Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need input ..big troubles

The vedict is in. My mechanic is telling me is my "rod bearings" . he is saying I most likely need a entire bottom end rebuild. Including re-boaring the block, pistons and said the crankshaft shou be replaced while im in there. Im looking at upword of $2000 for this. Is that a fair price?? Do you really think the block will need to be reboared and new crankshaft with 80k on the car??

ASK TO SEE IT!

The block has to measured with a micrometer, inside each cylinder. There are specs for everything, including the the crank. IF the crank is scored as a result of lack of oil, spun bearing etc. it can be turned to a degree and oversize bearings used. The same with the cylinders and pistons, if for example you take .010 out of the cylinders, you use a .010 over piston and rings. I'm sure you'll get a more detailed explanation from others, storming here, got to go!

Rowdy1 is right. just cuz u spin a rod bearing doesn't mean you have to reboar the cyls and replace the crank. I would definetly go in and ask to see why they want to boar etc. if all the work IS necessary, i don't know if $2000 is a fair price, but at that you may want to consider selling the engine as-is, and using the 2k+selling price for a new crate engine. good luck

For starters I think $2K is to much. When I was looking for a rebuild on my engine I called around and the average price was 1400-1800 for a whole engine rebuild top and bottom with machine work. I found short blocks for $1K. They obviously have nothing special. Just enough for a low powered vehicle. If you are getting into a high powered engine then the price goes up real fast. It depends what you are looking for, or what you need.

Call around ask how much they will charge to rebuild the bottom end. You can also call and ask for short blocks already assembled. You already have a new top end.

What kills you is the labor!!

Good luck with your car

Frank

Well my thoughs are now if Im doing this, maybe I should just convert over to a 383 stroker. If Im thinking corectly I would just need to get the crankshaft and everything in doing already anyway.

Has anyone done this conversion if so how did the results turn out??

Short-blocks are going from $1200-$2000 from Scoggin-Dickey, brand new. I'm sure that a rebuilt or reman. block is cheaper. Compare that to a crate at $2000 (330hp/350) or a $3000 (330hp/350) that's got everything, but they're the same internals. If you neded just a rotating assembly, that could be cheaper. SD sells a 383 Kit for $925 with compression at 10.3, flat top pistons and with a SD nodular cast crank. The 350 GM forged crank kits are around $1200. I'll look through my PAW book and see what their kits are running for, if you're interested.

--Bullitt

Ditto ... ask to see it!

Have you determined WHY it spun rod bearing(s)? Was it your foot or the builder’s hand at fault ... or a shared responsibility? As for a 383/388 upgrade being an extension of a 350 overhaul ... it seems rather simple on paper ... BUT there’s a bit more (parts-time-$) involved in even a MILD 383/388 upgrade than swapping out the crank ... got that T-shirt. My mild 383/388 grew out a situation much like you’re in today. I’d be happy to discuss particulars involved but it’s too tiresome to type it. If you’d like, private e-mail me qaferret@aol.com and we can set up schedule a telecon ... I’ll be more than happy to share what I learned.

BTW, I sourced a new SCAT cast sbc stroker crank in NOV 01 from Adney Brown awbrown@tir.com ... delivered to my door for under $175.

You can see the bores from the bottom with oil pan off. Spun bearings do not necessarily mean you also need pistons/boring.
JACK:gap

That lifetime labor is pretty cool but if the thing is built right and you don't abuse it a lot it should last you a pretty good while.

After reading the components thats actually a pretty good setup and could take a bit of abuse and probably is good for a bit over 400hp. It just might be worth the $2K.

Frank

see what others post.

Hey what about shipping and stuff like that. Have you asked around your home town?

Frank

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom