Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need a light bulb number

John Robinson

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1993 Polo Green Coupe
On my 93 the left side orange courtesy light is burned out. When I open the door the white light is ok but when I put the lights on the bulb that puts an orange glow on the door handle does not work. I have looked in the service manual but can not find the bulb number. I have been told that it may be a number 356 which is only available at the dealer. What I need is to be sure of the bulb number before I go to the dealer. My dealer here if you order it and it is wrong you own it. Perhaps somebody knows of a source for this bulb outside of the dealer. :confused

On my 93 the left side orange courtesy light is burned out. When I open the door the white light is ok but when I put the lights on the bulb that puts an orange glow on the door handle does not work. I have looked in the service manual but can not find the bulb number. I have been told that it may be a number 356 which is only available at the dealer. What I need is to be sure of the bulb number before I go to the dealer. My dealer here if you order it and it is wrong you own it. Perhaps somebody knows of a source for this bulb outside of the dealer. :confused
Wagner # 211-2 without metal caps,#212-2 with metal caps, I get them at the parts store!!:upthumbs

is that the bulb that looks like a mini mag-light bulb?

is that the bulb that looks like a mini mag-light bulb?
No it's the one that looks like a 1 1/2 inch long cylinder with a metal cap on each end!!! Purdy standard GM dome lamp bulb!!:upthumbs

The orange light strip lens is above that bulb. It has a little bulb like the one i discribed. I looked on my microfich and can't find it any where .:ugh

The orange light strip lens is above that bulb. It has a little bulb like the one i discribed. I looked on my microfich and can't find it any where .:ugh
That might be a Sylvania 64 or 74 I think 64 is about 1/8 inch smaller than the 74!! They look like a smaller sidemarker 194 is that them??

It looks like this one

Is this the right one John?

SoLow I think your picture is what I am looking for but I thought I would post a couple of pictures. As near as I can tell the bulb and socket are all one unit.

346693760_524cf3c161.jpg
346693757_3076a2e7c1.jpg
[I should have done this with my first post.:W

"As near as I can tell the bulb and socket are all one unit"

I don't know the answer to that but if you take the gray clip off, there is 2 metal clips that are attached to the bulb. Otherwise you would have to splice the gray and black wire. I don't know.:confused If you find out...let us know.

Ed

Today I went to the Chevy Dealer and he could not identify the bulb. He sent me to a parts store and they sent me to a local garage that I had not heard of before.

Turns out this local garage has specilized in corvette work for years. The owner looked at the bulb and said he had never replaced one of these before. He is checking it out and said he would get back to me Mon with the bulb. I will keep you posted on what I find out.:crazy

How many CAC members to Change a Light bulb?? (A) 3 ;) Guy's, Just pull the bulb striate out of the Socket and replace it with a #74 bulb usually comes in a 2 pack at most any Auto part's Store!! Advance, Rose,Auto Zone,Parts Plus.......... I pay $1.69 for 2 Sylvania #74 's at Advance!!:upthumbs

Found the bulb

I was able to locate the bulb and socket. It is a discontinued item and would cost me $70.00. Plan B is to see in I can find a twist lock socket that will fit the housing. My hope is to be able to put in a replaceable socket and bulb. I also have been told of a Corvette salvage yard not to far away so I plan to take a drive and see if they have a bulb and socket. I planned to do this update earlier but my hard drive blew up. I am sending this on a friends computer.

Surely the bulb alone is replaceable. I know AutoZone, NAPA, Advanced Auto Parts, PepBoys, O'Reilly's--all these places have those bulbs. Yeah, the entire unit is a high-dollar item (Vette parts, what can you say?) Anyway, that bulb was put in, so it can be taken out and replaced. From your pixs, the socket looks good. Just grasp that 'lil f***er and pull it out. :w

I fixed the light

Sorry for taking so long to finish this post. Had my computer fry the hard drive and I am just getting things back.

Today I wrapped the bulb in tape so I could get a good hold on it. Sure enough it came out. All this time I thought it was a molded unit:eyerole Several of you said it should. I now have the replacement in and it works fine. I used a number 73 bulb. :L I want to thank all of you for your input without it I would have blindly gone down the path of replaceing the whole unit instead of just the bulb. :duh

Aaaaah!!! Life's simple pleasures. Glad you got'er done! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom