Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need more head and legroom

seanof30306

Corvette
Want a C3 or a C4
I would love to have a C3 (preferably 68-73) or early C4 vette. The only obstacle is .... me.

I'm 6'5" and go 250; I just don't fit. I'll need to sit several inches lower and several inches further back to be comfortable. If I can't find a way to do it, I'll just have to give up on the dream, but I really don't want to.

Are there mounting brackets or seats available that will accomplish this for me? If not, how about doing away with the brackets altogether and mounting the seats directly to the floor, or even building seats directly in, ala street rods?

I know I'm big, but I'm not THAT big. I just can't help thinking someone out there hasn't come up with a solution to this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean

I'm 6"4", 240#. I fit just fine in my 69 convertible, with or without the top up.

My wife and I have driven this car thousands of miles on NCRS Road Tours to St. Louis, Bowling Green, and Long Island. It's not the most comfortable car compared to your daily driver, but it's OK.

Where "don't you fit" ?? :) I'm tall in the torso...I wear only 32 inch inseam pants. Chuck

I'm the opposite of you: "short waisted". I have long arms and legs (37" inseam), but don't look any taller than my 6'2" buddy when we're sitting down.

I am looking for a daily driver, and it's really important that I "fit". I sat in a 69 convertible awhile back. It was hard to get in and out of (with the top up), and my head constantly brushed up against the convertible top when I sat in it. I figure I need a minimum of 2" more headroom and 2" more legroom for an acceptable level of comfort.

Someone else suggested a C2, but I felt I fit even worse in the 66 convertible I drove. Besides, I don't believe any other vette, before or since, offers that wraparound, fighter plane cockpit experience like the early C3s do.

The 73 I'm looking at is a non-numbers-matching, small block/automatic driver; so I don't have a problem modifying it if I can just find a way to make it work for me.

Keep Trying them on

I know how you feel!
I am 6'7" and 260......have trouble with all cars. I found that in an 80-82, I have leg room and enough headroom to get by with when the tops are on. (I usually have the t-tops off). Try the Tilt/Telescope wheel.
It is really frustrating, I have looked for several years trying to find just the right vette, trying on almost every year and model. If you can go to a used corvette dealer and literally tyr them on for a fit. I found that an 80-82 fit and then started looking for the right car.... Finally found exactly the right one, and I love it. These are not an easy fit for us big guys.
Give the 80-82 a try.
Floyd

I'm 6'6" with a 38 inseam. I could only fit in the 80-82 and could not get in a 67. I tried butt first and then legs first and it is impossible. You are going to have to find a model you can fit because of the hump behind the seats. There is not much room for modification of the seat position in Vettes.

Didn't John Wayne order a fifty something Vette unseen and then had to give it away because he couldn't fit in it? Seems I heard that somewhere.

Good luck

i wonder what it is about 80-82s that makes them more roomy than other C3s? I would've figured all C3s would be pretty much the same.

I have an 1982 and it does have more room then my 1977 had. I think its becaues of the seat design (2 inch bolster opposed to 4 inch) and the fact that its electric and 6 way adjustible. It will go right back and sit right down.

Try one out...

I guess you could buy an earlier C3 and put the 80-82 seats in it....you'll need to power the seat motors...make sure theres enough depth to fit them etc...

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom