Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

!@#$%^ NAV System

Corvette
2016 C7.R Z06 "ROSA" - black 'Vert w/yellow accent
!@#$%^ NAV System
2008 C6 NAV system - what a piece of !@#&! attempted to see what the NAV system had to say to get me to Jenkintown, PA on Sunday - did the following:

1. Clicked ENTER DESTINATION

2. Clicked ENTER ROAD NAME - provided ALPHABET - so, input YORK ROAD
- immediately listed a number of cities, but NO Jenkintown! WTFO

3. So, I ask to manually enter Jenkintown - NO YORK ROAD FOUND! WTFO!

4. Clicked ENTER ADDRESS NUMBER - so, select SYMBOLS and enter 140 - only thing that comes up is for a road that started with a "V"!!!!!! WTFO

5. Pull out my Garmin Street Pilot and enter all the info and in less than 2 minutes have the route!

ANYONE know how the hell I am supposed to use this *!%#&!@ system!?

Edited per CAC TOS and ROC. -Jane Ann
progress.gif

Rick, I'm sorry you're having issues with your Nav System. I'm not familiar with them so I'm unable to help you with the problem. Hopefully one of our C6 owners more familiar with the product will come along soon to assist.

However, I can assist you by fixing your post so that it is more in line with the CAC Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct. ;)

Good luck with your Nav system.
:wJane Ann

C5Vetter,
I'm sorry to hear of your SatNav system woes, but I encourage you to give the system another try.

I see from your profile information that you're in Maryland, and the address you were seeking was in Pennsylvania. I'd have to go out and check my Nav-System to be sure, but it may be that you didn't re-adjust your Nav system to the correct "geographic zone."

On the SatNav disc you insert to provide route guidance, it has divided the US and Canada into several distinct geographic regions. If the destination you are attempting to get route guidance to is in a different zone than where you are starting out, it will not offer the town you seek. "York Road" is a fairly common name for a street, which means if you were in the wrong geographic zone, it would only offer you towns and cities within your starting zone.

Check to see if you had selected the correct geographic zone before you started entering the address of your destination. This may be a factor in your difficulties. The logic the SatNav system uses can be a little intimidating if you're new to it, but having just used it extensively on a trip from my home in Colorado to Washington state and back (and, yes, I had to change my geographic zone to do this), and I found the system an enormous help.

:w
-Patrick

Patrick,

thanks for your well-though out answer - PA is in the same region MD is in - Region 9, I believe is the correct region - and, yes I did check to make sure I was in the correct region - that is why I am so confused!!!!!

thought it should be as intuitive as my Garmin handheld - dealer has told me to bring the car in, as they are thinking I may not have the most current DVD?????

I know that the 2009 update disc was released in September. I'm on the list to get it, and the GMNavDisc website says it's currently back-ordered.

The only way I can think of that "York Road" would not be listed as a potential street in the Town you had set as your destination (if your home in Maryland and your destination in Pennsylvania are both in the same geographic region) is if York Road is a relatively new street- ie, in a new subdivision. The disc I'm operating on (the 2006 disc) doesn't show several of the streets around here that have been built since 2003- apparently there's a lag time as to when new street info gets sent to the map-makers who create the electronic versions of the street maps. And the lady's voice giving navigation directions doesn't like it at all when you go over a street the system doesn't know is already there. :chuckle

You know, you can also look up a destination by phone number. Have you tried finding it in your NavSystem that way?

-Patrick

Patrick, the York Rd. c5vetter speaks of has been around longer than you and I combined!! :L (I'm from the area.)

I have the Nav system also, although haven't used it to go to another state yet. Maybe your suppose to enter a "state" in the destination info?? ;shrug

Jane Ann - Nice avatar!!! Is that the face I'm gonna get if you have to help me post another pic??? ;LOL

Temporary hijack:

Jane Ann - Nice avatar!!! Is that the face I'm gonna get if you have to help me post another pic??? ;LOL

'course not! It's just time for my Halloween avatar.:D

You know I enjoy helping you with photos, Chris... as long as your Monterey Red C6 is the subject. :thumb

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

:wJane Ann

The Rest of the Story......

turns out it was multiple issues - didn't know there was TWO DVDs and wrong DVD was in the tray - second issue, was system needed to be updated, and finally, the DVD marked #1 that was supposed to be with the car had a huge scratch on it and it couldn't be read! all is well now -

actually used several times "locally" to get me around DC today and worked flawlessly!!!!!

...actually used several times "locally" to get me around DC today and worked flawlessly!!!!!

I love a happy ending! :)

-Patrick

turns out it was multiple issues - didn't know there was TWO DVDs and wrong DVD was in the tray - second issue, was system needed to be updated, and finally, the DVD marked #1 that was supposed to be with the car had a huge scratch on it and it couldn't be read! all is well now -

actually used several times "locally" to get me around DC today and worked flawlessly!!!!!

What was the update that they did. Firmware upgrade to unit or new disks? I have an 08 that doesn't have streets in my subdivision. I checked, they say it is the right one (for the 08 car) and I have to pay $199 if I want the 09 version. I really don't like the system, but if it was accurate, I could live with it. A friend simply took it out, and threw it away. Put in another model. Hate to spend the bucks, but for $1,750 seems like GM would give us a good, up to date unit.:W

c5vetter:

Had the same problem this last weekend on returning from Eureka Springs. Set navigation
to home and it appeared to send us on the scenic route. It would have taken a navigator
to find the roads it picked. I stopped several times looking at signs, but just kept going. It probably took at least 2 hours longer to get home. The unit is pretty frustrating. Also,
have new disk and used correct zone. I couldn't even find the route I took on an atlas.
Probably will use a map the next time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom