Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My transmission is shot I think.. need help

When you remove the bolts from the transmission to bell housing take one with you when you purchase a throw out bearing. Get a couple bolts that are about 4” long. Before you start to reinstall the transmission cut off the heads of the new bolts and insert them in the two upper holes of the bell hosing, just hand tight. Sometimes the transmission and clutch plate splines just don’t slide back in real sooth and holding the transmission up for any period of time gets heavy. The two longer bolts with the heads cutoff will support the transmission so your arms can take a brake. When the lower bolts are started remove the supporting bolts and install the other two originals. Put the supporting bolts is a safe place as it sounds like your going to need to use the again!
When I turned 16 I also wanted a Vette for my first car. Well Dad had other ideas and there was no way! So I just kept borrowing his 1963 Falcon Ranchero until he got sick of me using it. So after time and holding out the Vette was still out of the question but a neighbors 1966 GTO tri-power 4 speed car was OK, go figure :)
Brian

When you start pulling the starter, disconnect the battery!!! If not you can cause more trouble. Does the 76 have a clutch safety switch that has to make before the starter will spin??? I have an automatic so I don't know. Before pulling the starter I would check and make sure it is bad, a lot of work if it is not the problem. And ususally when someone pulls the starter, they wire it back in wrong, unless they pay attention where the different wires go.

When you start pulling the starter, disconnect the battery!!! If not you can cause more trouble. Does the 76 have a clutch safety switch that has to make before the starter will spin??? I have an automatic so I don't know. Before pulling the starter I would check and make sure it is bad, a lot of work if it is not the problem. quote]

Good Idea, I would of never thought of that. On the clutch brakcet There should be a small wiring connector with 2 wires. pull off the connector from the bracket and Get a paper clip and put the two endsw of the paper clip in the holes. Try staring it, if the car starts, you got a bad clutch safety switch.
zachh

Get a couple bolts that are about 4” long. Before you start to reinstall the transmission cut off the heads of the new bolts and insert them in the two upper holes of the bell hosing, just hand tight. Sometimes the transmission and clutch plate splines just don’t slide back in real sooth and holding the transmission up for any period of time gets heavy. The two longer bolts with the heads cutoff will support the transmission so your arms can take a brake.

Where were you when I was reinstalling my Muncie a few weeks back?! This is such a great piece of advice. I just wish I'd thought of it!
:beer J

I keep a plastic tailhousing plug with my "helper studs" - keeps the goo out of your hair. :)

2002228145643-2-TransTools.JPG

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom