Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

NCRS club (good or bad for the corvette enthusiast)

A

acdcsngr

Having dealings with the NCRS quite a bit, I was just looking for some feedback from the enthusiasts on this forum, whether the general thoughts about the NCRS are good or bad. I am just wondering what everybody thought. Thanks

I think you're a smart man for asking that question here and not on 'that other' website. Unless you like bashing.:W

If you're interested in preserving or restoring Corvettes to factory original appearance, there's no better club in existence.

Member #29001.
Charter member, Quebec Chapter.

Vettehead Mikey you are correct if you are going to restore a Corvette back to all original condition. If you are just going to buy a driver or restore a Corvette to driver condition then you will catch flack from NCRS Members telling you that the only way to restore a Corvette is to make it all original. I feel that it is up to the owner as to how they want to have there Corvette, Original or a Driver or Resto rod. Not everyone can afford to restore a Corvette to original condition. It is up to the owner. There is my $0.05 worth :upthumbs

Vettehead Mikey you are correct if you are going to restore a Corvette back to all original condition. If you are just going to buy a driver or restore a Corvette to driver condition then you will catch flack from NCRS Members telling you that the only way to restore a Corvette is to make it all original.

I see this comment all the time especially on 'that other' site, but I've been going to chapter, regional and national meets for 13 years all over Canada and the US and never once has anyone directed such comments to me regarding my non-stock road weary driver. I have never heard any such cr*p directed towards other owners either. The vast majority of cars owned by members are in fact 'drivers' so that would be the pot calling the kettle black.

The only occasions where I have had people nit-pick my car has been by 'posers' at show and shines etc. I usually ask a few key question about the NCRS, amazingly these clowns never know the answers. :rotfl

Aside from those who want to play the factory correct game, I believe the existence of NCRS improves both access and quality of aftermarket parts for older Vettes... and that benefits every enthusiast.. :)

-Mac

Been a member since 1981 and none of the 4 solid axle Corvettes I've owned were NCRS correct. I've seen and heard pretty much the whole 9 yards from the whining to the gnashing of teeth to the pats on the back - and none of it directed towards my 57, of which I'm the 2nd owner. (I will admit that the original owner of my 57 got a cool reception - OK, very cold - when he brought his car to the NCRS Cypress Gardens meet in one of the early years, but got a much warmer reception when I asked him back in 1987.)

Like any organization, there are a handful of people who do the work and a whole lotta people who do nothing but gripe about that handful. I've been nearly every officer in the NCRS FL chapter (currently Treasurer) as well as done every job for the Winter Regional committee except judging chair and meet chair for over 25 years. Overall, it's a good organization that has managed to document an enormous amount of information for anyone interested.

I drive my 57 to NCRS events regularly and rarely hear anything negative. It is more often "when are you going to restore it?" My answer always is, "never, its a driver".

The NCRS supports the Corvette Hobby and that's good.

They provide a service to the hobby that brings like minded people together. I'm all for that.

I appreciate the record keeping they do on the older Corvettes.

Btw, I'm not a member of the NCRS.

I guess I'm on my own in thinking that it is a waste of time to make a car fake factory correct. I will give an example of my dealings. My 67 427 vette is 100% factory original with only 3200 original miles. I know that these are original miles, because I bought the car new!!!!! I had the car judged, and I got a deduction for my door jams being too shiny. How can the door jams be too shiny when the paint is 100% factory original? I was also deducted for lack of overspray in the engine compartment. How the F___ can this happen? My car is 100% "factory original" as the NCRS would state, but I only get a 2nd flight award, when the car next to me gets a top flight, and it was totally restored. I appreciate what the NCRS does for the hobby, but I will not be renewing my membership.:beer

I guess I'm on my own in thinking that it is a waste of time to make a car fake factory correct. I will give an example of my dealings. My 67 427 vette is 100% factory original with only 3200 original miles. I know that these are original miles, because I bought the car new!!!!! I had the car judged, and I got a deduction for my door jams being too shiny. How can the door jams be too shiny when the paint is 100% factory original? I was also deducted for lack of overspray in the engine compartment. How the F___ can this happen? My car is 100% "factory original" as the NCRS would state, but I only get a 2nd flight award, when the car next to me gets a top flight, and it was totally restored. I appreciate what the NCRS does for the hobby, but I will not be renewing my membership.:beer

How did you get your car judged when you're not an NCRS member (that's what your profile says) ?

:beer

John, his last sentence says (I appreciate what the NCRS does for the hobby, but I will not be renewing my membership.) So he must belong or did belong but is not or did not renew his membership.

Well you are never going to please all the people all the time, weather it be NCRS Club or your local Corvette Club. You just do the best you can and go on.

You will find that a large number of members, even the most active and best known, have drivers and even resto mods along with their Flight cars. The vast majority are just good ole' Corvette people.

Tom

You will find that a large number of members, even the most active and best known, have drivers and even resto mods along with their Flight cars. The vast majority are just good ole' Corvette people.

Tom

Couldn't agree more Tom. Sure there are a few a-holes in the bunch, but there are in every crowd in every walk of life. Like a former boss once said 'everyone who stereotypes is an idiot' :rotfl

As an afterthought- to address the post by gentleman above who had his untouched original '67 Flight Judged and was disappointed, it's most likely that his car received some serious deductions in 'condition' rather than 'originality'. This class of judging expects that the car would look like it rolled off the dealer's showroom yesterday, not 43 years ago with the accompanying wear and tear. Cars that are truly 'survivors' to borrow a term from Bloomington, would be better off the the Star/Bowtie program where condition is almost irrelevant.

A driver is not a car that's unworthy. It's a car that you can jump in and drive any time you want and not the one you have spent hundreds of hours show detailing and will be taking to events for Flight judging. A driver is quite often an extremely nice car and in many cases one that was used for flight judging at one time. I know of several cars that once they were awarded the top awards, their show life was over. Then the owner began driving and enjoying it on a regular basis.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom