Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Need Honest Opinion and Advice on Torq-Thrust II Wheels

Mitch

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1978 Black Coupe
Hey, everybody,
I have a few questions and really need some feedback. Let's see...I think I have found a deal on a set of wheels. They're a set of Torqu-Thrust IIs (15x8, 5on5). The man wants $400.00 plus shipping. He's in Tennesee and I'm in South Carolina. From what I understand the wheels are in great shape.
1st set of Questions:
1. Does this sound like a good deal?
2. What exactly does 5 on 5 mean??

In April I bought a '78 and at present, I have 15 x 8" wheels on it. I have nooo idea what kind they are or what they came off of--the previous owner didn't either! The tires are BFG Radial TA P225/70R15 on the front and P235/70R15 on the back. This is not such a good picture but you'll have a better idea:
zzzsilveranniversery1978vette-.jpg

2nd set of question:
1. what do you guys think...will the 15" Torqu-Thrust look OK on this car? (I see all too often that many are going with the 17" wheels, and they look good...but I'm leaning towards keeping it at 15" wheels).
2. Do you foresee any problems with the fitment on my car? (Presently there are spacers mounted in order to clear the brake caliphers. I haven't yet measured those).

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...&autoModel=Corvette&autoYear=1978&autoModClar=

Thanks all!

Mitchell

I agree. TT IIs are all the rage the days. Seems like everyone has a set in 17" on their C3. They may even be a bit over used.

Then again, for $400... you can't complain. That is a great price!

I went with 17" Torqlites from ARE shod with 255/50/17s so they would fill the wheel wells like the OEM 255/60/15s. I have all the benefits of a Z rate tire, lower profile, etc... and still keep the same stance as stock.

With Torqlites, no spacers required... granted the calipers are really close. I've logged 3k miles since putting my wheels on with no problems.

IMG_2075.jpg

5" on 5" is the wheel stud pattern. It will not work on a vette. The vette bolt pattern for the wheels is 5" on 4 3/4".

The 245-60-15 would be a wider tire, correct? But wouldn't the "60" lower my car and also wouldn't fill out my wheel wells?

Not quite.

A 245/60/15 has a 26.6" diameter while a 235/70/15 has a 28" diameter.

You want to keep as close as possible to 27" diameter.

If you want to play around with tire sizes...
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I think they will look good on your car, and I flip flop over the 15 & 17. I think if you are keeping a stock look to the car I would stay with the 15's.

:thumb

Hi Mitch

1975 Corvette:
I am using Torq-Thrust II Wheels 15X8 with NO Spacers, Direct fit no problems.
Rubber used 225/70/15 front and rear. I will change the front to 225/60/15, and maybe use a little wider tire on the rear like a 235/60 or 70/15, not sure yet!

A,R Model number 5055861 Backspace 3.75 Style 505 Fully Polished.

Note: The cheap road king tires used in the photo was for testing only.

P.S. Make sure you do a dry fit on all 4 "before mounting rubber".

Thanks.
Good Luck
Tom

012xb.jpg

Hey, everybody,
In April I bought a '78 and at present, I have 15 x 8" wheels on it. I have nooo idea what kind they are or what they came off of--the previous owner didn't either! The tires are BFG Radial TA P225/70R15 on the front and P235/70R15 on the back. This is not such a good picture but you'll have a better idea:
zzzsilveranniversery1978vette-.jpg

Mitchell

If I'm not mistaken, the rims on your car were made by a company named Permacast and they were pretty popular in the late '70's early '80's in fact you sometimes see them on the cars built by Motion Performance back then.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom