Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need help!

• Thread starter Thread starter secondchance
  • Start date Start date
S

secondchance

This afternoon, as I started the motor, heard a pop and sure enough she was running rough. I figured I blew the hose at MAP sensor on the back of the motor but it was intact. Nonetheless, it felt as if I had a vacuum leak. Also she was showing code 32-EGR valve.
As I am limping home, I noticed a smoke coming from passenger side front of the motor(where EGR valve is). It smelt like burning rubber.
Anyone had a similar experience? Is there a vacuum line going to EGR valve for 94 and 95?Vacuum schematic on ZR1 net does'nt show any EGR.

Thanks.

Just a thought…I had the pcv line blow off under the front of the plenum left side on my 91

Check the hose's that are just under the throttle body where the accelerator cable's connect. One go's to the pcv line the other supply's vacuume to the underside of the plenum.

Well, the ZR-1 is in service and I'm told that the EGR valve is stuck open and needs to be replaced. I asked them to save the old one so that I could at least get to see how it operates. Cost-$245 for the valve. Also I'm told that there are only three of these valves available. I don't know how true it is but if thats the end of supply what next when the next one fails.
Pre 93's did'nt have this valve, right?

I've never worked on a ZR1 EGR before , but I have on my wifes Cadillac North Star. It's basicaly an electric solenoid that was stuck open from too much carbon buildup. I was able to clean it and remove most all the buildup. So far, it has been working well eversince.

Well, for that reason, (you know no self-respecting mechanic is going to try to clean and reuse a part that may be broken) I asked for the old part. Like you said its just that-a machined bypass valve w/ solenoid pintle. I am going to clean it and figure out a way to test it.
The fact it was smoking(burnt rubber smell) makes me wonder if the solenoid is cooked though.

secondchance said:
Well, the ZR-1 is in service and I'm told that the EGR valve is stuck open and needs to be replaced. I asked them to save the old one so that I could at least get to see how it operates. Cost-$245 for the valve. Also I'm told that there are only three of these valves available. I don't know how true it is but if thats the end of supply what next when the next one fails.
Pre 93's did'nt have this valve, right?
Roger that no EGR valves on pre 405 pony motors. 84 CF 91 ZR-1

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom