Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

need help with balancer

poorboys831

Corvette
1993 ruby red coupe
hi people-what is the best and safest way to stop the balancer pulley from moving when trying to loosen it? I got the car trailored back home and am now in the process of changing the h2o pump and the opti-thanks dennis :w

I assume

as your pulling it.. so it doesnt rotate by itself? Or so the engine doesnt turn?????

Vig!

Hi Vig,finally some help -as I'm trying to get the 3- 5/8's bolts out-the car is in park and up on ramps thanks Dennis:w

Put it in high gear (manual) or park & have a bud hold the brake. I can't say for sure on a 93 ... but on most chevy's there's no need to remove the pulley in order to remove the balancer. Usually can remove balancer with pulley still bolted to balancer.

Wrong ... my bad ... ya need those three holes for the puller tool to bolt into. Try some penetrant (PB Blaster) on the bolt threads.

o.k. let me rephrase it -I need to get the pulley off to get to the opti-every time I pull on the socket the pulley turns -my concern is -Is it o.k. to jam something into the holes of the pulley so it won't turn-it is in park- thanks dennis:w

Cars a stick?

Or Auto?

I assume you do not own air tools.. and impact would be handy right about now.

So removing the 3 pulley bolts right?

FIRST
Spray some WD or other stuff on the BACK SIDE of the harmonic balancer the bolts go thru...

2nd
Hard way
( IF its an auto ) Drop the access hatch for the torque converter... you can use a crowbar to LOCK the flexplate so the crank doesn't turn.

Alt method
Get one of the BIG sears Belt wrenches ( like on TV) and use that to counter the torque, you will probably need some form of extention ( like an old pipe ) to put on the belt wrench.

The 3 bolts are FINE thread... SO DO NOT LOOSE EM! and make sure your puller kit has matching ones.... and DO NOT USE THE point tip for the puller....I ALWAYS USE THE FLAT ONE.. the point one MIGHT bugger the starting threads...

Vig!

So the crank turns

I wouldn't wedge anything thru those holes to lock the pulley!

But if your back is against the wall use a wood dowel....

Vig!

thanks guys-sometimes it takes a jam or two in the brain to get mine going-Iused to always open the inspection cover on auto-trans and use a stout screw driver to stop the engine from turning when we worked on the front of engines-that was when I was in h.s. umpteen years ago-thanks people will go back to work in the morning :w thanks again dennis

Those bolts should be on

45 ftlbs... not gorilla time.

If you didnt have a crowbar you could use a piece of wood to wedge the ring gear... still thinking in McGiver terms.

Vig!

hi guys thanks again for the help got the balancer off.I washed it down with deruster stuff and let it sit for about three hours and tapped it right off.I got shipped the wrong Opti(95-96) so they are shipping me another one in the morning.kind of discouraging but it will give me more time to really clean up the front of the engine-it's nice to be able to power wash it without having to worry about water getting into the opti.By the way I only paid $282.00 for it at Van Devere's and he apologized upside down and sideways for the mistake-He gave me a good suggestion on the water pump when i install the new one-that is: silicone a flexible tube into the weep hole so if the pump does leak it won't drip onto the opti. :w

Hmmm

Use a big hammer and a glob of chicken fat and you are all set and ready to go!

Then again, maybe I am thinking of something else... :nono

:D
Fiddler

Personally, I put a couple of garden slugs on the bolts that need to be removed. After a while (slugs aren't too fast!) the nuts are properly slimed and will spin right off! No problems!

But I do like having a backup plan with the chicken fat and large hammer suggestion!

Slugs & Chicken fat YEECH!

when your ready to re install get some anti seize compound ( not this other stuff ...Ewwww) and while your there... Do the front timing cover seal.....

Vig!

Speaking of ordering parts, has anyone used gmpartdirect.com? I have a friend that's an Olds guy and mentioned the site. The price on an opti for my 95 is $230 which sounded pretty good.

Leon

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom