Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need help on DIC code 28tcd/C1281H!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike Todd
  • Start date Start date
M

Mike Todd

Need help on DIC code 28tcs/C1281H!!

I currently was involved in a rear end collision. When I received my car back from the body shop, I am now getting "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON" messages on my DIC. This appears when the 28TCS / C1281 H error appears.

What is this code? It says something about "Steering Sensor Uncorrelated Malfunction".

How do I fix this and could this of been caused by the rear end collision? I did have it aligned as well.

Please help, this will cost me a fortune if I keep taking it to the dealer.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Todd said:
I currently was involved in a rear end collision. When I received my car back from the body shop, I am now getting "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON" messages on my DIC. This appears when the 28TCS / C1281 H error appears.

What is this code? It says something about "Steering Sensor Uncorrelated Malfunction".

How do I fix this and could this of been caused by the rear end collision? I did have it aligned as well.

Please help, this will cost me a fortune if I keep taking it to the dealer.

Thanks,
Mike
Anything is possible after a rear end collision, however, I think it unlikely a problem with MagnaSteer is caused by that unless there was an SIR depolyment in the accident.

To start...I'd clear codes and road test. If that DTC resets, then you've got a problem.

Solving C1281 is not easy for a DIY who lacks a scan tester and a Service Manual. Also, depending on where the troubleshooting process in the service manual leads you, you may need a "Pin Out" box (which is a GM J-tool) and a DMM. The solution and repair to this fault code can be time consuming and complex. If you lack the tools and the service data, I'd take the car to a service facility which has those resources.

HI there,
When an alignment is done, the steering wheel position sensor MUST be correctly centered, to avoid a code.
While the alignment could cause the issue, I would suspect something else.
Your ABS/TCS control module on your car is directly below your rear bumper, mounted to the subframe. IF ANY OF THE WIRES were damaged, therein could be your issue.
Honestly, I would take it right back to the body shop.
If you really did NOT have the code before, and you have it now, I would propose the the car was not fixed correctly.
Allthebest, and please keep us posted, c4c5:hb

Thanks a bunch,
I took my car to the dealer (Who are very nice people) Friday morning and they told me that the "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON " message was from the 10pcm/p1571H code from reappearing everytime they cleared it. I told them this was normal on a 97 vette and this code could not be permanently cleared. I have cleared this code many times and never seen this message. They didn't even know it could be checked on the dash.

My oil pressure sensor unit is not working also, this to quit working as a result of the wreck. It is pegged out when the car is not running. They want to replace this first ($400) then see if it corrects the "SVS" message. I want to fix the "SVS" problem and see if the oil pressure beginss to work again. I do not want to throw money at these problems if the problems are not clear..

My repair shop is great, I have an appointment Tuesday to put it back on the rack and look underneath for the obvious. I will take my car back to the place that aligned it as well. I will print these out and take with me, THIS HELPS ME A BUNCH!!!! Will let both of you know what I find

Thanks,

I believe only a vette owner knows a vette better than anyone else......even the dealer in some cases!

Mike

The Dealer has informed me that the unit located on the rear bumper was not working properly. As he was describing, it was not physically damaged but was not working. They are going to replace it at a cost of over $1,000. They are talking with the insurance company as I speak. This is what was giving the "Service Vehicle Soon" message. The steering not aligned was a 1288 code as I was told. The steering wheel is not 100% aligned and I am going to take it back as well.

Now I have to convince them my oil pressure gauge quit working due to the accident. This I may have to pay for myself.

Thanks guys,
This gave me the correct plan of action to deal with this.

Mike

I had the 1281 code and it was a bad steering sensor part is $160 wholesale and list for $245. It cost me another $300 for the dealer to install (they have to disable airbags). It got rid of my service vehicle problem.

Good luck keep us posted.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom