Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need a manual for my 82.

S

Saltydog

Can someone advise me on a good manual for my 82. I bought a haynes manual and found out more info about my car by looking at it than I got out of that manual. I took it back to the store. The car has so many parts and components. I would like to know what I am looking at when see a part on my car that I dont know what it is.

Is there a good book on the 82 out there.
Thanks for a reply
Saltydog.

You could get the Shop Manual for you '82.

But what I'm doing is ordering Chilton's for 63 - 82 Corvettes I think. That should help for maintainance/repair. But I don't have it yet. Any suggestions?

There are several kinds of Service Manuals on Ebay. Some of them look pretty worn out though. You might get a good deal on one of these!

Bill

Ebay man!

Do a search. Then save that search to your favorites. And set it to email you whenever there are items that match what you are looking for get listed.

Such as:

I have a favorites search set for Corvette C4 1996. It emails me every few days with current listings of specific vette stuff.
That way I find the BUY IT NOW before the auction gets too old and the item gets sold to someone else.

Handy when you are trying to find specific stuff!

good luck
rain

Thanks guys for your replies. All of them sound like good advice.
Saltydog

You can also go the Ecklers route but I agree as above. E-Bay has the GM manuals all the time at a great price.

Carlo

I picked up the 1982 Repair Manual on Ebay and it's worth every penny. (About 20.00 for real). Make sure you get the "1982 Corvette Manual".:beer

Do you guys suggest Chilton's repair manual for 63 - 82 Corvettes? This is what I'm thinking of going with.

Get the ASSEMBLY MANUAL for the 82. It is the ONLY book to buy if you want to know what you're "looking at". It's not a repair manual, that is, it won't describe how to fix something, but it pictorally shows you where everything belongs--and in what order. And includes part numbers. Even if you wind up buying another Service Manual, you NEED this! Loose-leaf, just put it in a binder, so you can take out pages as you need them. $20 bucks or so at Ecklers, MA, Corvette Central, etc.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Stallion, I have tried to use Chilton's before; but, I found it lacking. What worked for me was a combination of several items: an assembly manual so you can tell where the fasteners are and how the part actually goes together; a Hayne's manual, however, it covers all vettes from 68-82 so there is quite a bit general stuff in there; and also a 78 GM manual. It also covers several cars but there is vette specific stuff in there. There is also an electrical manual that is specific to 78s as well.

The haynes manual has many pictures which is beneficial at times.

The assembly treats some items as a single assembly, such as the engine, so you may have to experiment and do drawings or pictures as you disassemble things.

The GM manual assumes you are a mechanic.

There is my 10c worth.

I agree, I use several different manuals. The Assembly Manual is the most useful for illustrating taking apart and putting back together. But for diagnosing, you cannot beat the GM Service Manual. I also have the Chiltons, but it is very generalized and covers all the years from 1963-1982, so if there is something that is unique to your year, it may not even mention it. Haynes is really good for wiring and vaccum hose diagnosing. I think for a complete picture of how and why your car operates, you need several different manuals. Just my .02

Bill

I see what you mean. I'm going to get Chilton's first, then the Assembly manual. With time, I'll get a nice little collection going. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom