Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

need help (ride height)

Jack & Bullitt,

I maybe mistaken , but I think the 1970 model is when they made the change ( mini-flares ). in the fenders. Both front and back.

I wish they had done it in 68!!

I just checked one of my catalog's and the front clip is the same for 68 and 69.

Also the mini-flared is the same for 70 thur 72.

Jack is of course right about the wheels being 7" compared to to 8" for the 69

Thanks guy's

Rick

You guys may have already considered this and if so ignore my remarks.

When I replaced my front coils I had a heck of a time getting the front end to look normal----namely not like a Sox+Martin launch. What I found was that the upper spring must be mounted properly in its "socket". It's more important that the upper part of the spring seated than the bottom of the coil. It took about 6 tries and a lot of patience but I finally got it seated.

My fender height at that point was 27.5 inches, which is within the specs from the AIM. At that point the ride height looked normal or stock.

I wanted an even lower look though and cut about 3/4 of a coil from each side and now my fender height is at 26.5 inches.

:w Hey 1970Stingray, glad to see ya. Whatcha been up to, man? I think I've already said this, but that Vette of yours really is an inspiation for me. Back to the topic. Which aftermarket supplier did you get your coils from? Mine are still good, but I was thinking of changing them for performance sake, but I'm still not sure if it's necessary. Glad to see you around again. --Bullitt

Mines

About an inch taller in the front, than 70's pix
(Nice ride!!!!!!!!!!)

Small block, A/C, stick.

Mike

Thanks Bullitt----I've been busy working two jobs, plus problems with other vehicles etc. I usually hang out at the other forum too. I haven't had much time to spend on the Vette. I'm currently dismantling an '89 350 from my rusted out Suburban. I plan to rebuild this 350 and plop it into my '70. I will then do a good Hi-po rebuild on the 4-bolt NOM from my '70.

I had to replace the Suburban with a new 2001 Excursion V-10!

Anyway, I got my coils from Advance Auto. They're made by TRW and cost me $48/pr. They are shorter than the stock SB coils I removed. As you can see the new spring is shorter than the stock coil but the diameter of the bar from which it is made is thicker.

Also, If there is any noticeable spacing between the coils, the larger spaced coils should be installed in the lower CA. The shorter spaced coils(if any) should be installed into the upper CA

Coilsizecomparo.jpg

? for 1970 Stingray

Hi Len:
I've long been an admirer of your silver coupe ... especially your wheel-tire combo (16x8 American Racing 200S Torque Thrust II's matched with 255-50-16 Goodyear Eagle HP-Ultra-Plus tires) ... GREAT looking car!!! Len, are your fender height dimensions with the 16" combo or w/stockers?

I've got new box of TRW springs awaiting install ... mine are pn CS5762 and appear same as in your comparison pic. Len, do you recall pn of your TRW springs?

Len's so right about installing the closer-spaced coils toward spring tower and properly seating into tower. My AIM for '71 also notes:
End of coil must be 0.38" ± 0.12" from stop.
Rick: Thanks for making the distinction that '70 up had more fender flare ... you're so right ... & not '69 up as I'd tried to recall.
JACK:gap

You could also cut a half a coil off and that would lower the front.

Thanks Jack, the fender measurements are with the 16in wheels/tires. It's been over a year since I did my coils but I'll see if I can find a receipt with the part-numbers on them at home. I'm at work now till 9pm but will look tomorrow am.

Thanks for the compliments.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom