Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Help Re-Connecting Wiper Motor Pawl SPRING!

pgtr

Corvette
96Cpe
Hello,

When I removed my wiper motor cover to check out the Parking Switch - the little spring that connects to (what I guess is) the parking pawl was not connected to anything else - it was just sitting in the slot in the white nylon cover to the parking switch.

I circled the one place I know the spring attaches to. There are several small holes in the white nylon cover on the parking switch - maybe one of those?

Thanks!

17316708650_84cbf65b58_b.jpg

Here's two pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! That helped.

The FSM suggested servicing the Wiper Park Switch for my specific problem but no joy.

My wipers turn on/off normally UNLESS I push the washer button on the stalk - then BOTH the wipers and the washer pump will run indefinitely irregardless of switch position until I turn off the ignition. I'm OK as long I don't push the washer pump button on the stalk.

At this point I guess it's 50/50 to either replace the wiper motor board/cover or the wiper switch on the column...

Thanks! That helped.

The FSM suggested servicing the Wiper Park Switch for my specific problem but no joy.

My wipers turn on/off normally UNLESS I push the washer button on the stalk - then BOTH the wipers and the washer pump will run indefinitely irregardless of switch position until I turn off the ignition. I'm OK as long I don't push the washer pump button on the stalk.

At this point I guess it's 50/50 to either replace the wiper motor board/cover or the wiper switch on the column...

if you got it back together and timed now and it is still doing it here is a little something I found when I was having a similar problem. find a good ground point touch it to the screws and case. I had a car years ago that wipers worked fine till you shut them off then wipers would stop but the park mode would go crazy and the arms would bounce up and down 2" until you turned off the key and they would park when key was turned on. changed park switch still did it.

monkeyed with the screws while it was failing and it parked then I realized the TORX driver was resting on valve cover and Vac. pipe to brake booster so I ran a ground to the lower screw and it worked as long as I had the car.

Last edited:
Thanks! That helped.

So putting the spring back on solved one of the problems and now the only thing wrong is the wiper and washer pump don't shutoff when you operate and release the Push Paddle?

When you reinstalled the black plastic cover did you make sure the metal pin/stud was positioned in the area with in the dotted lines shown in the picture below? You can use your hand and manually spin the Blue plastic piece to change its position.

The metal pin rotates the Blue colored plastic piece. The metal pin does not install in the slotted groove in the Blue colored plastic piece even though it looks like it should.

Last edited by a moderator:
So putting the spring back on solved one of the problems and now the only thing wrong is the wiper and washer pump don't shutoff when you operate and release the Push Paddle?

Actually the spring issue was coincidental - it likely came off when I first removed the cover and was 'fumbling' with the park switch. This was while servicing the park switch for the problem of continuously running wipers/washer after pushing the washer paddle button.

When you reinstalled the black plastic cover did you make sure the metal pin/stud was positioned ...

Yes - all lined up. Everything works fine including parking the wipers (if I don't hit the washer paddle button).

Using a test light I get a temporary on/off light coinciding with pushing the washer paddle button on the Light Blue and Brown wires at the motor connectors (I don't have the diagram in front of me and don't recall the letters of terminals). That would indicate nothing is sticking on the steering column switch. The most likely culprit I'm thinking is the logic board on the cover - a timer gone haywire or a relay sticking or something...

Thanks,

Fixed - it was the board inside the cover. Received a new one in the mail today.

If anybody has wiper problems... couple thoughts to pass on...

The FSM steers you towards the Park Switch in some cases. The Park Switch is probably the cheapest component. If suspected, it can be removed and reasonably examined and bench tested w/ a continuity tester and 12V power supply. Mine appeared to be fine so I reinstalled it.

Likewise the switch on the column can be checked with a simple test light for most of it's functions at the wiper motor plugs. Mine appeared fine so I left it alone.

That leaves the cover/board. There are tests in the FSM to help troubleshoot it further but I didn't feel it was worth the time in my case as it appeared to be the last component and just bought a new one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom