Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My Vettes getting Hot!

Mikey v8

Corvette
1985 White Coupe
Hi Guys, ive just imported an 85 into the UK, however when I drive it it gets upto temp very quickly, about 190 degrees, but if I stop in traffic for say 30 seconds it gets upto 220-230 very quickly and the fans cut in and bring it down, but it soon gets back up, today it got to 240 after sitting in traffic for about 2 minutes, is this normal? The coolant level is fine so I cant see why it gets so hot and so quickly, its not even a hot day here today in the UK.

Yes Mikey, that's normal..These cars run hot.. Tamworth, I know it well, I'm from Kenley...Welcome to CAC.......Roger..:beer

Hi Roger! Kenley, as in Croydon? Thanks for the advice, it just seemed to rise up very quickly on the gauge, ive read a few posts on here about changing the thermostat and checking to see if the radiators blocked at the bottom, gives me something to do.....

changing the thermostat .....
Only effects warmup time ; once it is open has little effect on max temp

it just seemed to rise up very quickly on the gauge, .
Pri fan doesn't turn on until 228F
Is normal for temp to rise quickly when stopped

Pull the radiator , blow out 30 years of crud blocking the fins to ensure you have max airflow when fan operating
Being bottom feeder C4's suck up anything on the road ,also check area in front of radiator for rubbish

Corvette Forum - View Single Post - Cleaned radiator compartment Pics

Radiator_2_zps0ef78df7.jpg

Hi Roger! Kenley, as in Croydon? Thanks for the advice, it just seemed to rise up very quickly on the gauge, ive read a few posts on here about changing the thermostat and checking to see if the radiators blocked at the bottom, gives me something to do.....

Hi Mikey, Yes, Kenley, as in Purley. The tips on here are spot on...Must cost a fortune in petrol to run her though.....Roger.

Pri fan doesn't turn on until 228F
About the first half of the '85s had one fan, like the '84s.

Sensor in RT head or the A/C-ON starts the fan; sounds like that works. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom