Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need absolute final word on part # 1995 ABS EBTCM Pump

Corvette95

Corvette
89 Conv,another 89 Conv,96 coupe,95 coupe,95 ZR1,
1995 Factory service manual is wrong - shows old design (pre-94), 1996 manual correct. Some GM dealers swear the 1995 is a stand alone pump as is the 96 pump. I know the LT5 (mine is LT1) is completely different. How can I get final word on correct part number for ABS pump for 1995? I have a code issue and have changed the pump 3 times (along with everything else is could be) so I am now back to EBTCM again.

I must make a couple of corrections, pertaining to your article. Firstly the racing car to which you refer, is a 'Ferguson' and far from being obscure, it is the only Formula 1 car, to win using four wheel drive. Sir Harry Fergusson also invented anti-lock brakes, initially used in commercial aircraft. At the time he was better know in the UK, as part of the Massey-Fergusson Tractor and Farm Equipment company.

The Ferguson P99 may have won one F1 race, but the car and it's race effort were, indeed, obscure. It was raced several times in 1961, 62 and '63. It's only victory was at Oulton Park in a Gold Cup race–which was a non-championship event which generally conformed to F1 rules–and the only reason it won was the track was wet...the one situation where the obsolete and heavy, front-engine Ferguson P99 had an advantage. While it was driven by the likes of Sterling Moss and Graham Hill in some championship events, it never truly won an F1 race...if we consider "F1 races" those which are in the Formula One Championship.

I stand by my statement that the P99 was..."an obscure British Formula 1 race car."

As for Harry Ferguson inventing antilock brakes, my research could not confirm that. My research seems to indicate that Dunlop developed the first commercially successful anti-skid braking systems for aircraft. The Dunlop Maxaret system was first used on British military aircraft, such as the Handley-Page Victor and the English Electric Lightning. Maxaret was later adapted to road cars. I'm sorry but I could not find a connection between Harry Ferguson, Dunlop and the Maxaret development.

The Ferguson P99 may have won one F1 race, but the car and it's race effort were, indeed, obscure. It was raced several times in 1961, 62 and '63. It's only victory was at Oulton Park in a Gold Cup race–which was a non-championship event which generally conformed to F1 rules–and the only reason it won was the track was wet...the one situation where the obsolete and heavy, front-engine Ferguson P99 had an advantage. While it was driven by the likes of Sterling Moss and Graham Hill in some championship events, it never truly won an F1 race...if we consider "F1 races" those which are in the Formula One Championship.

I stand by my statement that the P99 was..."an obscure British Formula 1 race car."

As for Harry Ferguson inventing antilock brakes, my research could not confirm that. My research seems to indicate that Dunlop developed the first commercially successful anti-skid braking systems for aircraft. The Dunlop Maxaret system was first used on British military aircraft, such as the Handley-Page Victor and the English Electric Lightning. Maxaret was later adapted to road cars. I'm sorry but I could not find a connection between Harry Ferguson, Dunlop and the Maxaret development.

The reason the car 'never truly won an F1 race', was that following its win, on its first time out and a second, only denied by a black flag, was because, seeing its potential, the governing body banned 4 wheel drive from formular 1. The car was way ahead of its time and, lead to similar drive systems being used, particularly in rallying, notably in the Audi Quattro, which was also banned,for the same reasons. The car also sported anti skid brakes, installed by Sir Harry Ferguson, for speed testing, not invented by him (my slip). To win a Formula 1 race, on its first time out, is I believe, a feat not accomplished by any other marque. Featuring 4 wheel drive and, to my knowledge, for the first time, in a car, Dunlop Maxaret anti skid brakes, make this car any thing but obscure.

1995 Factory service manual is wrong - shows old design (pre-94), 1996 manual correct. Some GM dealers swear the 1995 is a stand alone pump as is the 96 pump. I know the LT5 (mine is LT1) is completely different. How can I get final word on correct part number for ABS pump for 1995? I have a code issue and have changed the pump 3 times (along with everything else is could be) so I am now back to EBTCM again.

HI there,

The most conclusive way to determine what your correct part number is to PM me your VIN and I can give you the EXACT part number for your vehicle.

THE VIN is the ONLY way to accurately nail down parts correctly.

Allthebest, Paul

All my problems were traced down to 95 and 96 having different part numbers and programming and not being compatable. OBD1 vs OBD2 . Fit is identical - compatibility is NOT!

"Corvette95" is correct.

The PNs are different because of the calibration but the hardware is the same.

I incorrectly stated the two EBTCMs were the same.

I apologize for the confusion.

My parts CD shows the 95 part number is unique to that model year, it is 12521972, hope that helps.

lThe '95 base and '96 EBTCMs carry different part numbers because, as "Corvette95" discovered, the controller calibrations are different.

The EBTCMs for those two applications are actually a single unit consisting of the modulator valve and the controller which are attached.

The modulator may be the same for both applicatons but the controllers have different calibrations. The two were never supplied separately.

It is possible that the modulator valves might interchange, but I suppose only the few rebuilders in that market would know.

The 95 and 96 ebtcm pump is one unit pump and computer controller, BUT they do come apart, I image in a pinch you could use a 96 pump take it apart and use the 95 computer after you attach it to the pump. I bet I spent over $2500 in parts . labor , towing , and outside help to finally trace down the problem. Also the 95 service manual in dead WRONG on the ebtcm, it shows and used diagnostic tree for 94 pump which is totally different, also leading to part of my confusion. The 96 manual is correct for 95 diagnostics

Hey All,

This is one of the most informative threads on the EBTCM i've seen.

I'm looking for a replacement EBTCM for my '96 GS.

2 Questions: Will an EBTCM from a 95 (non ZR-1) work?
and what is the correct part number a 96 module?

Thanks,
Tony

The 95 and 96 ebtcm pump is one unit pump and computer controller, BUT they do come apart, I image in a pinch you could use a 96 pump take it apart and use the 95 computer after you attach it to the pump. I bet I spent over $2500 in parts . labor , towing , and outside help to finally trace down the problem. Also the 95 service manual in dead WRONG on the ebtcm, it shows and used diagnostic tree for 94 pump which is totally different, also leading to part of my confusion. The 96 manual is correct for 95 diagnostics

In the 95 FSM, Sec 5E2 for VIN P, do you know what pages have the wrong info on them?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom