Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Need assistance HELP..

Yoda

Administrator
Corvette
1981 UL5
I will try to keep this as short as possible ;)

A long time buddy of mine and his wife left North Platte, NE about a week ago in their 1999 Red Coupe to attended "Vettes in the Rockies".

From there they planned a nice cruise home... Up to Vancouver, then down the coast on Hwy 1. Across to Fresno (actually Visalia, CA) to visit an old Army pal.

Then over to Reno, then down to Sun City, AZ then over to Amarillo for a couple days then back up to North Platte.

Ok that was / is the itinerary. When they got to Vancouver Monday they noticed a lot of water on the passengers side under the seat.

I found several threads here about this issue and called and forward the threads to my buddy. Well he called this morning and said the Chevy Dealer there said the bottom of the "udder" was missing and wanted a $1,000 to replace it :eek said the dash needed to be removed and yadda, yadda, yadda...

My buddy left Vancouver without the fix and not wanting to run his airconditioner :W. Now remember his intierary... :W

I sent him an email this afternoon after finding This Link .. Now my questions :D
  • Is the "Udder" or the "L" shaped drain plug the cause of the Leak ??
  • IF the bottom half of the "Udder" is actually missing would that cause the water in the passengers compartment??

Then the biggie... anyone recommend a Chevrolet Garage or Corvette Shop in Fresno, Bakersfield.... Reno, or near Sun City AZ..

Thanks

Bud
:w

Almost forgot... They should be in and around Fresno/Bakersfield/Visalia sometime Thursday or so, Reno maybe Friday or Saturday and Sun City Saturday or Sunday and Amarillo Wedensday.. We have a really good Corvette Mech at one of our Chevrolet Dealers here in Amarillo. I plan to go over tomorrow and talk to him.. If my buddy hasn't gotten his 1999 fixed by the time he gets here, I'm hoping the local dealer can fix him up :dance

The term "udder"....WTF!?

My guess is what's happened is that the drain system that gets the water that condenses off the hvac evaporator core out of its housing is plugged.

The evaporator housing is filling with water which then drains out of the hvac ducts or evaporator housing seams that are not watertight.

If you follow all the links from thread to thread on the CAC then over to the CF and finally to the diagrams of where the hose is located, you can explain the procedure to your buddy and he can get it fixed.

If he can't get it fixed quickly, have him stop at a Wal-Mart or a Target and buy a couple of big bath towels. Stick one of them up under the dash to catch and absorb the water before it drains into the electronics bay that is under the passenger side toe board.

The term "udder"....WTF!?

My guess is what's happened is that the drain system that gets the water that condenses off the hvac evaporator core out of its housing is plugged.

The evaporator housing is filling with water which then drains out of the hvac ducts or evaporator housing seams that are not watertight.

If you follow all the links from thread to thread on the CAC then over to the CF and finally to the diagrams of where the hose is located, you can explain the procedure to your buddy and he can get it fixed.

If he can't get it fixed quickly, have him stop at a Wal-Mart or a Target and buy a couple of big bath towels. Stick one of them up under the dash to catch and absorb the water before it drains into the electronics bay that is under the passenger side toe board.

iagree.gif iagree.gif iagree.gif

My guess is they just couldn't see it to clean it!:thumb
It's kinda hidden and hard to see,but I'd bet it's there! :thumb

:beer

After reading the threads, It sure sounds like that is what the problem is, Bud. Looks like it should be an easy fix.

Spring is usually udder cleaning time. Get the autumn leaves and such out of them.

Though I can't help with advice on the fix (and it seems you're getting plenty from folks more knowledgeable than me anyway Yoda) I thought I'd post this link from a few years ago in which "Corvette udders" were discussed in detail and even a few pix were provided.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...731-corvette-udders-anyone-have-pictures.html

Sounds like you need to make your buddy a Road Warrior trophy. ;)

:wJane Ann

:thumb Thanks for the response's :thumb

I copied Hib's post and sent it to my buddy, I'll give him a call this morning to make sure he see the urgency of protecting the electronics... :eek

Bud

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom