Police dept, they just said "Have a nice day". I complained to the Chevy dealer who screwed up the title but they said not their problem.

The $60 fee was for the Illinois Secretary of State office - Title correction fee. Not the Joliet Police dept, they just said "Have a nice day". I complained to the Chevy dealer who screwed up the title but they said not their problem.
I guess they aren't concerned about repeat business or word of mouth.

Glad to hear you got the paperwork straight. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom