Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

NCRS club (good or bad for the corvette enthusiast)

I considered my car a driver the day I bought it. It was in great shape but needed work to get it to Top Flight. The person I bought the car from was a restorer who painted the car in BC/CC and used the car as a driver. I did interior and engine compartment upgrades including removing undercoating from the car. In June 07, the car got a Top Flight and I continue to make minor corrections to the car but I drive this car as much as possible during the Michigan driving season. I bought this car for several reasons, 1. it's condition 2. it's originality but the main reason was the desire to drive and enjoy owning a classic Corvette. Getting a Top Flight was a plus.
Rick

Been a member since 1995. There are aspects that I like and there are aspects I do not like. It's an organization that serves the hobby and itself. I'll continue to be a member as long as it exists.

NCRS-good or bad for the enthusiast

I have been a member for ten years plus, and have had a car judged twice. In my experience, the members are nice folks who love Corvettes, and the organization does a lot to advance the hobby of owning and driving old Vettes. The one legitimate criticism of the organization-in my view- is that the judging is not 100% objective. The problem is that no matter how hard you try, you can't take the human element out of the mix. Knowledgeable people, acting in good faith, can see a steering wheel, cigarette lighter, radiator shroud, whatever, differently both as to originality and condition. The problem exists with any activity that is judged, from basketball games to dog shows.

I have been a member of NCRS for over 20 years.

NCRS is an organization of Corvette enthusiasts, some of whom participate in various ways in judging and some do not. The intent is to preserve Corvettes as the factory produced them. Most members do not get their cars judged.

A key point, NCRS judges are volunteers. Those who are interested in judging participate in judging classes every year, sometimes several times a year. The classes are intended to teach methods that tend to produce similar results regardless of who is judging. That varies with experience and with individuals but overall results are surprisingly consistent. In find detail one judge may deduct a point where another one doesn't but the total score from one event to another are pretty consistent with different judges. This is especially true at Regional and National events where the most experienced judges are.

Part of judging class and before the start of each judging day, the chief judge talks to all the judges. One thing they always say is to be courteous, non-confrontational and explain all deductions.

Are there some judges who don't meet those standards, probably, but most do.

Are there other people around NCRS events that don't meet those standards, yes, but most do.

Please don't judge everyone in NCRS because you had the bad luck to run into the jerks in the crowd, they are not typical.

I guess I'm on my own in thinking that it is a waste of time to make a car fake factory correct. I will give an example of my dealings. My 67 427 vette is 100% factory original with only 3200 original miles. I know that these are original miles, because I bought the car new!!!!! I had the car judged, and I got a deduction for my door jams being too shiny. How can the door jams be too shiny when the paint is 100% factory original? I was also deducted for lack of overspray in the engine compartment. How the F___ can this happen? My car is 100% "factory original" as the NCRS would state, but I only get a 2nd flight award, when the car next to me gets a top flight, and it was totally restored. I appreciate what the NCRS does for the hobby, but I will not be renewing my membership.:beer

Where and when did you get it judged? I see you are from Huntington Beach, CA. I know the town as it is about 65 miles from my home.

I started the NCRS SO. CAL Chapter in 1981, and we are far from perfect, but I am sorry, I just don't remember your car ever being judged here in So. Cal. And with only 3200 miles on a black 67 big block 427 I think I would have at least heard of the car. I don't attend every single event however, so I would be very happy to meet you and help you get any mistakes corrected. We are a volunteer group, not professional "judges", and mistakes are made.

Since 1978 when I joined the National, I have made lasting lifetime friendships and seen more Corvettes and USA geography than anyone can imagine. And why ? Love of the car and the time they were created. To this day, there is no better "stress relief " than getting in a 57 fuelie and taking it for a drive.....or was it a 65 fuelie......a 67 big block 435......you get the idea. Let's see if I can help you have some "FUN". Call me at 909-794-7905. Happy to visit.

JIM GESSNER
NCRS #943

I've been an NCRS member for a few years now. That being said, I will still go through my spare parts drawers before I would actually spend big bucks to get the "right" screw that was original to the car. That's just me, though. I still love to scroll through the Driveline mag to check stuff out. I haven't seen the ad for the $20,000.00 fuel tank lately, though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom