Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

need help with workbench

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
Hi all
I'm starting to learn how to do my own work on my '65 coupe so now I need a workbench area in the garage.
The garage is a basic 2-car garage but there isn't a lot of extra room to work with. On the side where my wife parks her car there is no extra room at all to work with.
About the only space available is right in front of where I park the Vette which is also the only space available for me to keep the graden tractor and wagon so I'm trying to get a bit creative on ideas to still be able to fit a workbench in.

See the attached pics below to see the space in front of the Vette:

What I'm thinking of is building a bench over the wagon. The 2 sides that butt up against the wall can be held up by a 2"x4" brace into the wall for the bench top to sit on than two legs attached to the front of the bench that is just outside the wheel of the wagon. This would allow the wagon to stay stored under the bench and it can be rolled out when needed (with the tractor out of the way). This would basically just be a simple table that fits over the wagon and would be extremely simple to build. It would really just consist of the 2"x4" braces on the wall, 2"x4" legs and a 1/2" or 3/4" piece as the tabletop itself. It wouldn't be very big but it would give me more room to work than I have currently and at least a place to put tools and parts down rather than on the floor.

for more room I'm than also considering a hinged bench top over the tractor. I figure I can again mount a 2"x4" brace on the wall and hinge the top to that with legs attached to the top that are also hinged to swing down. This way it could normally be stored hinged UP and hooked to the wall out of the way over the tractor (the wire shelf you see above the tractor would have to go). The front legs being hinged would lay flat while it is in the up position. Than when I need it I could unhook it and lower it to sit over the tractor (just like the other one would be sitting over the wagon).
This would give me additional workspace area when I'm actually working on the car but out of the way and in the UP position when I'm not so I'd be able to utilize the tractor and get to it when I need.

This is about the only idea I've been able to come up with so I'm hoping that maybe some of you creative types might be able to come up with some other ideas.

Keep in mind, I have NO other place to keep the tractor and wagon so they have to be able to stay and share the space with the workbench (otherwise this would be easy!). In my development we are NOT allowed to put up any kind of outdoor shed for me to store the tractor and other garden tools in or else they would already be outside rather than the garage.

so............if any of you have any ideas for me I'd love to hear them.
Oh........ I have a basic ability to build the bench as long as the woodworking doesn't get TOO complex.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas you may have! :beer

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

God, Barry, those shelves and the vette parked head into the tractor look like an accident waiting to happen. First, I'd consider putting something solid on the shelves like a piece of panel cut to width. Don't you find the smaller bottles rocking when you set them up there?
Next I see the possibility of you thinking you're in reverse and you're in gear and the car getting some green paint transfer, causing us to have to call in Catherine Willows:D and the CSI team to determine it was from the JD. Or maybe you taking your foot off the clutch a little too quick when you're in a hurry and the car hasn't fully shut down and you experience the car jumping into the JD (again, call in Catherine Willows, but I wanna watch).
I don't know if you ever answered this before, but do you have the yard room for a utility shed?

Dennis
The stiff on the shelves are a bit messy at the moment but nothing falls off or is unstable at all. All the bottles and stuff are rock steady up there so that really isn't an issue.

my housing community is deed restricted and we are not allowed to put up any type of outdoor utility shed. i'm even willing to have a custom shed built on a concrete pad, with siding and a roof to match the house and everything but they will not allow it to any kind of additional shed outside is not an option at all.
There is no other place at all to move the tractor and wagon so I'm really stuck with it where they are and I just have to work around my limitations in the garage the best I can as as I know you are another JD guy keeping the tractor outside when not in use is not an option - it deserves the garage as much as the Vette does.

I built a couple of the hinged-to-the-wall fold-down benchtops in smaller garages I had many years ago, about 18" x 36" or so; better than nothing, and they fold out of the way - just can't store anything on them. They have them these days ready-made for laundry rooms, about the same size, with spring-loaded folding metal supports below that screw into the studs (try Lowe's or Home Depot); my wife has one in the laundry room that she flips up for folding clothes.
:beer

good idea John, that could save some effort. I'll check them out and see what they are like.
clothes are not too heavy but I'd want it to be stong enough to be able to put parts on such as the intake, exhaust manifolds, etc when I take them off the car so it would have to be strong enough to hold parts like that at least.
If nothing else I could look at them than copy the general design with heavier wood. 1/2" or 3/4" MDF is heavy but it's also pretty strong and will support a lot of weight so that's what I was thinking about for the bench tops.
Someone on another forum even suggested a door and if I found one with the casing and hinges already attached would be very easy.
i'd thinking now instead of using front legs for the section over the tractor that the front could be supported by chains at the two front corners attached to the wall. When I flip it down the chains would hold the front up in position

i'll definately check out the solution you suggested at HD or Lowes though.
Thanks! :beer

Are you allowed to pour a concrete slab? Then set the tractor on it and tarp it. Another opption, is there room to add a few feet to the garage? and would they allow that?
Glenn
:w

One option I have is the bottom of one of Sears' big roll around tool chests that I made a top for and fastened a small vice to it. I drag it right up to where I'm working. It's no deeper than the chest but wider. Take a piece of 3/4" plywood and double it up with some Elmer's glue (the yellow stuff) and it will be practicaly bullet proof. Don't have any pics or I would show you the chest.

The second is just an opinion, if I was so limited on space the JD would sit out side under a good cover. I'm with ZRGator, those shelves give me the heebe jeebes.

The folding bench idea seems to me to be the way to go. I would strongly suggest using at least 3/4" plywood, not mdf, and 2 layers, glued and screwed together (use 1-1/4" or 1" drywall screws) (solidly attached to the wall). You will likely be doing at least a little hammering now and then to remove stubborn bits, and mdf just isn't very durable in that event. Also, at least a small fixed or stationary bench would be good, as you would then have a place to mount a bench vice - a tool I've found indispensible while working on my '74. The rolling tool cart with a top would be useful, too. You didn't mention how wide your garage is, but you might even consider a folding bench perhaps 16"-18" wide along one side wall - it would make a good tool and parts rest closer to the car while working on it.

Build a shed off your garage and get those dang car scratching lawn tools out of the garage, theeennn you'll have plenty of room.;)

again, an outside shed in NOT an option under any circumstances - it's not allowed in my housing development and the tractor also cannot be stored outside. The only place available for everything is in the garage so I have to work around it.

Grizzy, the idea of a small rolling cart is good, thanks!

purple, I've used 3/4" MDF plenty before so I know it's nice and solid, doesn't warp, etc but never considered the hammering aspect and you are probably correct there. The plywood may be a better option and also likely less expensive. The flip up bench would only be over the tractor itself while over the wagon would be built as stationary as I could roll the wagon out from underneath it as needed.
The garage is none too extra wide so on the sides there is really just enough room to open the car doors about halfway to get in and out so a side bench isn't really an option even though it would be nice! I have so little available room to work with everywhere that even figuring out where to put a toolchest is going to be difficult.

looks like I was on the right track thinking of the flip up bench idea over the tractor. I don't see any other real options with my limitations.

Thanks all! :beer

Workbench

You can gain a lot of room by parking that good looking vette in my garage, next to mine!:L

Seriously, I've been creative with workbenches in the past. I even made a triangular shaped one to fit a small garage once. You might consider this in that corner of your garage to gain a little more bench space. Good luck.

Dennis

Little, I hadn't thought of that. I'll take a look and see if that might gain me anything. Thanks for the idea! :beer

I've got 13' of "normal" benchtop space. And I also used an old exterior door that I snatched out of a remodeling dumpster. The door has no panels and had three very sturdy hinges already attached. Used a 2x4 brace against the wall to attache the hinges. It swings up and out of the way when not in use. A small,cheap barrel lock secures it in the up position. I bought two more "door" hinges and hinged the legs so they lay flat against the door when in up position. When lowering the doors, the weight of the 2x4 legs allow them to swing down into position. That would probably work for you, but you might hav eto move the white shelving up a little to allow for the "door" in the up position.

Ruby, that sounds almost exactly like what I had originally had in mind although I hadn't thought of using a door until it had been suggested on another forum and now you also suggest it. Sounds like it may be the easiest and best way to go. Even the leg idea of being hinged is what I envisioned. The only thing that may mess up the hinged leg idea is whether or not the tractor will actually get in the way of the legs swinging up or back down. I'll have to take some measurements for that.
Yep, I figure the white shelf over the tractor will have to come down to make it work but that's a very minor loss and I'll figure something else for that needed storage space.
Thanks for the confirmation that the idea is "do-able".
:beer

The door is a good idea - just be certain to get a solid-core door. Those hollow-core masonite doors wouldn't stand up to any abuse at all. On your fold-down legs you might put a couple of inexpensive latches to hold them in place, so they can't accidentally get kicked out and cause problems. Perhaps you could find some used kitchen wall cabinets for overhead storage. Set up against the ceilng should give you decent clearance, they usually have at least 2 shelves, and the doors can reduce the cluttered look, and look cool too!

purple, yes, I was also thinking about latches for the hinged legsso they lock into place (sorta like on fold-away card tables)
The cabinet idea is a good one if I can find some at a reasonable price. I think Home Depot and Lowes may have some not too expensive that are used for laundry room and such.
thanks for the ideas. :beer

Here is my 13' section, followed by the fold up, but it was just before I added the legs, you can see them leaning against the wall
168workbench.jpg

168foldbenchnolegs.jpg

wow, you have a LOT more workable space than I do to work with!

I'm definately going with the stationary bench over the wagon and the flip up one over the tractor. Now I just have to get a bit creative to find a spot to put a tool chest in and find a small corner for some more shelves since the white wire shelves over the tractor will have to go.
boy, i sure wish I had a bigger garage to make this all easier! :D

no matter what size you have or build etc, it will never be enough.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom