Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need opinions fast! Please Help.....

tnz5106

Corvette
'05 blk/blk coupe '92 red zr1
:WThis is my first post. I am brand new, I normally hang out on the corvette forum. I collect early c4's and zr1's. I currently have a '92 zr1 and have thought about purchasing a early B2K.

I have always been interested in the callaway cars, and now I have a chance to buy one. I have found #2 B2K coupe manual 4 with 60k miles, original, appears to be unmolested. If I can get the car for <20k, is that a great buy? I am going to have to sacrifice alot to get the funds, so it needs to be a super good buy and a good investment...................thanks

Welcome to the Callaway Forum :w

I have seen quite a few 87's show up recently on a certain auction site including the one you speak of. There is also another 87 w/ fewer miles, for $26k/obo and one w/ more miles for $19k, obo.

I have seen the #002 car and it did have some areas repainted. Take that for what it is worth - overspray was obvious. It is a significant Callaway and has had some (visual) updates - I am sure if you get it for the price you are thinking, it would only go up in value over time.

Also, if you do not buy that Callaway, be sure to check out the listings in the thread at the very top of this (main) web page titled: Callaway Corvettes for Sale - http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85226

Again, welcome! :beer

Ok, since you asked for 'opinions' here's mine.

I don't know the car, so I can't comment on condition vs. price, but if the condition is good, and you feel like it is worth it, I would say go for it, although my personal preference would be for a car with a few less miles on it.

If you collect C4s, then you know the market probably better than I do. Based on my experience in the past with C2s and C3s, collectability and value is based largely on production statistics and/or racing history. Within production statistics, I would go further and say it is focused mostly on engine/drive train options. (I get a kick of seeing ads for '1 of only X cars painted <insert your color here>,' but I really don't think that counts for nearly as much as a high performance option or racing history). Of course condition/mileage, etc. plays a role as well, but a great condition, low mileage car that they built 10,000 of will never be worth what it would be if they only built a few hundred of the same car.

I think that the C4s have clearly started back up the collectability curve. If you accept that, and you look for the 'limited production' C4s, you have basically your ZR1s, the Challenge cars, Grand Sports, 96 CEs/LT4s, and Callaways (Many would put Pace Cars in there as well, but those are mostly paint options in my opinion).

With a total production run of just over 500 cars, I think the Callaway cars in the long run will be one of the most collectible C4s. In the year or so I have been lurking and then posting in this forum, I think we've seen a definite increase in the pricess these cars are bringing (bad news for those, like me, who want another one) :ugh

So, I think the potential is definitely there. If the car is in decent condition, <$20K sounds like a pretty good price, also.:upthumbs

I looked at the #2 car a couple of years ago. The car was in decent condition when I looked at it. It had been repainted and was two tone. When you opened the doors, the jambs were a different color. There was also alot of overspray in the door hinge area where there was a black rubber boot. There was also a file of paperwork (receipts) that had been performed.

Overall, it would make a decent driver from the outward appearance. I can not comment on the mechanics of the car. Also, the Dymags were added by the Chicago owner. They looked great! I believe I still have the owners name from Chicago that had it on consignment at The Corvette Collection a couple of years ago. Let me know if you want that number.

I am no expert but this is what I remember about the car.

Regards,
George

Thanks everyone for your help, I think I am going to decline on #2. I am really focussed on the zr1's. I would love to have a b2k someday, but I was only interested in this car because I thought it was a "steal" at that price. I really am not in the position to buy another car right now, and I would have to sell one of my other cars in a fire sale to get the b2k. So if its not that great of a deal, its actually a relief to me.

I spent hours yesterday on the forums, internet, phone yeasterday and learned a great deal. I even got to speak to Reeves Callaway for quite awhile, he told me alot about the cars history..............thanks again!!;)

Welcome aboard, I almost bought the car about 2 years ago and the price was higher. I chose not to at the time as well, just did not get the vibe. I thought it was neat because it had the truck block. It is a nice piece of Callaway history for the right person.

Welcome aboard, I almost bought the car about 2 years ago and the price was higher. I chose not to at the time as well, just did not get the vibe. I thought it was neat because it had the truck block. It is a nice piece of Callaway history for the right person.
Yea, I feel the same way. Reeves told me some interesting early history about the car though involving him and Dave McLellan. If I could get the car for 15k, I would buy it, but I talked to the seller this morning, and she wont go below 20k or maybe 19k.

Great buy for someone though.........

If I could get the car for 15k, I would buy it, but I talked to the seller this morning, and she wont go below 20k or maybe 19k.

Great buy for someone though.........

With all due respect, the only Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes I have seen for under 19k, have been wrecked (and it showed, often still in a state of damage).

Good cars are just that - and worth the extra coin for no issues...

I hope this helps and from skimming the forum here, you probably already have determined this :cool

Good luck in your search and with questions, ask away :beer

If I can get the car for <20k, is that a great buy? I am going to have to sacrifice alot to get the funds, so it needs to be a super good buy and a good investment...................thanks
My two cents, a $20k price and a 60k mile car, sounds like you are talking a driver, not an investment. If you were going to buy another ZR1 as an investment, would you get one with 60k miles on the clock?

That said, I'd personally look at '88 or later cars because they were more powerful, fewer were made, and (in my opinion) are more attractive. And of course they are Corvettes, so '89 and laters have the ZF6, '90s have the newer dash, etc. I'd have to think '91s and especially 500 series ones would be the most collectible, but who knows.

I would suggest that if you want it as an investment, read up on the cars, know what they came with and didn't come with. Find out the history of the car you are looking at buying. And don't be in a rush. With only ~500 of them, there isn't a car exactly like what you want for sale at any given time. You may have to wait a bit and watch for that car thats "you".

SECOND THOUGHTS ON NOT BUYING!!

The car is scheduled to go out west tomorrow to an auction. I can't stop thinking about how well the B2K will look next to my ZR1. I think even though the car has driver mileage(60k), it being one of the very first callaways ever, it will be a sought after car someday. Maybe my kids can reep the benefits.

I will be able to buy the car for less than 20K (not much). One of my concerns though is not knowing much about forced induction. Is there anything special I need to be aware of when I go look at it (bearing noise, heat, etc)?

The seller and I will talk later today and firm everthing up, so if anyone has anything else to add, please hurry.................thanks;help

Hey, this may sound like a stupid question, but the sellers are bringing the car in the morning. How/where do I check the intercoolers? Thanks......;help

In case Steve doesn't check back before the car arrives, you can loosen the clamp(s) hoding the hoses for the intercoolers and lift them upwards and off. BE CAREFUL NOTHING DROPS DOWN INTO THE PIPES that now are open. Stuff a rag in there or something!

Now, look at the intercooler - if there is oil residue in there, there may be some blow-by past the seals.

Read this link: http://www.callawayownersgroup.com/Pages/Maintenance1.htm

I hope this helps :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom