Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

NCRS Grading Scale

W

wwilkins

Does anyone know how the ncrs determines what grade your car fits in? I heard about grade 1 and 2 cars, but I can't find a grading scale or explanation anywhere.

At the moment mine is somewhere between a pile of parts dumped in the loose shape of a corvette and a really cool driver. I still have some missing stuff but everything that is on it works now which is a big improvement from having to be winched on a trailer to get it home the first day.

Try ncrs.org, look for the judging manual. I believe that would give you an indication of where your car stands...

wwilkins said:
Does anyone know how the ncrs determines what grade your car fits in? I heard about grade 1 and 2 cars, but I can't find a grading scale or explanation anywhere.

NCRS rates cars on a 3 tier scale: Top Flight (94% or better), Second Flight (85-93%) or Third Flight (75-84%). The percentage is based on a judgement of the originality and condition of all the component pieces in the opinion of the judges at hand. The total "raw" score is something like 4500 possible points.

In addition, there are also special awards/ratings for unrestored cars, cars with racing history, performance verification, and a couple more.

If you are interested in heading down this path, the best thing to do (after you've stopped at NCRS.ORG as tonyk72 suggested) is to get yourself one of their judging manuals for your car. You can get them from NCRS directly or through most any of the Corvette parts houses out there. I'd also suggest joining one of your local chapters. Chapter judging is alot lower pressure than regional or national judging, and is a great way to get started.

Here's a link to the NCRS UK Chapter - http://www.ncrs.co.uk/

In addition to the thrill and challenge of getting your own car judged, I encourage you to get in there yourself. Sign up as an Observer Judge at the next meet on that side of the pond. You will be amazed by the wealth of knowledge these guys have and you will learn more about your car than you could have ever imagined.

I know it's a long drive:L (okay, flight) but we'd love to have you at the 2003 NCRS National Convention!

Thanks for the help. I am the only Yank in my local american car club and I just joined the Corvette Club UK. When I get back to the states I plan on being a NCRS member. I don't know that I want to make it my car an exact factory restoration but the things that can be put right should be. I heard stories of guys who chased all over the world looking for bolts with special markings. I'll be happy with the proper grade of hardware and the right parts.

wwilkins said:
I don't know that I want to make it my car an exact factory restoration but the things that can be put right should be. I heard stories of guys who chased all over the world looking for bolts with special markings. I'll be happy with the proper grade of hardware and the right parts.

That's the right perspective to have. The NCRS scares lots of Corvette people off because of that same impression. As with any organization, you will find extremists (maybe even more with NCRS than others), but my philosophy is that the more information the better. I can decide what I want to do with it on my car. For the most part, they're just Corvette people. I've yet to meet anyone in NCRS who looked down their nose at me because of the gas shocks, chrome engine accents, or even the Porsche Guards Red paint on my '63.

If you go to the NCRS site ( www.ncrs.org ), and click on "Contacts", you can find the contact information for the U.K. Chapter - they're very active, and can help you with your project.

:beer

Others have described it well. Top, second or third flight based on a point system. The car is compared to an "as delivered" car. You lose points based on originality and conditionl It is really a fun thing to do to have your car judeged and you will be surprised at how much you learn. Join the organization, spend a few bucks on the appropriate judging materials and then begin having fun
Gary

Thanks for all the help guys. I talked to the UK NCRS guys and they will let me join. They even promised not to tease me because of my accent. I am going to attend the judging workshops to see what I can learn. I don't think I will make to Hershey but you guys all think of me.

Bill

OK, I just got my Judging Manual...I haven't read it cover to cover so I might be missing something, but I can't see how I could figure out how many points to deduct for certain items...It all seems to be based on percentages. For example deduct 100% for originality based on incorrect paint color. Or deduct 50% for incorrect paint finish. OK, what does that tell me? Deduct 100% or 50% from what???

tonyk72 said:
OK, I just got my Judging Manual...I haven't read it cover to cover so I might be missing something, but I can't see how I could figure out how many points to deduct for certain items...It all seems to be based on percentages. For example deduct 100% for originality based on incorrect paint color. Or deduct 50% for incorrect paint finish. OK, what does that tell me? Deduct 100% or 50% from what???

That's the part that is more art than science. You'll find that some of the sections will have guidelines (e.g. I think you'll find something in the battery section for guidelines on what to deduct for a correct Delco replacement vs. an aftermarket battery), but for the most part it is up to the judges. They make a judgement call on how incorrect or how good/poor the condition is, and determine how that translates to deducted points.

This is also a great reason to have your car judged more than once before making any drastic changes. You will find that opinions can sometimes vary widely. For example, at a chapter judging meet the master cylinder on my '69 was judged to be incorrect and took a full deduction. At the regional meet the judges thought that there was enough weird stuff going on at the plant in '69 (because of the strike) that it just might be right, so they deducted nothing. The interesting part of that story was that the judge who did the full deduct at the chapter meet was also one of the judges at the regional. That judge still wanted to take a full deduct at the regional, but the other judge talked him out of it. :)

You need two more things to "pre-judge" your own car; 1) A set of the judging sheets for your year car, which your local Chapter Judging Chairman can get for you (or you can get a set from Roy Sinor, the National Judging Chairman, rsinor@geotec.net), and 2) The NCRS Judging Reference Manual, which you can order from the NCRS on-line Store at www.ncrs.org.

The Judging Sheets will show you exactly how many points (Originality and Condition) are allocated to each individual item on the car, and the Judging Reference Manual explains all about the judging procedure, standards, the scoring system, and shows the "standard deductions" for replacement parts based on how much they deviate from the original parts (tires, batteries, stainless parts that weren't that way originally, etc.).
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom