Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

NCRS...a more complete and thorough judging for Flight Judging

early shark

Corvette
2 1971 LS6 coupes, M22, 3:70 & M22, 3:36
I've been through the flight judging process with my car. It has been through the chapter, regional, and national levels. This has been achieved at different times, even 10 years apart. Top Flighted every time.

I believe a lot of members, as well as the general Corvette enthusiast place a high importance on this award (achievement). The NCRS organization continues to make important strides in revising the TIM & JG manuals, however I believe it's time to elevate the flight judging to include the all important part of the drivetrain that is not included in its current judging configuration. I feel that the transmission and rear end assembly that are date coded and stamped with the drivetrain information should be included in the judging format.

I understand that it is difficult to reach and see, however we are doing this for Bow Tie judging. I believe this would give much more credibility to the Flight Certificates, as to a more complete type of judging criteria.

I understand it is not reasonable to be able to judge every component of these cars, however I feel that the major drivetrain components are essential to the Corvettes overall appeal as a High Performance image.

As an example, we worry about the correctness of an original L-88 engine, but why not the importance of the HD M22 transmission or the proper coded rear ends for such a drivetrain combination?

I think it's time for these items to be included in flight judging.

I don't disagree, but the problem with that is access - you can't get to either one to see the exact configuration, casting dates and stampings with the car on the ground, and VERY few meets other than the National (for Bowtie judging) have donated lifts set up to examine underbody and chassis components. I ran the National Convention in Windsor last summer, and was fortunate enough to be able to convince a local lift manufacturer to bring three lifts over from the Detroit area and set them up as an event sponsor. I was part of the Bowtie team at the Monterey and Hershey Nationals, and there were NO lifts there - we had to jack them up on jackstands for underbody judging, as we have always had to do in the past. It would also require more time and more judges, as no other teams could judge any other part of the car while the car was up in the air.
:beer

I would like to see the internal content of the engine judged for authenticity but it would be impossible to do I guess. How do you know if the engine was built to original standards or if pistons, valves and rods are from China? Might be a lot of stuff like that out there inside original blocks!

Greg

Greg -

Flight Judging isn't about "originality" - it's about whether the car appears to meet the judging standard (how it looked when delivered). "Originality" judging is a whole different area, which is covered by the NCRS "Star/Bowtie" judging program, which considers ONLY absolute, untouched, unmolested genuine original parts - there is no consideration for "condition" at all in "Star/Bowtie" judging.

The NCRS "Corvette Judging Reference Manual" is a useful publication that every member should have - it explains all the judging categories and processes in detail, and all the award requirements and standards. It's available at the NCRS store (www.ncrs.org).

I am planning on attending NCRS in Aug. Has anyone had any experance in observer judge? Appreciate your inputs..
Aloha Rich

do it - OJ is a great way to get to know your own car!

Driver 61 said:
I am planning on attending NCRS in Aug. Has anyone had any experance in observer judge? Appreciate your inputs..
Aloha Rich

Observer Judging is where most of us started in our long trek to Master Judge; you'll get judging points for it, and it's the best way to learn the judging process. Let the National Team Leader for the judging class you're interested in (contact info is on the inside cover of the "Restorer" magazine) know you're interested ahead of time so he can put you on his list, then connect with him when you arrive in San Antonio. You'll be better-prepared to O.J. if you have prior knowledge of the TM&JG for your class and have read the "Corvette Judging Reference Manual". You'll enjoy it!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom