Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Good Cover to Transport on Trailer

Red69

Corvette
1969 coupe
I need to have my 69 transported on an open trailer 1200 miles on the interstate. A mover will be doing it and it will be insured for the move, but need a quality cover. The body off is complete but not painted in anticipation of this move. I would appreciate a recommendation on a quality cover for this purpose and any tips from experience. Thanks!

You don't want to put a cover of any kind on a car being trailered. There is no way to keep a cover tight enough to avoid it flapping in the breeze and damaging the body surface, not to mention what would happen if dirt got trapped between the cover and the body and got 'ground in' by the cover moving around.

Vettehead Mikey said:
You don't want to put a cover of any kind on a car being trailered. There is no way to keep a cover tight enough to avoid it flapping in the breeze and damaging the body surface, not to mention what would happen if dirt got trapped between the cover and the body and got 'ground in' by the cover moving around.
He's right. You don't want to use a cover. :beer

With all due respect to Mikey, I would respectfully suggest that more information is needed before a definitive reply can be made.

Red, you say the body-off is complete, but it it bare, unprotected fiberglass? Are the windows in the vehicle?

Mikey is absolutely correct, that oftentimes, covers can do more harm than good by causing damage, wear or rub-marks from the strong winds. But if you don't have your glass in place, or if the fiberglass is unprotected by primer or other finish/sealer I would think some kind of protection is warranted.

I've found that the difference between enclosed and open trailers is frequently only a few hundred dollars - - half of which you'd chew up with a cover that will probably get trashed in the process on an open carrier.

CQRT in AZ

Thanks for the replies. The car is down to bare fiberglass with windshield and side glass installed. I have not installed the t-top stainless or rear glass and t-tops can't be instaled at this time. These omissions were intentional for the paint to come. I wouldn't be concerned with the cover if I was guaranteed no rain in transit. The vg original seats, console and door panels are in place for moving. I am somewhat concerned about the glass but everything will be insured. An enclosed trailer is available for an additional $1200 which seems a bit much for an unfinished car. My thoughts were to cover it, maybe wrap the cover tight to the body with duct tape and send it down the road. I have no experience with this kind of move. Keep the suggestions coming, I have until the 26th.

Painted or unpainted makes no difference - you do NOT want a cover on an open-trailered car; the flapping of the cover will beat hell out of the surface whether it's painted or not. If you decide to stick with an open trailer, I'd make a couple of temporary T-tops and a back window out of a heavy corrugated cardboard box (check the dumpsters behind an appliance store) and use all the duct tape you need to secure them in place.
:beer

Ok, now that I have ALL the info that I need to give advice, Without sounding like an a--hole, I would STRONGLY recommend the enclosed trailer!!! The extra FEW dollars spent on that WILL off-set the cost of x-tra body work and the cost of a cover!!! just my .02 worth!!!!:D

Hello , here's another alternative.why not have a local crating/spipping company make you a container to fit your trailer. i am sure the cost will be less than the enclosed trailer.
our shop at disney uses a local company that specializes in crating, and we've built some really odd shaped things to be shipped on trucks/flatbeds
i would definately have peace of mind,know my corvette was sealed up and secure.

Robin

p.s the crate would also make a great temp storage container for your resto parts.

When I was young and inexperienced, I "attemped to" tow my 54 Corvette to a local show WITH my fancy blue embroidered car cover in place. I made it out of my driveway, and onto the local 2 lane main road.

After I got to about 20MPH, I looked in the mirror of my truck, and saw the cover billowing like a spinnaker sail. Before I could pull off on the shoulder of the road, the cover was half blown off....at 20MPH. Learned a lesson...it can't be done.

I've seen guys do it...with the covers tied around the car. The cover will beat the dickens out of the car/paint/chrome, and cause LOTS of damage. Chuck

Where are you going from and to, and what is the timeframe? Maybe sombody with an enclosed trailer can hook you up with a good deal.

Otherwise, I agree, don't use a cover on an open trailer. Just seal up all openings (t-tops etc.) with plastic/cardboard/tape for weather protection, and that's the best that you can do.

Thanks for all the good advice. I will be using an open trailer with no cover or an enclosed unit, not sure yet. I need to check if the car can be insured going on an open trailer. If not, guess I will have to go with the enclosed trailer. Glad I posted the question, your suggestions and experience has opened my eyes to the cover problems while in transit. Thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom