Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Name the Part on the 1987 Airconditioner

582Boat

Corvette
1999 convertible, 2010 C6
I have a 1987 Corvette and would like to know what the part is called. It is part of the airconditioning and is located on the passengers side in the same area as the condenser, it looks like it is made of aluminum and on the top side it has two little square wire connecters, near the firewall, one has four prongs and the other has two. It must be a sensor that controls the temperature and fan. If you know what it is call, and know where it can be purchased please let me know.

Yes this is what I wanted, now what is the correct name for it and what is the main purpose it preforms and where can I purchase it, besides the dealer. Is there a part number. thanks

That is the solid state blower motor control module and heat sink, purpose is self explanatory. There is probably a GM part number somewhere on the assembly or sub-assembly. Did you pull it out to check? If you locate the p/n check with www.gmpartsdirect.com

Thank you very much for the information, yes I have had it out and there are part numbers on it. I jiggled the connectors to the heat sink and the blower motor kicked in, therefor cleaned up the connectors and now the aircondition system seems to be working fine, but think that I will replace just to be sure, it must be original since 1987. Thanks again so much.

Chances are it is an AC Delco item and you mau not hve to go to a dealer and pay their price for it. Check with auto parts stores in your area where you see an AC Delco sign in the window. Don't bother with AutoZone's, Shuck's/Kragen as they will not have them. Try a CarQuest store or maybe NAPA.

I would think that this part is also used on other C4's from the mid-80's to the early 90's and not specific to the 87.

C 4 Cruiser, thanks, yes it seems to be a Delco part with numbers 16061602 STK 8994J 2D9217 Will check with Napa or like part supplier. Pesently the unit is working like it should after I cleaned the contacts and put some electricl compound on the contacts.

C 4 Cruiser, thanks, yes it seems to be a Delco part with numbers 16061602 STK 8994J 2D9217 Will check with Napa or like part supplier. Pesently the unit is working like it should after I cleaned the contacts and put some electricl compound on the contacts.
It may work for another 19 years!! I wouldn't worry to much!! About 90% of the time on electronics items,I find a "Dirty Connection" Clean it,"BoeShield T9" it, and it's good to go!!:upthumbs
junk!!

That part looks amazingly like one I see on my 89 Riv heaterbox.It may be a part used across platforms in GM.

Glenn
:w

That part looks amazingly like one I see on my 89 Riv heaterbox.It may be a part used across platforms in GM.

Glenn
Yep, That's the Part I was talkin bout on yours,Glenn!!!!I've only had to replace 1!! And that was on a Buick and it got Melted at the connection and severely Shorted inside!!!!! I've cleaned the connection and T-9 ed them on a Bunch since then and have not had to replace!!! It may be the same one but I don't think my Buick was the same it had a little different plug!!:upthumbs

junk!!

Yep, That's the Part I was talkin bout on yours,Glenn!!!!I've only had to replace 1!! And that was on a Buick and it got Melted at the connection and severely Shorted inside!!!!! I've cleaned the connection and T-9 ed them on a Bunch since then and have not had to replace!!! It may be the same one but I don't think my Buick was the same it had a little different plug!!:upthumbs

junk!!
Thanks Junk.
That's great, I may even get a chance to fix mine this week. Between working on finishing out a basement 50 miles away,looking for a car,work,and other projects here at home I just haven't been able to spend time on it.
This site is once again a lifesaver for me.The old Riv will live to see a few more miles. :upthumbs

Glenn

Thanks you are probably right, I happen to have a product called CORROSION X put out by Corrosion Technologies Corp. and it is used to displace moisture, stop rust and corrosion.

That T-9 that Junk had recommended is the stuff for corrosion. It's waterproof and was developed by Boeing. Tis the shi*. Expensive but it actually works!

That T-9 that Junk had recommended is the stuff for corrosion. It's waterproof and was developed by Boeing. Tis the shi*. Expensive but it actually works!
Yes it is!!!! They drained the fluids out of a Bell Helicopter,soaked it in a Vat of T-9 and put it in the Ocean for 3 years I believe it was!! Pulled it out and pressure washed the barnacles out of it,filled it with fluids and flew it to Denver!!!!(I have a article on it somewhere in some old books) I've been using it for 15+ years on Electronics and unpainted pieces like Hood Henge's,Brake Boosters,Brackets under hood,and unpainted suspension parts!!!!!Oh did I say it is the Hot Stuff for Boats too?? Oh Yeah, don't use it inside a Distributer Cap, The Spark won't jump through it to the pins!!!!:L :upthumbs

junk!!

That T-9 that Junk had recommended is the stuff for corrosion.

http://www.boeshield.com/

t912.jpg

Geez guys...it's ONLY $100/gallon. Your Vette's worth that, right?

Yes it is!!!! They drained the fluids out of a Bell Helicopter,soaked it in a Vat of T-9 and put it in the Ocean for 3 years I believe it was!! Pulled it out and pressure washed the barnacles out of it,filled it with fluids and flew it to Denver!!!!(I have a article on it somewhere in some old books) I've been using it for 15+ years on Electronics and unpainted pieces like Hood Henge's,Brake Boosters,Brackets under hood,and unpainted suspension parts!!!!!Oh did I say it is the Hot Stuff for Boats too?? Oh Yeah, don't use it inside a Distributer Cap, The Spark won't jump through it to the pins!!!!:L :upthumbs

junk!!

Let me get this straight.. your putting this on electrical connections.... but if you put it inside the dist the spark won't jump through it? Then why don't it insulate the terminals on electrical connections ??

I replaced my module with one from my parts car and cleaned the terminals.
Now I am back to not being able to turn the heat down. I think I have a heater control problem on mine. Now to find the control.:eek

Glenn

Let me get this straight.. your putting this on electrical connections.... but if you put it inside the dist the spark won't jump through it? Then why don't it insulate the terminals on electrical connections ??

Same as with dielectric grease. Because you have a (supposedly) good mechanical contact at electrical connections. In a distributor, air is the dielectric between the rotor and the cap, and the spark can break down that dielectric and cross the gap. If you add another artificial dielectric between the two, the spark may not be able to overcome it.

Same as with dielectric grease. Because you have a (supposedly) good mechanical contact at electrical connections. In a distributor, air is the dielectric between the rotor and the cap, and the spark can break down that dielectric and cross the gap. If you add another artificial dielectric between the two, the spark may not be able to overcome it.
Exactly!!!! Don't put it inside rheostats, carbon pots, mechanical switches, like power window switches or old type 3 or 4 speed fan switches!!! At the plug is OK!!!
:upthumbs
junk!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom